Miata is always the answer.. or is it?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Hey guys, just sharing an interesting thread idea that came up after seeing a thread on a different forum.

Current owners, what made you choose the Miata over the competition? Were there any other cars you owned or thought you would buy instead of the Miata? For example, an S2000 or an FR-S?

Last edited:
The Miata has competition? It seems a rather unique car to me.

I think the S2000 and the FR-S/BRZ are its main competitors, but others might include the BMW Z3/Z4, Toyota MR-2, Porsche Boxster.. keep in mind that the thread topic is quite open-ended as it includes all Miatas, not just the ND.

I think the S2000 and the FR-S/BRZ are its main competitors, but others might include the BMW Z3/Z4, Toyota MR-2, Porsche Boxster.. keep in mind that the thread topic is quite open-ended as it includes all Miatas, not just the ND.

Correct me if wrong, but neither of those first 2 are made anymore right? I guess the BRZ is.

And those others make sense, they just exist at a different price point.

Correct me if wrong, but neither of those first 2 are made anymore right? I guess the BRZ is.

And those others make sense, they just exist at a different price point.

That's what I mean when I say that the topic is open-ended. The S2000 has been discontinued, but still sells for a lot of money on the used market. Thus you can compare it (at least based on price) to a late model ND or BRZ.

I agree. I don't think that there really is any competition for the MX-5. Not at that price point anyway.

That's the point of this thread. Why do you think that there is no competition for your Miata? What, in your opinion, sets it apart from any other 2-seater, or any other convertible?

I found the comparisons described below a little odd at first, but it seems that people do cross-shop them with the current Miata.

That's the point of this thread. Why do you think that there is no competition for your Miata? What, in your opinion, sets it apart from any other 2-seater, or any other convertible?

I found the comparisons described below a little odd at first, but it seems that people do cross-shop them with the current Miata.

I'd love to address this but to do it properly I'll have to take a bit of time.

Right off the top of my head.

First of all, if it's not a convertible it is NOT a direct competitor (and why is the MX being used as comparison an automatic?). The only two cars left from the above list that are convertibles are the BMW Z4 and the Fiat 124 Spider (how in the world did the Camaro make this list?).

The Z4 is out, look at that price. The BMW is almost TWICE the price of the MX, how is that comparable?

That leaves the Fiat, which is a near clone of the MX.

I'd love to address this but to do it properly I'll have to take a bit of time.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Right off the top of my head.

First of all, if it's not a convertible it is NOT a direct competitor (and why is the MX being used as comparison an automatic?). The only two cars left from the above list that are convertibles are the BMW Z4 and the Fiat 124 Spider (how in the world did the Camaro make this list?).

The Z4 is out, look at that price. The BMW is almost TWICE the price of the MX, how is that comparable?

That leaves the Fiat, which is a near clone of the MX.

You list out some subjective criteria (i.e. HAS to be a convertible, HAS to be manual, etc.) that others may not be so particular about. This is the kind of thing I'm curious about, as every individual person has their own criteria when shopping for anything.

For example, the CX-5 is sometimes cross-shopped with the RDX. Or the CX-9 is sometimes cross-shopped with the XC-90. The price difference could be thousands, but people do cross-shop them. Some buy the CX-5/-9 because it's more fun to drive, because it offers a great value, or because they prefer it's looks. Some buy the RDX or the XC-90 because its a premium/luxury badge, because it's got the tech they prefer or because the seats are more comfortable.

I love the Miata, and I'd love to own one someday. I'm just curious to know what draws other people to the Miata.

"You list out some subjective criteria (i.e. HAS to be a convertible, HAS to be manual, etc.) that others may not be so particular about. This is the kind of thing I'm curious about, as every individual person has their own criteria when shopping for anything."

Yes, it's subjective but you asked for my opinion and that's what I'm going to offer. If I'm shopping for a comparable car to a convertible then the cars that I'm looking at need to be convertibles. If I'm looking for a 6-speed manual then that's what I'm looking for.

I'm going to address each of the links that you posted above (as I have time) and then talk about the items that you brought up and why I think that way.

First of all, the above article was written in 2014. When that story was written the ND wasn't even in show rooms yet and the car wasn't even evaluated by Top Speed or any of the car publications. How does one determine what the competitors for this car are when the car isn't even out yet? Some guess work, right?

Audi TT

A great looking car! I've always loved the looks of this thing, never drove one though. It's a convertible at least but it weighs 1,200 lbs more than the ND and at 2014 starting price of $43,350 is quite a bit more expensive than the 2016 ND.

