Mazdaspeed Miata Pictures From LA Show

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
And anyone who wants a new miata of this classic body style better step to it: the little mx5 is about to change and gain some weight. :eek:

I wouldn't agree. I would expect the NC to be a lighter car. The MSM probably weighs in at around 2450-2500 lbs wet, based on other recent Miatas that I've put on the scales. The weight is due to a lot of bracing band-aids added to an old platform. With a clean-sheet design, they can get the rigidity without the bracing.

Since the MSM was a factory effort and not a Callaway hack, it's going to be more elegantly engineered. I'm looking forward to taking one apart sometime :) Something's got to be done about that buck tooth in the grille, though...

Keith

haha step to it Keith ! mayn, i wish i lived in CO just so i could stop by Flyin' Miata every once in a while just to check out those fly miatas

Keith@FP said:
I wouldn't agree. I would expect the NC to be a lighter car. The MSM probably weighs in at around 2450-2500 lbs wet, based on other recent Miatas that I've put on the scales. The weight is due to a lot of bracing band-aids added to an old platform. With a clean-sheet design, they can get the rigidity without the bracing.

Since the MSM was a factory effort and not a Callaway hack, it's going to be more elegantly engineered. I'm looking forward to taking one apart sometime :) Something's got to be done about that buck tooth in the grille, though...

Keith

bigger intercooler? ;)

and a nice full exhaust ;)

pleeeease!

..and a bigger turbo, and some sort of electronics for fuel and timing, and a good BOV, and a better clutch....

Don't expect us to have any toys for it right off. Someone will have to bring one to us first! I suspect that for the amount of work it'll take to make it run with an FM II, it might actually be cheaper to start with the FM II. Depends on exactly what the other powertrain mods are.

Keith

protejay5 said:
ooooooo, i want THOSE rims. i wonder if they will fit a p5?

I was thinking the same thing until I saw the 4-lug bolt pattern.....those rims are TIGHT!

17". The Miata's not a big car, so the wheels look larger than they would on something else. Most people consider 15" to be the ideal size for performance on a Miata, with others saying 16". 17" wheels are purely for show.

Keith

NAIAS

I saw it today in NAIAS in Detroit! Really nice but noticed a few things:
*intercooler is like 1 sq. ft. maybe 14x14 inch without the plastic tanks so it's really tiny
*turbo related piping (right side of engine bay picture) had aluminum and rubber parts with diameter less than 2 inches, around 1.5~1.75. Again, SMALLLL
*no boost gage

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 193
i just want to get the part number on the dead pedal (assuming it will fit in the MSP)

in looking at the FMIC, it'd be VERY easy to put a bigger IC in there... just cut the pipes for the air in/out to allow for the bigger cooler and fab up some mounting brackets for the new cooler...

i see that being a simple upgrade!

Last edited:
newf said:
god that intercooler looks pathetic and silly. Nice engine work though......how come we didn't get that :(

Because Callaway did the work on the MSP.

The MSM is all in-house work...

Now can people see why Mazda was not happy with Callaway?

I am a miata lover myself..

I like the concept of the FI miata but..it's kinda weak even with the turbo, it's priced too high too ihmo.

oh well, maybe I'll change my mind if a MSM blast me by at the track.

it gain some weight too if I am not mistaken.

and i swear my oil cooler is bigger than that FMIC

it looks the same size as the DSM smic

Latest posts

Back