"Mazda5 to be phased out for U.S. in 2015." - Automotive News

Define spirited highway speeds because that has not been my experience unless there is strong cross winds

Anything over 70 and my car can't hold a straight line. Twitchy steering, which probably is what makes the steering feel so responsive at lower speeds.

And yes, wind and draft from larger vehicles makes it worse.

We all know that is clever marketing propaganda by Mazda. Also, Mazda isn't nowhere near as bad as the two worst offenders in Japan for riding out car platforms and only moderately tweaking them for 4 and 5 generations: Honda and Toyota, it is down right egregious how long those two companies ride out their platforms for some of their more cheap and popular models. Yet, somehow they always seem to fly under the radar when they do it. Must be nice to be in the pockets of so many journalist in the auto world.

They don't really get away with it. Every journalist mentions it, but the cars end up being fairly refined overall. The cars sell themselves and the demographic doesn't quite care about the boringness. Mazda always gets praised for everything and sells about a fraction over the entire lineup of what Toyota sells Corollas. Does it make the Toyota and Hondas bad cars? No, they're not bad cars, just extremely boring and bland and a safe buy.

Anything over 70 and my car can't hold a straight line. Twitchy steering, which probably is what makes the steering feel so responsive at lower speeds.

Hush your mouth! You are bad mouthing zoom-zoom!! It's not twitch, it's responsive! :D

Its all alignment. Mazda is sporty b/c they toe-out (negative toe) their rear for a responsive turn-in at the cost of stability (and tire wear!). Theres always a double edge sword. Zero toe would be the balance but then Mazda cant claim zoom-zoom, which I interpret as sporty mid-speed curves not top speed cruising. The proper way to get it set is quality suspension components + RWD (BMW).

If you want to make the Mz5 track straighter and increase stability/less twitchy, have it alignment for more toe-in (small increments have a big impact, any extreme will accelerate tire wear). Decent tire and fat tire would help too.
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

They don't really get away with it. Every journalist mentions it, but the cars end up being fairly refined overall. The cars sell themselves and the demographic doesn't quite care about the boringness. Mazda always gets praised for everything and sells about a fraction over the entire lineup of what Toyota sells Corollas. Does it make the Toyota and Hondas bad cars? No, they're not bad cars, just extremely boring and bland and a safe buy.
The engineers at Honda/Toyota know exactly what they are doing/after!. Enthusiast, while prevalent in cyber space and publications which seem to represent the majority due to the outward visibility (forums, magazines), are a tiny minority of the general buying public who could give a rats arse. This is America. We want HWY cruising end.

^yep blandness sells.

I will say, our little MZ5 subgroup has been one of the more reasonable / level headed groups of car guys. All the other car groups are just pure fanboys. Even the Nissan Leaf forums are full of smug hippies, not true car enthusiasts.

I don't seem to have have that issue with my car (dunno)

New tires erased some steering feel and turn in urgency but also made it more stable at higher speeds. This and the added sound deadening make it a much more pleasant car to drive on the weekly grind.

Interesting mention on what a true car enthusiast really is. I hear a lot of nonsense at work from the uneducated/inexperienced guys and mostly keep my mouth shut. Last discussion was how hard it was going to be to change out the sparkplugs on a 15k mile OHC I4...

I only know one guy with a Leaf and he's a true car enthusiast. His driveway also holds a viper gts, a porsche cayman, and a vette.

Last edited:
There's a very thin line between fanboys and car enthusiasts, but a lot of fanboys try to disguise themselves as car enthusiasts...

I'm getting ready to buy a Mazda 5. My local dealer's inventory listings just showed a 2015 Mazda 5; I called and asked, and they think they'll be getting it in a couple of weeks. I asked if they had any brochures or more info about the 2015 model, and he said yes, he had gotten a box of materials but hadn't opened it yet, but that I could stop in to pick one up. I went in, and sure enough got a booklet about the 2015 Mazda 5. So it seems it is not being phased out just yet. (I am in the Northeastern US.) I was surprised, since the mazdausa site still only lists info for the 2014 model.

I hope it's true that they are continuing it for 2015. Might mean a OEM touchscreen radio might finally be available, as they have it for the 2015 foreign markets.

Yes, I picked up a brochure for the 2015 Mazda 5 several weeks ago, and could find absolutely no differences between it and the 2014. They even re-used some of the photos. I ended up buying a 2014 model since it was a bit cheaper. I'm fairly happy with it so far! I've gotta say though, the vehicle really gets no love from Mazda or the dealers. The weekly newspaper ads I see from our Mazda dealer never shows the 5, and national ads never seem to show it either. At least in my area, they mostly sell by word of mouth. My street (which only has about 20 houses) has 3 Mazda 5's on it, and there are 2 more within a mile (and this is a fairly small town), and everybody loves their 5.

Nope. The Skyactiv 5 came out in other markets a few years ago. It won't be reaching US shores.

Back