Mazda2 Alarm System Questions

Hatchy Zoom

:
2012 Mazda2
I've been thinking about installing an alarm system in my new 2. I searched the manual, but it seems that the only "alarm" on the car is only the engine immobilizer, which I think is great, but might benefit from the addition of an actual alarm. However, I have to be honest- this sounds really silly- but I like my OEM Mazda remote control key and I wouldn't like to replace it with a generic alarm remote control. Also, I'm wondering whether an alarm might be more trouble than it's worth- electrically and so on- the manual is sure to "alarm" the owner about the dangers of installing a third-party alarm and how it could invalidate the warranty, etc. etc. What do you guys think? Is an alarm even worthwhile these days?

Your call really. I've heard horror stories where getting an alarm installed has caused numerous electrical gremlins down the line. Of course, that could just be the install(er) itself, but in the end it's up to your discretion. On the flip side, I also know a few people with aftermarket alarm systems with zero problems.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for feedback. Do most people skimp on car alarms these days? They definitely don't seem to be as popular as they once were- perhaps with good reason, or not?

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for feedback. Do most people skimp on car alarms these days? They definitely don't seem to be as popular as they once were- perhaps with good reason, or not?

My take is that people install alarms these days for one of three reasons:

1. Their car lacks an immobilizer (it's an older model or something) and they live/work in a sketchy area
2. They install an alarm that also includes remote start, which is all they really want it for
3. They're absofreakinlutely paranoid about anyone even getting near their car (and usually have the alarm sensitivity cranked way the hell up)

I guess the real question for you is, what are you looking to gain by adding an alarm? If it's to prevent someone from stealing the whole car, you have an immobilizer already for that. If it's to keep someone from stealing something inside the car, well, the alarm will go off only after they've caused damage, e.g. breaking a window. (And never mind the fact that when people hear a car alarm going off, they immediately think "jeez that's annoying" not "holy crap someone's getting their car stolen".)

If you're worried about something inside the car getting stolen, maybe a good compromise would be to get your windows tinted instead -- thieves generally won't break into a car just to rummage through it and see if there's anything good; they'll only break in if they can plainly see something that would make it worth their time. (And heck, if I lived in Florida I'd want to get my windows tinted anyway ;-)

Doesn't your car already have an alarm? I was working on my car one day, heard the doors click locked by themselves and a few seconds later when I bumped it, the horn started going off until I clicked the alarm off again. Pretty sure one night late a few weeks ago it got set off too.

Dealer told me one click sets the immobilizer, and two clicks with a honk sets the alarm -- seems like on mine the alarm is set whenever the doors are locked?

My take is that people install alarms these days for one of three reasons:

1. Their car lacks an immobilizer (it's an older model or something) and they live/work in a sketchy area
2. They install an alarm that also includes remote start, which is all they really want it for
3. They're absofreakinlutely paranoid about anyone even getting near their car (and usually have the alarm sensitivity cranked way the hell up)

I would fall into the third category, LOL! I kid, I kid! But I do get- concerned- about her. I park her away from the shopping carts and try to park her close to my window just in case.

If you're worried about something inside the car getting stolen, maybe a good compromise would be to get your windows tinted instead -- thieves generally won't break into a car just to rummage through it and see if there's anything good; they'll only break in if they can plainly see something that would make it worth their time. (And heck, if I lived in Florida I'd want to get my windows tinted anyway ;-)

Actually, I'm not very worried about anything inside the car getting stolen. The most valuable things I have inside are my hidden GPS and my visible 8-year old iPod (still ticking!- Gotta make my money count!) I'm most interested in preventing as much damage as I can. I figured an alarm would at least shorten the amount of time in which thieves could damage the car. That said, I think you're right- alarms aren't very effective at calling attention anymore and the immobilizer should take care of the rest. It's true I've never had a car with an immobilizer, so I'm not used the idea that the car can't just be easily how-wired.

As for window-tinting, I'm right there with you!- And it's actually something I'm looking into having done soon. I had tints in my old car and it really cut down the heat inside the car. I'm just looking for the right shop and tints right now. I'll try to get it done next week and will certainly share some pics on here.

Doesn't your car already have an alarm?

Seriously? The manual made no mention of an alarm, and I've seen no such behavior. The only mention I saw about locking is that the doors would lock if unlocked remotely and not opened after a certain amount of time.

Mine came with a dealer-installed KARR alarm that integrates into the stock system and works with the stock key remote. I live in a crappy area so I don't mind the extra safety, especially since it has a bright blinking blue alarm light, and having an alarm lowers your insurance.

Back