Mazda5 Underhood liner by Dynamat

:
2013 Mazda 5 Sport
Hello. It has been too long since I have been around here, but I still have my 5 and why not work on things it sorely needs. One of my biggest gripes with the car is NVH. Today, I've installed the Hoodliner (by Dynamat) under my hood. The process overall is fairly straight forward. First, I removed the original POS Mazda put there in order to clean the surfaces to install Noico 80 mil butyl stuff first. Mazda does not make easy with all the intricate surfaces, but you can easily make some templates from 8.5x11 paper. Luckily, its symmetric left to right, so I would suggest working from one side to the other. I cleaned all the surfaces with Isopropyl alcohol everywhere and started applying the material.

When it came to install the actual under hood liner, I decided to just cut out one piece and not deal in the area where the hoses are feeding windshield washer fluid to the nozzles. I used the OEM liner as a starting point to get an idea of where to cut. This stuff is really difficult to cut, so make sure you have a very sharp (or fresh) Exacto blade. One mistake that I did not account for, was the OEM liner is rigid. When I marked the locations of where the retainer clips go, it did not line up once applied to all the curved surfaces. In the end, it was close enough. I was able to reinstall the OEM liner on top and use all the retaining clips. Let's see how the center ones will hold up :)

I also decided not to block the label on the hood. But, it was a very small area, so I can deal with that.

I immediately drove the car in my neighborhood. I think the engine was just not warmed up, so above 2K rpm, it still sounded rough. However, I did notice it was quieter when idling. I will update, once I hit a highway and see what it sounds like then.

Attachments

• 20210418_161739.jpg
    20210418_161739.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210418_170447.jpg
    20210418_170447.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210418_172854.jpg
    20210418_172854.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210418_173412.jpg
    20210418_173412.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 148
any update on your opinion of NVH after highway?
I did notice on the highway the engine sound is less prominent. However, the wind noise is still there and my tires are well used. Plus, I just updated my head unit, so I am just driving around with the music turned up :)

If you want to truly quiet down a Mazda5, just the hood ain't gonna do much. Look under my name, you can see how I installed real noise damping. And yes, you have to gut the interior down to bare metal. The only things I didn't pull was the dash and headliner. Literally everything else came out though. And honestly, it's not really that hard, it's more aggravating and time consuming than really difficult.

If you want to truly quiet down a Mazda5, just the hood ain't gonna do much. Look under my name, you can see how I installed real noise damping. And yes, you have to gut the interior down to bare metal. The only things I didn't pull was the dash and headliner. Literally everything else came out though. And honestly, it's not really that hard, it's more aggravating and time consuming than really difficult.
I did see your post and I admire the work you did. I might eventually get to do front floor area. I just peeked under the carpet and saw some styrofoam and layers of rubber already there. I just need more time :). I did sound proof the trunk lid, trunk area and all of the doors. The doors didn't help as much with making things quieter, but it did make the stereo sound way better.

I found putting some butyl/aluminum stuff under the hood pad helped reduce the humming drone from the engine. Doesn't help tire or wind noise. I also agree the stuff helps the stereo.

I don't know how to improve the wheel well dampening, but it might help.

Back