Mazda delays launch of 2016 Mazda2 subcompact?

needmazda2

:
Honda
"In a terse statement issued today, Mazda announced its delaying the launch of its all-new 2 subcompact hatchback until sometime next year. It was originally set to go on sale late this summer, and has already made its public debut at auto shows in Canada and the U.S.

The decision comes as a surprise to us, but serves to explain why it pulled the car from the (Automobile Journalists Association of Canada) AJAC Eco-Run, scheduled for the end of March.

Mazda says its pushing back the 2′s arrival so it can focus on the launch of other new models, specifically the MX-5 roadster and CX-3 compact crossover. Fair enough, we say, as those are higher-profile models: the CX-3 will be a bigger seller, and the MX-5 is the brands halo car, and the new design will do much to draw drivers into the brands showrooms."

Source: http://www.autos.ca/general-news/mazda-delays-launch-2016-mazda2-subcompact/

Well, this explains everything we've heard so far. It doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad I didn't try to wait for the next gen.

I haven't seen any of the new 2s here yet either. I'm sure there are some tooling around at Mazda's HQ for testing but I haven't heard of one on the show circuit.

Derrick

There are no 2's of either the current or next generation at the Minneapolis Auto Show. Somewhat surprisingly, there aren't any preproduction CX-3s or Miatas on display either. Just several Mazda3's, CX-5's, and one each of the Mazda6, CX-9, current gen Miata and Mazda5. Guess Mazda's going where the money is.

While at the Mazda dealer last week buying a new Mazda3, I asked about the 2.

My salesman said they won't come out until the fall, after the Toyota Yaris debuts.

For what that's worth, who knows ... but he is one of the top salesmen on the east coast, apparently, and definitely knew the cars inside and out.

Hey everybody,
To add more confusion about the 2 coming to the US, I found this article about the 2015 World Car of the Year finalists.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/16/2015-world-car-of-the-year-finalists-official/

In the article in states the 10 finalists and the last part somewhat defines where they can be found. Nothing definitive but it is crazy that Mazda would not have a subcompact car in their portfolio.

The top ten finalists for the award include the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, Citron C4 Cactus, Ford Mustang, Hyundai Genesis, Jeep Renegade, Mazda2, Mercedes C-Class, Mini Hardtop (specifically the four/five-door version), Nissan Qashqai and Volkswagen Passat. Most of these models are available Stateside, with the exception of the BMW, the Citron and the Nissan, while the VW is a different model on either side of the Atlantic.

e478c87eedb94af560e0615008db1fdf.jpg
so far love the new Mazda 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back