Need engine source for Mazdaspeed Protege

Where can I find an engine for my 2003 MSP? Trying to save a spicy orange…
The 2.0L is the same engine across the MSP, Protege5 and Protege sedan, just in different NA and turbo configurations (FS-DE, FS-DET). I'm 99% sure you should be able to source any 2.0L from a USDM Protege and put the turbo stuff onto it, and you'll be back up and running.

Upvote 0
Not trying to shoot this down or anything like that...I would have also suggested a JDM engine because of their generally better condition and lower miles, but there has been recent discussion about potential differences between the USDM and JDM FS-DE that cause it to ping without premium fuel. I'm not sure how that would work with an MSP ECU, since I believe the MSP already takes premium.

I think @katapaltes had the JDM engine and was experimenting with fuels and pinging.

Just thought I'd throw that in there. I wasn't following the discussion too closely, maybe they figured it out. Worth a quick look.

Upvote 0
Not trying to shoot this down or anything like that...I would have also suggested a JDM engine because of their generally better condition and lower miles, but there has been recent discussion about potential differences between the USDM and JDM FS-DE that cause it to ping without premium fuel. I'm not sure how that would work with an MSP ECU, since I believe the MSP already takes premium.

I think @katapaltes had the JDM engine and was experimenting with fuels and pinging.

Just thought I'd throw that in there. I wasn't following the discussion too closely, maybe they figured it out. Worth a quick look.
Good point and I might have linked the wrong title to include "mazdaspeed" in it in error.
OP should check out his VIN at the link below as he may have a 2003 Mazdaspeed or a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed.

VIN Lookup for 2003 Mazdaspeed or 2003.5 Mazdaspeed?

From there he can check and see what the treim levels are. A sample VIN is already entered for a 2003 Mazda Protege.

Best to check the VIN with the seller against the engine to see if it's compatible to his specific vehicle.

Upvote 1
Hey guys. Not sure how the thread works. But it’s a 2003. And I put premium in it anyway. Please send more links. I wanna save this car but not break the bank… the paint is very faded haha spicy orange

Upvote 0
Type in your postal code and search for entire engine.

The MSP turbo kit, oil cooler, windage tray etc. will all bolt right up.

Everything is the same otherwise. Swap your existing intake and exhaust manifold over with new gaskets. Don't cheap out on the gaskets.

Removed old engine, swap everything to new engine. Install engine. If you have time maybe even clean out fuel rail and injectors while everything is apart. 20 years old means there is some grime in there. Remember these were assembled 01/02 sold as 03 and 03.5 models.

Not a bad idea to have the flywheel resurfaced and a new clutch installed to suit whatever HP goals you had in mind. Do not touch these items with your bare hands use rubber gloves and don't get any oil etc. On either of them. Locktight and proper torque specs on everything is a must.

Also get a new throw out bearing for the transmission or you will be kicking yourself later.

If it were me and I intended to keep the vehicle for a long time I would be replacing engine seals as well and also the drivesshaft seals on the trans so that the hardened 20 year old seals don't start leaking transmission fluid all over your driveway. They are cheap.

Just some things to consider

Cheers

Upvote 0
I have one with 154,000 in Syracuse New York would need to be pulled from the car Pm me if interested

Upvote 0
Back