New Mazda 2. Somewhat new to Autocross

It's funny how things work with SCCA vehicle classing. The RSX Type S, for example, is a G Street class car whereas the Fiesta ST is H Street. But the moment you apply ST-legal mods to the car, the RSX Type S falls back into STF, while the Fiesta ST gets sent straight to STX.

By the book, the proper way to get things done is to apply for an SCCA membership, and then write to the SEB to protest the Fiesta ST classing. For many of the more casual people, however, this is too much trouble for what it is worth.

This is why I always have a love and hate relationship towards the SCCA SEB.

Yeah there's an RSX Type S that I dread having to compete against from time to time. His car seems better prepped, and he's definitely a better driver, but I'm slowly gaining.

At our first event of the season, a few of us were discussing the reclassing of the Fiesta. It didn't make any sense to us, since locally they seemed pretty even. The first day the Fiesta posted the better raw time, and the second day the Focus did. Weather may have played a factor since it was snowing the first day, but still, they were very close both days.

FWIW the 2 was and will never be competitive in HS. The gearing is terrible, wheels are narrow, springs are soft, and COG is high. A Mini is still probably the car to have. It has a much better rear suspension(multi link) and stiffer/lower/wider wheels as well.

The Mazda3 is also better due to more power. It can beat Minis on larger courses, especially if there are any digs from low speed to redline.

FISTs are HEAVY so don't forget that. And its all up front. I've driven a Fiesta ST and still like my 2 more IMO.

Do yourself a favor and try to resist putting sticky tires on the skinny wheels with just a rear bar. It's been done, but I would advise against it. it's just a matter of time before it ends up on its lid. If you want to stay in HS, get the shocks first, or just keep the stock tires in the car, and run the snot out if them.

The Fiesta ST is perfect in HS; a great competitor for the base MINI, the RSX in STF is a whole different story. But thems the rules and until an over dog hits the class, it's all up for grabs.

I just finished my first AutoX in the Mazda2.
When I got to the event, I found that I was competing with three Fiesta ST's, Civic Si, and a Mazda 3, all with experienced drivers and performance summer tires. I was a little worried.
When I was doing the course walk, I knew I would be in trouble. Two smooth high speed turns. In all of the excitement, I forgot to turn the A/C off, remove my floor mats and spare tire, and I forgot to turn off stability control.

My fastest time was 46.9 seconds, about 2 seconds behind the slowest Fiesta ST and 4 seconds behind the fastest Fiesta ST. I matched the Mazda 3 2.3L in times and beat the Civic Si by 4 seconds.
Anyhow, I was still happy with my time considering I forgot to turn off A/C and Stability Control and that my tires are used up , mismatched, economy all season tires.

I know it depends on the driver, but I was surprised to be faster than some Camaro's, Mustang GT's, WRX's, and even some modified NA and NB MX-5's.
The fastest cars of the day ran the track in about 38 seconds. An RX-8, two Corvette's, NC MX-5, and an S2000 CR.

Last edited:
You should easily drop 2 seconds just learning the limits more and turning ESC off. Nice job!

FWIW I think long sweeping courses is what these cars excel at. Its the pin type u-turns + long straights that are its weakness relative to other cars.

Here are some pictures from the event:
17016842769_fbb2446e4f_c.jpg

17202423111_6f28d8f646_c.jpg

17201350582_24fb8aeee9_c.jpg

17202509891_f56fe6de2b_c.jpg

17015497830_bfb4b6cce7_z.jpg

17202444811_a0f2de0faa_c.jpg

17015488690_7c6994d451_c.jpg

17015486670_18b7fab3a4_c.jpg

17201358532_b8009c816d_c.jpg

16582815853_ca401f270a_c.jpg

17202435111_957e25c3d2_c.jpg

16582812523_dd3a75708f_c.jpg

16995578187_1106d390f4_c.jpg

Warminsters a tough site. You got to see Slevine run (Orange STX FRS). Perry took 700 or so pics. check out www.autox4u.com to see if he got one of you.

Are you going to make the trip up to MetLife this weekend? I'll be up there Sunday.

Warminsters a tough site. You got to see Slevine run (Orange STX FRS). Perry took 700 or so pics. check out www.autox4u.com to see if he got one of you.

Are you going to make the trip up to MetLife this weekend? I'll be up there Sunday.

Yeah I saw my picture on autox4u.com. I'm still not sure about MetLife yet. I will decide Saturday night.
17035404890_931e29d04b_n.jpg

T is a classing that we use for Street Tired cars running in Street Prepared, Prepared or Modified classes. I'm sure these cars would fit into another class, but we offer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Merkur is good looking, is it fast in its class?
I'm assuming you mean the Ford Sierra XR4? It looks fast, but it isn't that quick.

The #44 1989 Ford Sierra XR4 ran its fastest time at 44.189 in the Street Modified Class. It was the slowest in its class that day with only two other cars in the same class, a 99 BMW M3 and 97 BMW 318ti.
In comparison, my fastest time in my stock Mazda 2 with bad tires was 46.9.

I ran my Mazda 2 at warminster auto x back in 2013.

I ran the car with everything stock, even ran with the all season tires. I might be doing the Philly scca in stock form again

looking at past races phillyscca drivers are mostly in the stx and str classes. stf is primed for picking if you get into it this year.

Im almost tempted to go into stf for the next wellsfargo run at the end of May.

Back