Nav System Disappointment

I also live in the philly area. No issues at all for me, even near the airport and when i park in remote lots.

One annoying thing is the way it routes sometimes. It'll direct me to take a lot of smaller roads to avoid traffic, but it won't be any faster. Also the estimated arrival time is never correct.

I had a Mercedes rental for a business trip and the Navi did the same thing, it was about 2 hours off for the first hour of my trip.

I also live in the philly area. No issues at all for me, even near the airport and when i park in remote lots.

That's why I'm wondering if there is a problem with the GPS unit.

I wish the auto companies would give up on Nav. Nothing compares to Google Maps or Waze. I have a 2013 Audi and a map update is $450. Bring on Android Auto

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I really liked the NAV in my 370Z and Grand Jeep Cherokee. It's just this CX-5 seems to be about 10 years behind the times in the NAV dept. The proof is that people think that live-traffic is something only Google does, lol. My Jeep was the bomb at routing me around traffic issues, finding fastest routes, giving me the option to pick scenic routes when available, etc. etc. etc. Same for my 370Z. Great NAV systems. It's honestly just Mazda that sucks so bad. Not factory in-car NAV.

Then you step up to stuff like Audi, where they have Google Street View and all of that integrated into the NAV, and you have something that the phones can't even match as seamlessly.

I test drove an Audi as part of some secret automotive survey. I don't know how it works day to day, but boy is it some impressive stuff.

Audi-MMI-Navigation-Geoawesomeness-1024x548.png

That's why I'm wondering if there is a problem with the GPS unit.

[bold]I wish the auto companies would give up on Nav. [/bold]Nothing compares to Google Maps or Waze. I have a 2013 Audi and a map update is $450. Bring on Android Auto

Why not integrate these apps into their systems? (CarPlay/android Auto?) Audi uses Google map satellite imagery*. (At least the A7 I test drove back in 2014.) a web based system would be "time proof" and look better than having cables/ suction cup in the windshield.

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/774000195394740224?embed_source=clientlib&player_id=0&rpc_init=1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Forget the needle in the haystack—here, Google Earth drops a pin on the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AudiQ7?src=hash">#AudiQ7</a> in a 790,000 sq. ft state park. <a href="https://t.co/L3GaSEnOl8">pic.twitter.com/L3GaSEnOl8</a></p>— Audi (@Audi) <a href="https://twitter.com/Audi/status/774000195394740224">September 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I typed this up on my Smartphone using Tapatalk [emoji12]

Last edited:

One annoying thing is the way it routes sometimes. It'll direct me to take a lot of smaller roads to avoid traffic, but it won't be any faster. Also the estimated arrival time is never correct.

That's the thing I love about Google Maps on my phone. Lately I find myself more and more entering my destination into my phone, despite me already knowing the usual routes, because sometimes it will give me a different, faster route. And in my experience, at least with traffic and around town, arrival time is SPOT ON, within 1 minute or so.

I have 2016 and have NO problems with Nav system. In fact, I have found it better in latching on to GPS than the stand alone Garmin. Its routing is quite accurate. Its POI database is quite decent (in comparison to vehicle installed solutions). Its very responsive, has a decent set of functionality and settings to fit most of the need.
I had similar issues like OP when I 1st. got the car. I had my firmware and maps - updated to latest. Post which everything functioned as expected. Please check your firmware. Next, sometimes the navigation does not lock to GPS position. I have found my ejecting the SD card and putting it back in usually resolves the problem.

My complaint is obviously non-presence of traffic. Its a big issue for me. Over and above that - absolutely no issues. Of course - the fact that map upgrades aren't free for life but only for the 1st. 3 years is ludicrous. I am still trolling the Net for a hack.

I have 2016 and have NO problems with Nav system. In fact, I have found it better in latching on to GPS than the stand alone Garmin. Its routing is quite accurate. Its POI database is quite decent (in comparison to vehicle installed solutions). Its very responsive, has a decent set of functionality and settings to fit most of the need.
I had similar issues like OP when I 1st. got the car. I had my firmware and maps - updated to latest. Post which everything functioned as expected. Please check your firmware. Next, sometimes the navigation does not lock to GPS position. I have found my ejecting the SD card and putting it back in usually resolves the problem.

My complaint is obviously non-presence of traffic. Its a big issue for me. Over and above that - absolutely no issues. Of course - the fact that map upgrades aren't free for life but only for the 1st. 3 years is ludicrous. I am still trolling the Net for a hack.

Same here. No major complaints with my 16.5 NAV, other than the lack of traffic data (minor impact) and the disappointing lag in map updates (major impact). The US map update I finally got last week only refreshed the 2015 Q2 factory installed maps to 2015 Q4, still 3 quarters behind. TomTom used to provide quarterly updates on my 15 CX5.

Back