"Mazda5 to be phased out for U.S. in 2015." - Automotive News

Based on prices I found, The Sienna is around $23k for L(7 seat) , $27 for LE(8 seat) . The Mazda5 would be around $18k for the Sport automatic. The L is pretty stripped, but the LE has some nice features like power sliding doors, backup camera, and roof rails, items not available on the 5 in any package or option. The backup camera will be on the base package in 2018,and I don't plan to buy a new car until after then anyway. My 2013 Mazda5 has powertrain warranty until the next decade.

$23k is not bad for that actually, the Toyota I know will not have any on the lot actually priced anywhere near that figure though and I doubt dealers will budge much on such a popular vehicle. That said, minivans like the Sienna and Odyssey are in a different class than the Mazda 5. They are more comparable to the Mazda 8, which we don't get here. Considered "full size MPV" class in Europe. You get what you pay for though, a vehicle like that is going to be more luxurious and isolated from road noise etc. than the Mazda 5, it will have a lot more power, options etc. For the most part I think they have different customers. I bought a 5 more or less because Mazda doesn't make a 3 or 6 wagon for the U.S. market anymore. I don't think of it as a minivan, but more as a high roofed wagon.

I paid $16,669 for my Sport manual though, but I got a really good deal and that isn't anywhere near MSRP.

$23k is not bad for that actually, the Toyota I know will not have any on the lot actually priced anywhere near that figure though and I doubt dealers will budge much on such a popular vehicle. That said, minivans like the Sienna and Odyssey are in a different class than the Mazda 5. They are more comparable to the Mazda 8, which we don't get here. Considered "full size MPV" class in Europe. You get what you pay for though, a vehicle like that is going to be more luxurious and isolated from road noise etc. than the Mazda 5, it will have a lot more power, options etc. For the most part I think they have different customers. I bought a 5 more or less because Mazda doesn't make a 3 or 6 wagon for the U.S. market anymore. I don't think of it as a minivan, but more as a high roofed wagon.

I paid $16,669 for my Sport manual though, but I got a really good deal and that isn't anywhere near MSRP.
My wife insisted on sliding doors, and with that requirement, the vehicle choices are small. I prefer something small with good driving dynamics. So based on our needs, the 5 was the only choice. I would have preferred at least a backup camera and a more powerful engine, but the 5 engine is acceptable, given it's price point.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

The second generation 5/Premacy (2005 - 2010 was built on the Mazda BK platform, which was based on the C1 platform shared with the Volvo S/V40, V50, C70, Ford Focus, and first gen C-Max.

The third generation 5/Premacy 2010+ is built on the Mazda CW platform, which is based on the "Global C" platform, which is the successor to the C1 platform, which underpins the 2nd gen Ford C-Max, the Lincoln MKZ and Ford Transit Connect.

The third generation Mazda 5/Premacy is built on a different platform than the second gen. It has a longer wheelbase, a different powertrain and a completely different interior and exterior. The name stayed the same though and I'm sure some parts transferred over, but the vast majority of the parts for the second gen 5/Premacy are not compatible with the third gen. It meets every definition of a "redesign" or different platform that I've ever heard of.

I highly doubt that. The wheelbase and dimensions are fairly close to the second gen Premacy, which could be due to styling, overhangs and suspension geometry. If it was a complete redesign, we wouldn't be able to use a lot of the same suspension parts. The powertrain might be the 2.5-liter mill, but its still an MZR so not much was changed powertrain wise. Even the second gen Mazda 3 didn't receive anything too significant. The doors (aside from nagare lines), mirrors, door and front glass are all the same, you could probably interchange the dashboards between both generations without any issues. Its about as much of a complete redesign as the Saturn S-series getting updated throughout its three generations. The third gen Premacy is not a major redesign at all, its only skin deep, just like the 2015 Toyota Camry looks different but still essentially the same underneath as the last generation.

The Lincoln MKZ is based of a totally unrelated platform to the MZ5. It shares it platform with the older '06 Fusion and Mazda 6.

