New MX-5 Roadster Coupe

silverspeed03 said:
Although I like this car a lot, I would like to see a strictly hardtop coupe version.

Same here,although this car would be perfect for summer weather.But yeah,hopefully they come out w/ MS version of the MX-5 over here.

Is it just me or does that side profile look slightly S2000-ish? The weight thing will be an issue, but it doesn't matter if you put enough power to the wheels... Its all about the Power-to-weight ratio...

Cool that they finally did a hardtop/conv but not liking how the rear looks with the top up. Doesn't look as balance front/rear size wise like the rear is just a bit to long.

But sweet non the less.

Unless it adds a ton of weight, I'm very wow-ed.

The NB seems more like a purist's car than the NC anyway. (Although I have to give the NB negatives for looks and also significantly too squinchy for me.... I like the room in my '90). It's not like it's bloated -- not at all compared to the alternatives-- so might as well have a little extra convenience and security while weighing in at considerably less than the Boxster. Now, just up the power to Boxster S levels and: heaven.

Anyway, kudos. This seems awesome. I'd buy one if money were no object.

Last edited:
A couple things about the NC-- I like the 16's much better than 17's. It looks like a ridiculous Hot Wheel with the 17's. I'd find the most tasteful aftermarket 16's I could find.... I'd consider 15's but that'd probably look way small for the fenders.... even with meaty rubber.

Secondly, I'd remove the Altezza-type tails.... piss on them... crush them.... then light them on fire. There is a replacement by now.... uhhh right?

SilverBulletES said:
A couple things about the NC-- I like the 16's much better than 17's. It looks like a ridiculous Hot Wheel with the 17's. I'd find the most tasteful aftermarket 16's I could find.... I'd consider 15's but that'd probably look way small for the fenders.... even with meaty rubber.

Secondly, I'd remove the Altezza-type tails.... piss on them... crush them.... then light them on fire. There is a replacement by now.... uhhh right?

Hey,they look better than the MS6 rims.Now those are hidious!!I mean,you can change them.

As for the Altezzas,yeah,I agree I'd prolly change those,if not smoke them.They were trying to give it the RX-8 feel.

Lets not get too crazy about the addition of weight. I didn't recall seeing and final specs on the car. Besides as newer cars are built the additional weight is inevitable because of safety features and creature features. It would be nearly impossible to build the newer MX-5's to weigh as little as the original NA Miata's.

I think the retractable hardtop is a damn good idea and I look forward to owning one when it is released here in the states. I look at things this way.... If I want a kick ass light weight roadster, I have thousands of 90-97 Miata's to choose from already on the previously owned/used market. Buying one, modifying the crap out of it wouldn't be to much trouble and would ultimately be cheaper that trying to buy a new miata and modifying it. Cars are not like wives fellas, they won't get angry if you have a mistress miata. I other words, just buy a second roaster for cheap.

APEXistud said:
Lets not get too crazy about the addition of weight. I didn't recall seeing and final specs on the car. Besides as newer cars are built the additional weight is inevitable because of safety features and creature features. It would be nearly impossible to build the newer MX-5's to weigh as little as the original NA Miata's.

I think the retractable hardtop is a damn good idea and I look forward to owning one when it is released here in the states. I look at things this way.... If I want a kick ass light weight roadster, I have thousands of 90-97 Miata's to choose from already on the previously owned/used market. Buying one, modifying the crap out of it wouldn't be to much trouble and would ultimately be cheaper that trying to buy a new miata and modifying it. Cars are not like wives fellas, they won't get angry if you have a mistress miata. I other words, just buy a second roaster for cheap.
Somehow a 200# additional vehicle weight sends the entire Miada community into an uproar. For somereason they fail to realize, like you said, the additional weight comes from creature comforts like a quieter cabin when the top is up, or that the weight is more than compensated with an engine that puts out 20% more power. If I had the money, a NC hardtop would be in my garage. As soon as I get rid of the door cupholders, and alteza lights... then I'll keep my track car, a turbo-91 Miada :)

I personally don't mind the additional weight a turbo or supercharger will make up for that just fine. I'd drop down a wheel size or two and rock that all day long.

Pull out all the door panels and insulation. I'm sure you can make back some of the weight and the car will still be warmer and quieter than before.

2060718.014.mini5L.jpg

2060718.014.mini6L.jpg

2060718.014.mini8L.jpg

2060718.014.mini9L.jpg

2060718.014.mini10L.jpg

2060718.014.mini11L.jpg

2060718.014.mini12L.jpg

2060718.014.mini13L.jpg

2060718.014.mini14L.jpg

2060718.014.mini16L.jpg

Back