New Skyactiv Family!

Nice photos of a couple Mazda's. Give us some feedback on comparing the driving experiences, now that you've done plenty of miles.

With 7,000 miles on the 3i, I have only a couple complaints...

At 6'0" broad shouldered, the seats are not the most comfortable for long distances. The side bolsters would be great for something with more dedication to being sporty (Miata, MazdaSpeed, etc), but for something I drive non-stop I far prefer the seats in the Elantra Limited or the CT200h. My only other complain would be the omission of the auto-climate in the iGT (whereas it's listed equipment in the sGT). I've ranted about Mazda cheating iGT owners out of this previously, and am still appalled it wasn't included. On long trips I seem to be constantly adjusting the climate... :(

For the money the car is great, but Mazda needs to take a serious lesson from Toyota. Ranting once more about the seating, Mazda should use the CT200h as the basis, and recognize it's a testament that larger more comfortable seats CAN be had in smaller cars. I drove a few (CT200h) and would have seriously considered a pre-owned one if the pricing would have been anywhere near the same as the new 3i.

Regarding the CX-5, it is something I LOVE getting into! Diving into exit ramps is just as fun as light on its feet as the smaller 3i, with just as rewarding a driving experience when found traversing exciting roads. The quick manual downshifting (or up) of the CX-5's transmission is FAR smoother than what is found in the 3i, which makes me wonder if I'm having a programming issue. The 3i downshifts are genuinely hard, lightly shuddering the car between gears. I'd be shocked if they have changed the transmissions that much between the two chassis. Seating position is fantastic, interior layout is dead-on, and I'm constantly amazed with how much more car the CX-5 is over the 3. Without a doubt the CX-5 was a fantastic purchase!

As for fuel economy - The wife and I joined fuelly and will start trying to track what we do. I'm 90% highway in the 3i, with the CX-5 90% in the city, so our numbers should be interesting. Cruising last week from Cincinnati to Nashville, (stopping only once and cruise control at the speed limit) I pulled a 44.6 mpg average for the trip!

Happy to answer anymore questions about the pair.

Back