I highly doubt that. The wheelbase and dimensions are fairly close to the second gen Premacy, which could be due to styling, overhangs and suspension geometry. If it was a complete redesign, we wouldn't be able to use a lot of the same suspension parts. The powertrain might be the 2.5-liter mill, but its still an MZR so not much was changed powertrain wise. Even the second gen Mazda 3 didn't receive anything too significant. The doors (aside from nagare lines), mirrors, door and front glass are all the same, you could probably interchange the dashboards between both generations without any issues. Its about as much of a complete redesign as the Saturn S-series getting updated throughout its three generations. The third gen Premacy is not a major redesign at all, its only skin deep, just like the 2015 Toyota Camry looks different but still essentially the same underneath as the last generation.

This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. Try checking Wikipedia or any one of a dozen other sources.

But you're welcome to think what you like and argue semantics about what platform change is.

This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. Try checking Wikipedia or any one of a dozen other sources.

But you're welcome to think what you like and argue semantics about what platform change is.
Sorry but you're wrong. Only very minor changes have been made to the Mazda 5 platform since its inception. It shares nothing with the mz6,fusion,mzk platform. If your information is from wikipedia, then this is a case of wiki being wrong.
The last gen was a facelift pure and simple. Aesthetics. The 2.5 is just a modified 2.3l with better internals.the suspension is 99% the same. Even the lower part of the dash is the same. Rear interior trim is the same. Seats and upper part of the dash are different.

Last edited:
Sorry but you're wrong. Only very minor changes have been made to the Mazda 5 platform since its inception. It shares nothing with the mz6,fusion,mzk platform. If your information is from wikipedia, then this is a case of wiki being wrong.
The last gen was a facelift pure and simple. Aesthetics. The 2.5 is just a modified 2.3l with better internals.the suspension is 99% the same. Even the lower part of the dash is the same. Rear interior trim is the same. Seats and upper part of the dash are different.

Wikipedia is not always right, but I'll take it over the opinion of one random guy on the internet. It doesn't make much sense that someone would go through all the trouble of writing all that and specifying the move from C1 to the "Global C" platform for nothing. Wikipedia is also looked at by millions of people, any one of which could have corrected any inaccuracies here. Believe me, in some ways I wish you were right because I'm hunting for upgrades for my 5 and they are hard to find and most are for the previous generation 5's and I'm told time and time again they ARE NOT compatible with my car. So they share parts, but there seems to be more that they don't share than they do. Either way, it's not terribly important. You have the older model, so it's only natural you'd prefer to believe their is little that has been changed in the newer one. I can understand that.

My money is on the random internet guy! :D

Think about it this way. Do you understand that everything about a car is 100% dependent on the platform it is built on? It dictates suspension geometry, engine/cabin/trunk space, the quality of ride (NVH), subtleties such as the grade of steel/sheet metal and bracing used, and a bunch of other little stuff. IF Mazda were to use higher class platform (note the cars that use this platform), there is NO WAY IN HELL they can sell the Mz5 this cheap. Bean counters would not approve...
Here’s a little exercise you can undertake so you can take your own words. Go to Jim Ellis Mazda and compare every diagram for a Gen1 vs Gen 2, then come back and let us know how different they are.

You have the older model, so it's only natural you'd prefer to believe their is little that has been changed in the newer one. I can understand that.
This is funny b/c you do realize it goes both ways. You own a 2nd gen so it’s only natural you believe everything has been changed. I truly hope no one thinks this way and believes it; either way.

Wikipedia is not always right, but I'll take it over the opinion of one random guy on the internet. It doesn't make much sense that someone would go through all the trouble of writing all that and specifying the move from C1 to the "Global C" platform for nothing. Wikipedia is also looked at by millions of people, any one of which could have corrected any inaccuracies here. Believe me, in some ways I wish you were right because I'm hunting for upgrades for my 5 and they are hard to find and most are for the previous generation 5's and I'm told time and time again they ARE NOT compatible with my car. So they share parts, but there seems to be more that they don't share than they do. Either way, it's not terribly important. You have the older model, so it's only natural you'd prefer to believe their is little that has been changed in the newer one. I can understand that.

