need fuel pump?

high3at0209

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Hey guys, ive seen that a lot of ms3 guys get hpfp or fuel pump internals to avoid zoom zoom boom. I dont know too much on that subject so im not sure if i need it with my current mods. All i have is Cobb SRI, cat and both resonators delete and a hypertech on the way. So with the addition of the hypertech will i need the upgrade? And yea i know it might be a noob question so sorry about that.

damn but i dont have any monitoring system, do the dashhawk monitor it? cause if thats the case i can borrow my friend's

Yup. Fuel pressure around 1500 at WOT should be okay.

Last edited:
high3at0209, like ive said before we have the same mods other than the cat deleted, if you want i can do a WOT pull and see what it reads. I know every car is different but at least it will give you an idea.

Not a problem man, il either do it during my lunch break today or on my way home from work and post the results

I'd be concerned if it was only 1500 psi at wot. Mine isn't ever under 1600... even NEAR boost.

I'm talking based on my own car experience. I should say anything under 1500 is a concerned. 15xxs did not gave any problems at WOT when I was on OTS maps. Until I got a tune and up the boost. I have seen Hypertech users not having to upgrade fuel pump or internals but OP should still monitor anyways.

Okay made a 3rd gear and 4th gear pull during lunch. The only time i saw the 1500 mark was when i was accelerating, at WOT it was in the 1600 with random flash of 1711 in there. Hope this helps. Im not sure what they are supposed to be tho.

thanks a lot man! from what ive seen around those numbers seem fine. im gona try to get my buddies dash hawk once i put in the hypertech to see where im at

Your pump looks fine! I would recommend getting a fuel pump sooneer then later so you dont have to worry about, especially when you start modding! Pm when you need a fuel pump i'll get you a good deal!

It really depends how far he plans to go with mods, if he is fine where he is at leave it be but add a downpipe,fmic then you may have to monitor to see if it is sufficient.

If you are seeing dips under 1600 be careful, expecially anything down in the low to mid 1500's or lower.

I think I'm on the edge of safe with stock pump fuel pressure dipping to 1607 down at around 3,500 rpm on WOT 4th gear pulls. That rpm range at WOT in that gear is the highest boost (19 psi) and maximum load situation and therefore, likely to produce greatest fuel demand, rather than at higher speeds, contrary to what you might think. My pump picks up nicely after that and shows steady 1700's up to redline.

Also check AFR's and make sure you are staying rich if the pump is marginal. In a low pressure situation the injectors should be spraying more fuel volume to try to compensate for lower pressure. My AFR's are in the mid 12's at the low fuel pressure point. They continue to drop into the 11's and 10's as rpm climbs, even with excellent pressure at the higher side of the tach. Yeah, pig rich, but safe.

Please chime in! 07 Mazdaspeed 3. First and only mod at the time was a K&N Typhoon SRI/CAI. After allowing it to acclimate, I took it out on the freeway and above 4000 rpm under load, the engine basically shut itself off. Upon further discovery, it was severely detonating and the engine was shutting down and saving itself. Scary, I know. I contacted K&N, they said drive it a little more? I installed the Hypertech tune and alleviated about 95% of the issue. It still has occasional detonation and hesitation which is very much a concern because any detonation is too much! I contacted K&N again and they seem to think my fuel pump may be the culprit? They say they've dealt with this before and that's the issue. They say the MS3 fuel pump is already at its capacity without mods. I'm a little confused as to why everyone owning a K&N Typhoon for this car doesn't have an issue then? I have the Torque app which I'm going to utilize. Look at fuel pressures and do some data logging. Anybody with opinions/experience/knowledge of this issue, please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

stock fuel pump isn't at capacity with just an intake. Sounds like there's something else going on here. K&N is doing you no favors by guessing.

Put your stock intake back on and see what happens, also double check that all your connections are tight.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not currently driving the car right now. I will drive it when I get my OBDII transponder, look at some stats and depending on what I see, swap back the OEM intake box.

Last edited:
Back