Mazda CX-50

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
There isn't much news out there, but here is an article that cites a Japanese media outlet. The publication also published their own render of the upcoming CX-50.

156065.jpg

According to the article:
- upcoming engine options are a 3.0L in-line 6 Sky-X w/ 48v mild hybrid system, a 3.3L in-line 6 Sky-D, a 2.5L 4cyl Sky-G w/ 48v mild hybrid system, and a 2.5T 4cyl Sky-G
- expected to debut in 2021 or early 2022
- more stylish coupe-style design with a lower roofline, new LED headlights, and a sharper-looking front fascia as an evolution of Mazda's Kodo "Soul of Motion" design language

What do you guys think?

Thanks for posting the first thread in one of our newest Forums! (y) Excellent summary of what we currently know as well...I like those engine options and I trust Mazda will design the CX-50 to be as appealing if not more than the current CX-5 (it will be a very tough act to follow no doubt). Perhaps with an even sleeker more premium design. We’ll see, can’t wait! 😁

I hope it does not look like that picture. Because that is kinda fugly.
Yeah that appears to be a mishmash of current Mazda designs rather than an actual accurate representation. That's why I mentioned that I "trust" Mazda will release something as or more appealing than the current CX-5.

That said...It is fun to see renders!

IMO the body lines are too defined and too angular to fit with the design choices Mazda is making on their new vehicles. I'm pretty confident it won't look anything like that render.

I hope it does not look like that picture. Because that is kinda fugly.
Yeah, that rendering suggests a back to the future jellybean.

It's probably best to keep auto journalists out of the clay modeling room. If it were to take on that unfortunate profile I'd presume it would be for aerodynamics, squeezing out some little bit of MPG.

I find it hard to believe they would have four engine options in any one market. It stands to reason a normally aspirated in-line 6, if that comes to fruition, would be for the US market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe they would have four engine options in any one market. It stands to reason a normally aspirated in-line 6, if that comes to fruition, would be for the US market.

The article states that diesel options would not likely make it to the US until later. So the proposed engine options are the 3.0L Sky-X in-line 6, 2.5L Sky-G w/ mild hybrid, and the 2.5T Sky-G. I have a feeling the current 2.5T will become the standard engine, and the Sky-X will debut on the 2023 model of this new CX-5/CX-50. Place your bets! lol

The over all profile isn't bad. But some of the details look ridiculous; namely that horrible lower fascia and the silly "eyebrows" above the wheel wells.

OTOH, the concave midsection borrowed from the current Mazda3 would not be a surprise. And the rather awkward D-pillar treatment of the current CX-5 certainly does need improvement... maybe not this, exactly, but something closer to the Alfa Romeo Stelvio or Jaguar E-Pace would be nice. I'd also love to see Mazda reduce the bulk of the plastic wheel arch trims (or simply eliminate them).

Nevertheless, as has been said, I trust Mazda to do a better job than whoever dreamed up this mishmash... as long as they don't let partner Toyota, with their newfound RICE* design language, anywhere near Mazda's styling studio!

* For those not aware, that's not xenophobia. RICE=Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements, a disparaging acronym applied to folks (RICErs) who do silly things like putting a giant wing on the back of a Dodge Neon, or super wide "rims" with stretched tires that have to be cambered at 45° to fit their ragged out lime green Acura Integra (also with the giant wing on the back). [/snark]

The article states that diesel options would not likely make it to the US until later. So the proposed engine options are the 3.0L Sky-X in-line 6, 2.5L Sky-G w/ mild hybrid, and the 2.5T Sky-G. I have a feeling the current 2.5T will become the standard engine, and the Sky-X will debut on the 2023 model of this new CX-5/CX-50. Place your bets! lol
I have a hard time seeing more than two engine options in any one market unless they anticipate much greater sales. Even the high volume US 2020 RAV4 with 7 trim lines had the standard 4 cylinder and the hybrid as the only engines. Same with the CRV, the standard small block turbo or the hybrid.

It's just not cost efficient to proliferate drive trains. I would expect the US upgrade to be the inline 6 or they kill that concept and stick with the turbo. I have a hard time seeing a diesel, let alone a 4th. option, in the US.

We have a little election coming up in the US where one might expect drastic differences in CAFE standards depending on which side wins. In the unlikely event of 60 Democratic Senators you're probably looking at carbon taxes of one sort or another. The 4 options presented, so far as the US market goes, looks like hedging bets. You might see a full-hybrid Toyota drive train in a Mazda model before some of these other possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would think that is true, the new model will come in 2023 but what I am more interested is that about one year ago, Mazda was saying that this fall they will reveal they're Inline Six Diesel with Mild Hybrid and that it will be a revolutionary engine. So far no news on that but I hope that will come to fruition just because based on the initial numbers, the inline six diesel supposed to produce the most hp/lbs torque from they're lineup.

I have a hard time seeing more than two engine options in any one market unless they anticipate much greater sales. Even the high volume US 2020 RAV4 with 7 trim lines had the standard 4 cylinder and the hybrid as the only engines. Same with the CRV, the standard small block turbo or the hybrid.

It's just not cost efficient to proliferate drive trains. I would expect the US upgrade to be the inline 6 or they kill that concept and stick with the turbo. I have a hard time seeing a diesel, let alone a 4th. option, in the US.

We have a little election coming up in the US where one might expect drastic differences in CAFE standards depending on which side wins. In the unlikely event of 60 Democratic Senators you're probably looking at carbon taxes of one sort or another. The 4 options presented, so far as the US market goes, looks like hedging bets. You might see a full-hybrid Toyota drive train in a Mazda model before some of these other possibilities.

There will definitely be more than 2 engine options in they're lineup. You need an entry model, which the 2.5G will stay, than the 2.5T whether is going to get updated or not as the middle trim and then the SkyActiv X I6 and potential SkyActiv D - I6. The later will probably be more geared towards the new large architecture.

Keep in mind, that Mazda wants to reduce CO2 emissions with they're new ICE engines and the new SkyActiv X along with the hopefully new SkyActiv D with mild hybrid, will do just that.

Couldn't help myself.
There are so many cute utes out there already, it just seems like a waste of resources for Mazda to introduce another one.
Surely Mazda can do better than to just copy everyone else?

Couldn't help myself.
There are so many cute utes out there already, it just seems like a waste of resources for Mazda to introduce another one.
Surely Mazda can do better than to just copy everyone else?
What does that even mean? Like Mazda isn't supposed to revamp their line-up? And who says Mazda is copying everyone else? Have they ever just copied everyone else? Seems to me they have a pretty darn good track record of producing vehicles that appeal to automobile enthusiasts bored stiff by the other Japanese manufacturers.

Last edited:
Before this goes any further, let's remember to respect each other first and foremost. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

A message for everyone: If you don't agree with someone's opinions or you're tired of reading posts from a certain member, use the Ignore feature (click on the username, then click on the Ignore button). If you think the post is a troll post, please report the post and a moderator will investigate.

Now, let's get this discussion back on topic.

Back