Now you're just being thick headed. Go pull up the page for Ford Global C1 on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform

The Mazda 5 and 3 are listed as partially based on Global C, which most likely means its still the old platform with a couple new tweaks that could be made applicable to the old platform. There's also this

"Among all of the cars, the floorpan is different, but the front- and rear-subframes, suspension, steering, braking, safety, and electrical components are shared."

All those parts are fairly interchangeable among both generations of the 5 for the most part.

Then pull up the press release for the 2012 model year and let me sum it up for you.

" In approaching the development of the all-new 2012 MAZDA5, Hideki Matsuoka, MAZDA5 program manager, took the best of the current model and set out to further evolve it. "[/quote]
"The 2012 MAZDA5 incorporates motifs from Mazdas Nagare flow design language which, inspired by the beauty of nature, presents an elegant look not found in any existing vehicle today. Its an appealing look that captures the eye upon first glance. "
"Changes to the 2012 MAZDA5 continue under the skin, too, as the vehicle is powered by a 2.5-liter MZR I4 engine, which also sees use in the MAZDA3, MAZDA6 and CX-7, and can be paired with either a manual or automatic transmission. We have further evolved Mazdas trademark Zoom-Zoom driving experience by working to deliver an overall balance of linear feeling and response that creates a unique bond between the driver and car, as well as a stronger sense of trust in the vehicle, said Matsuoka."
"With an overall length of 180.5 inches, width of 68.9 inches, height of 63.6 inches, and sitting on a 108.3-inch wheelbase, the MAZDA5 delivers roomy comfort while being surprisingly compact. The long wheelbase helps give it extraordinary passenger space for its modest external dimensions, and the short front and rear overhangs enable better handling and parking ease. Despite the long wheelbase, MAZDA5 features an impressive tight turning circle of 36.7 feet, making it remarkably easy to maneuver in tight situations. With a low drag coefficient of 0.30, it is aerodynamically efficient, cleaving the air quietly and maximizing fuel economy."
"Suspension layout for the previous MAZDA5 used MacPherson struts in the front and a multi-link suspension in the rear that employed separate coils and dampers as part of its input separated system. The dampers used were a twin tube type and the rear dampers included integrated rebound springs. The inherent functions of these components earned the suspension high acclaim for delivering superior handling stability.
While the new MAZDA5 continues to use this suspension system, the spring rates have been increased to realize a new level of linear roll and to improve straight-line stability when driving at highway speeds. Stiffness is increased in the lower arm mount bushings for the front suspension for a more direct, linear feel to steering."

Since you're quoting the Wiki entry as fact, there's also this part that is completely untrue but someone went through all that effort to write it.

"The top performance version, the Mazdaspeed5 (or Mazdaspeed Premacy), will be launched two years after the launch of Mazda Premacy in Japan.[citation needed]"

I have the current model, and I'm sure not delusional to think that its anything newer than the previous generation, especially since the entire lower half the dashboard remains unchanged, the seats all bolt up to each other, the windshield and side glass are all the same, as are the mirrors, the doors. Not sure what you're trying to get that's not compatible from the previous generation. The catbacks and intakes are not compatible, but the exhaust manifold will bolt up. The intakes from the Mazda 3 will work but older ones designed for the 2.3 will not work, but thats because of the motor differences, not the platform. Even the front and rear sway bar from both generations are compatible with each other. Some members have even upgraded to second gen rear springs.

I don't know how you can claim its a completely new car when the majority of it remained the same.

I don't see where the wiki specifies the move to the CW platform for the 3rd gen other than in the specifications box and if you click that link it takes you to the same BK description as in the 2nd gen link. If you look up Mazda C platforms there is no CW.

