Mazda5 Oil Cooler replacement from Rock Auto?

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
Anyone ever use this specific replacement cooler from Rock Auto? If so, what has been your experience?

1626378474959.png

Are you sure the cooler unit is damaged/leaking and not the gasket? I recently replaced the oil cooler gasket with a Fel-pro 72709 @ Amazon $12. Quality part. Note the gasket is different for +’12 models.

Attachments

• 7C154D86-9802-4EEA-B986-3DA113F150D0.jpeg
    7C154D86-9802-4EEA-B986-3DA113F150D0.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 1A2D6CA9-AB75-4E70-B8B6-F7F30A3101B4.jpeg
    1A2D6CA9-AB75-4E70-B8B6-F7F30A3101B4.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 118
Hey Silentnoise! Not sure. I thought about doing just the gasket, but decided to just do the job once. I had a friend who replaced the gasket and had to do it 2 more times before just getting the cooler. I was able to find a Dorman cooler at a relatively decent price, so I pulled the trigger. I'll clean up the old one and post an update.

Seal replacement can be hit or miss but failures are usually due to low quality part or user error. If you think about it, the new cooler comes with a new seal, which... you have to reinstall, same as just replacing the gasket... Curious, what brand of gasket did your friend use or did he use gasket maker?

Make sure you clean/prep the area well and the gasket is installed in the right orientation (there is a wrong way). Also, the through bolt is large 17mm (IIRC) head but you don't need to overtighten it; just need to sandwich the gasket.

Last edited:
Seal replacement can be hit or miss but failures are usually due to low quality part or user error. If you think about it, the new cooler comes with a new seal, which... you have to reinstall, same as just replacing the gasket... Curious, what brand of gasket did your friend use or did he use sealant maker?

Make sure you clean/prep the area well and the gasket is installed in the right orientation (there is a wrong way). Also, the through bolt is large 17mm (IIRC) head but you don't need to overtighten it; just need to sandwich the gasket.
Thanks for the advice and perspective! Even with all the reading and video watching I did, that approach never made a mark in my mind! Should have probably asked earlier.
As far as my friend, I'm not sure what seal brands he used. I know he did not use sealant maker.

Got the new cooler on today. Topped off fluids, burped the radiator and checking for leaks overnight. Might have to do some more "burping". Got good heat and everything looks okay but the fans never came on at all, even after an extensive idle. Will check that out tomorrow.

All seems well. No leaks from the new cooler. Test drives yesterday and a longish trip, complete with stop and go traffic and as far as the water temp gauge is concerned, rock solid in the middle. Probably going to invest in either gauges or one of the apps to have better info. I'd say this repair is done and dusted.

Back