I kept my 01 Corvette (manual with Z51 suspension) for 13 years until I bought my used 2008 PHRT MX5 (manual). Every time I went from driving the MX5 to the Corvette, I felt like I was getting into and driving a tank. There was an 800 lb difference in weight and it was then that I realized that no matter how fast the car, a heavier one is almost never more fun than an MX5.

Years later (last year), I rented a 2019 McLaren 570S (0-60 MPH in 2.7 seconds). It was then I realized that although the confines of city driving made driving the MX5 lots of fun, the McLaren attracted so much attention and was such a rocketship (in very limited instances), the fun factor was much different, but still there.

Then I rented a BMW i8 and loved it, also - more for its seat comfort and attention-getting looks than for its handling and speed (in between the McLaren's and the MX5's).
My last comparison was in a 2017 Jaguar F-sport convertible. That is an amazing GT car that is very quiet, handles well, and is very smooth.

I do have to admit that I am never disappointed after getting back into the MX5. In fact, there is now a CARB-certified supercharger that allows the car to put out about 230 HP to the wheels. Mmmmmm.

I kept my 01 Corvette (manual with Z51 suspension) for 13 years until I bought my used 2008 PHRT MX5 (manual). Every time I went from driving the MX5 to the Corvette, I felt like I was getting into and driving a tank. There was an 800 lb difference in weight and it was then that I realized that no matter how fast the car, a heavier one is almost never more fun than an MX5.

Years later (last year), I rented a 2019 McLaren 570S (0-60 MPH in 2.7 seconds). It was then I realized that although the confines of city driving made driving the MX5 lots of fun, the McLaren attracted so much attention and was such a rocketship (in very limited instances), the fun factor was much different, but still there.

Then I rented a BMW i8 and loved it, also - more for its seat comfort and attention-getting looks than for its handling and speed (in between the McLaren's and the MX5's).
My last comparison was in a 2017 Jaguar F-sport convertible. That is an amazing GT car that is very quiet, handles well, and is very smooth.

I do have to admit that I am never disappointed after getting back into the MX5. In fact, there is now a CARB-certified supercharger that allows the car to put out about 230 HP to the wheels. Mmmmmm.

Thanks! I appreciate your insight.

You mention renting cars - do you use Turo? I wish such a service was available where I live.

Next is the Mini Roadster. It is a convertible, a 6-speed manual, the weight is close to the MX, and the price is close as well (in 2014). So it is comparable to the MX in those regards, if you're looking at the Cooper S model that is.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Compare the looks of that Mini to the MX, I won't post the pics here and if you're interested I'm sure that you can find those pics yourself.

For me, there's no comparison. Sure, the Mini is cute and all (in a girl's car kinda way) but just look at how sexy the MX is. Yowzah!

And those stripes on the Mini? Gaudy.

I've never driven a Mini so I can't comment on the ride or handling.

Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Compare the looks of that Mini to the MX, I won't post the pics here and if you're interested I'm sure that you can find those pics yourself.

For me, there's no comparison. Sure, the Mini is cute and all (in a girl's car kinda way) but just look at how sexy the MX is. Yowzah!

Calling the Mini a "girl's car" is like thinking all white cars are more feminine. I've actually seen and heard a lot of people comment that the Miata (from NA to ND) looks like a girl's car compared to the S2000 or even the BRZ. Personally I find the Miata to be gorgeous. Sleek and sexy with a bit of aggression. There's no way I'd drive a Mini Cooper S over a Miata, even after seeing how much fun they had with them in The Italian Job.

Thanks! I appreciate your insight.

You mention renting cars - do you use Turo? I wish such a service was available where I live.
Yes, indeed I do. The very high-end exotics are almost always available in Los Angeles. That's where I picked up the 2019 McLaren 570S. i8s, some Porsches, and Jags are here in San Diego.

Calling the Mini a "girl's car" is like thinking all white cars are more feminine. I've actually seen and heard a lot of people comment that the Miata (from NA to ND) looks like a girl's car compared to the S2000 or even the BRZ. Personally I find the Miata to be gorgeous. Sleek and sexy with a bit of aggression. There's no way I'd drive a Mini Cooper S over a Miata, even after seeing how much fun they had with them in The Italian Job.

I thought about this comment of mine a few times during the day yesterday. I would like to apologize to anyone who I may have offended with that comment. I was out of line and I am sorry. No one said anything to me prompting this, I just made a mistake.

I thought about this comment of mine a few times during the day yesterday. I would like to apologize to anyone who I may have offended with that comment. I was out of line and I am sorry. No one said anything to me prompting this, I just made a mistake.

Oh don't even worry about it, I think you're fine. My reply was just meant to provide a different perspective and further clarify the point you were making (that beauty is in the eye of the beholder). (y)

Back