Mazdaspeed vs Deer.. Speed wins by a hair.

J-Rod76

We hit a deer this morning on the HWY...

388678190.jpg

388678193.jpg

388678204.jpg

So, do you think it will buff out? I'm a little concerned about the oil leaking from the fron end. It also looks like the front end was pushed over about an inch or two.

The deer was DOA.

ouch; have you pulled the tray on the bottom to see where the oil is coming from? I've not seen hood damage like that before...looks like folded under along the leading edge. How big a deer was it?

where in MO are you?

I live east of KC in the Burg. It was a big *ucker, I'd estimate arround 350~400lbs, give or take. I can't get under it right now, but the fluid looks & smells like transmission fluid.

WOW could have been worse I guess, he could have gone into the car. I almost hit one just the other day I had to slam on the brakes and my Rotti was in the back seat and he wasnt too happy.

that sucks is everyone who was in the car ok? I've never had that happen but I can't imagine it being a good experience.

On a funny note, my wife said that the first pic looks like the ms3 is about to cry with a tear forming by the head light.

Yes, everone was ok. Thanks for asking.

Your wife is right, it does kind of look like it is getting ready to cry.

maybe your trans oil seal got busted, all it would need is a good nudge and that seal would get messed up

get under there and check out the passenger side drive shafts and components

Ouch sorry to hear about that.

I am a sucker for animals, I feel horrible when I hit anything.

you could probably bump out your bumper and save some money from that, but rest of them you gotta fix them. :(

hope insurance will take care of everything.

well once the hood, bumper, light assembly and fender is taken off itll be easier to tell if its ok (meaning the unibody and inner fender supports) or not.. Glad everyones ok though. Keep us updated on what happens.. whats concerning to me is that drivers side pic.. although that couldve been just from the hood being pushed into the fender and it popping out like that.

The insurance should cover it all; I don't see why they wouldn't. I have full coverage on it and there was no previous damage.

I think the transmission cooling lines may have been damaged as the radiator was pushed back into the motor. Also, the power steering stopped working and these things are a PITA to turn without it.

The tow truck already came to get it. Word of advice: if your car ever gets loaded onto a flatbed, make them pull it on from the front. They pulled mine up from the back and it drug the front bumper more than just a little. It didn't bother me all that much since I figure it is getting replaced anyway, assuming the insurance company doesn't total it.

wow, glad to hear everyone is ok.

Assman, I'll be cruising to BC late next week and I'm hoping I dont have a run in with a deer I'm taking my dog with me as well and I don't want to have to slam on my brakes and see 80 pounds of dog hit the back of my seat lol.

Ya hes 100lbs right now and only getting bigger, he was not a happy camper when went flying but im still not getting one of those gay doggy seatbelts.

Yeah... Bambi will do more damage to your car than you think. Happens all the time around here. You see just as many dead deer on the road as you do squirrels, maybe more. We have a huge whitetail population in this area.

that fluid dripping that OP said looks and smells like trans fluid is prolly the powersteering fluid? Id guess.... since its on that side and it uses ATF...

This post made me really sad... I researched deer whistles to maybe invest in one and suggest it to everyone, but after looking into them. Everyone says they don't work... Which doesn't make me any happier... I live in Utah Where there are more deer than people...(exaggeration)

Sorry about your car. Hope your comprehensive covers it.

Update: Insurance is covering it all, and by all I mean almost $9K worth of damage.

bkleryder4life: Yep, the impact crushed the power steering pump and punctured the lines.

The body shop said that there were no "aftermarket" body panels available for the speeds, so the car will be rebuilt with OEM parts. Hopefully it will be ready before July 15th.

I can't wait to get it back, the POS rental I have sucks donkey (chevy cobalt).

Back