Also according to wikipedia, the wheelbase difference is 1mm, that didn't come from a platform change.

Clearly "Social Magic Carpet Ride" is just trolling to get reactions as he did with his Mexican built car postings. Please ignore his ignorance and move on. God bless his soul and the people that have to deal with him on a daily basis.

Nah, it's all good. Gives us something to talk about ;)

Ehh I guess you're right. At the very least he is making a name and a reputation for himself here in the forum for making ignorant statements to get a reaction and being thick-headed.

I don't know how you can claim its a completely new car when the majority of it remained the same.

I don't see how I claimed it's a completely new car either...because I didn't. I think the argument began over whether or not it was redesigned or a new platform or if it was "essentially unchanged" in 10 years. My argument was never that it's a "completely new car" nor did I ever use that phrase. I was disagreeing with whomever said it was essentially unchanged in 10 years. I think that kind of implies that Mazda was somehow more complacent in changing the 5 than it's competitors etc. but it's really not true. It got a redesign, a different engine, a different transmission (at least the manual), different body panels, different interior, different suspension tuning. I'm not sure how much more you need for them to change to call it an update. I guess we have different ideas as to what comprises "the majority" of the car. For me, a different engine, different sheetmetal, a different transmission, different suspension tuning and a different interior = different. A lot of car makers change a lot less than that and call it a "redesign" or a "new generation" or whatever.

I just disagree with the idea that Mazda basically put the 5 out there and didn't change it for 10 years and that is somehow responsible for it not being more successful. Could they have done more? Yes, certainly. They barely even attempted to advertise it in the U.S. Do they have to discontinue it? No, the Miata sells in lower numbers than the 5 and they aren't discontinuing THAT. I accept though the 5 is hardly a halo car that will help Mazda's image. They are a smaller car maker, they made a calculated decision to phase the 5 out and make room for the CX-3. Whether or not that was a good decision only time will tell, but it seems like everyone else is scrambling to make a subcompact crossover now, so maybe they are onto something. Personally, I would like to see a 6 wagon or even a 3 wagon for me to buy when I'm done with the 5 because a CX-3 isn't going to cut it and I don't want a CX-5 either, but what do I know?

Anyway, my argument was never that it was a "completely different car", just that Mazda had made significant enough changes to call it a new generation/platform/redesign and that it has not just cranked out the same car for 10 years.

Argument is pretty silly at this point I guess, and it's moot anyway since Mazda has abandoned this vehicle to double-down on the SUV bandwagon and unless they make a 3 or 6 wagon, there's a fair chance this will be my last Mazda sadly. (headshake

Clearly "Social Magic Carpet Ride" is just trolling to get reactions as he did with his Mexican built car postings. Please ignore his ignorance and move on. God bless his soul and the people that have to deal with him on a daily basis.

Only reaction about the Mexican built cars have been coming from you and 90210. That would all be water under the bridge by now except the fact that it's disturbed you so much you can't stop bringing it up .

This is funny b/c you do realize it goes both ways. You own a 2nd gen so it’s only natural you believe everything has been changed. I truly hope no one thinks this way and believes it; either way.
Ah, but according to Mazda's press material that tuanies so graciously provided, only us 2012+ owners can experience a "unique bond" with our car thanks to the "evolved driving experience" since the previous model. (drive2)

Can't necessarily agree, however, that "the spring rates have been increased to realize ... straight-line stability when driving at highway speeds." Car is downright squirrelly at spirited highway speeds. If it has significantly improved since the Gen 1's, I'm glad I don't drive the previous generation!

We all know that is clever marketing propaganda by Mazda. Also, Mazda isn't nowhere near as bad as the two worst offenders in Japan for riding out car platforms and only moderately tweaking them for 4 and 5 generations: Honda and Toyota, it is down right egregious how long those two companies ride out their platforms for some of their more cheap and popular models. Yet, somehow they always seem to fly under the radar when they do it. Must be nice to be in the pockets of so many journalist in the auto world.

Last edited:
Back