Mazda concept sports car for Tokyo auto show

Thanks for posting about this as I was about to.. (thumb)

The idea and teaser pic already has me excited, especially that pic...Just look at that silhouette!

Ps...Been a while since I've been to the Tokyo Motor Show, maybe I should try to attend again this year. This new concept is certainly a good reason to..!

Ps2...I do wonder though how many people in this day in age would be interested in a new rotary-powered sports car. I would hope A LOT but I'm not so sure the market is that big...It would have to be somewhat "ground breaking" to attract new buyers...The last rotary Mazda, the RX-8 was a great car but did not seem to win over hearts and minds like the RX-7 did...I could see a new Rotary Mazda with a lot of RX-7 DNA possibly being a hit...We'll have to wait and see! :D

Ps2...I do wonder though how many people in this day in age would be interested in a new rotary-powered sports car. I would hope A LOT but I'm not so sure the market is that big...It would have to be somewhat "ground breaking" to attract new buyers...The last rotary Mazda, the RX-8 was a great car but did not seem to win over hearts and minds like the RX-7 did...I could see a new Rotary Mazda with a lot of RX-7 DNA possibly being a hit...We'll have to wait and see! :D

I've been wondering the same thing. The "affordable" sports car market has been weak at least since the recession. Supercar sales have apparently taken off lately, which I attribute to the ending of the recession. During the recession, while everyone was talking about stringing up the top 1%, supercar sales tanked because it wasn't popular among the seriously wealthy to be seen driving those signs of extreme excess. They certainly weren't affected by the recession. I don't think the affordable sports car market has recovered in the same way. I worry that Mazda won't be able to make two sports cars profitable. Miata sales aren't what they were, either. One of their executives stated that a while back during the "new RX-7" rumors--that "Mazda cannot have two sports cars in our lineup," or something to that effect.

Still, I really want to see this concept, and I'm hopeful that Mazda has indeed figured out how to make a new rotary engine fuel efficient and clean. I want that laser ignition I read about! :) If it is a rotary sports car, they build it, it's reasonably priced, significantly faster than my RX-8, and as good as I expect it would be, there's a very good chance I would sell or trade my RX-8 for one, probably after the new car has been on sale for a couple of years. I know some old RX-7 owners who are very interested in this announcement, too.

I'm going to go NUTS waiting until October 28th!

The last rotary Mazda, the RX-8 was a great car but did not seem to win over hearts and minds like the RX-7 did...I could see a new Rotary Mazda with a lot of RX-7 DNA possibly being a hit...We'll have to wait and see! :D

They really neutered the RX-8 in terms of power and beauty in an attempt to increase reliability (which they failed) and comfort. Though the RX-8 is a great car in it's own right, I think Mazda didn't quite shoot themselves in the foot, but they did shoot off their pinky toe in regards to the FD still being so readily available coupled with it's massive aftermarket support and they didn't really improve on much from the FD's downfalls and strengths.

Trying not to get my hopes up on a new rotary design, but you bet I'll be keeping an eye out!

Last edited:
Nissan has a GTR, Honda has a new NSX, Toyota went huge with the LF-A, and Mazda needs a halo sports car, hopefully one with a 16X Wankel in it! (hi)

They really neutered the RX-8 in terms of power and beauty in an attempt to increase reliability (which they failed) and comfort. Though the RX-8 is a great car in it's own right, I think Mazda didn't quite shoot themselves in the foot, but they did shoot off their pinky toe in regards to the FD still being so readily available coupled with it's massive aftermarket support and they didn't really improve on much from the FD's downfalls and strengths.

Trying not to get my hopes up on a new rotary design, but you bet I'll be keeping an eye out!

I don't agree with that. I seem to recall reading somewhere that, in terms of sales, the RX-8 was the most successful rotary-powered car Mazda ever produced. I don't know if that's accurate, but it sold quite well initially. When it was first released, it's acceleration numbers weren't that far behind the competitors, and the RX-8 was, and still is, one of the world's best handling sports cars. Real suspension improvements were made over the FD RX-7. The engine had necessary changes to meet stricter worldwide emissions standards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RENESIS rotary the most powerful normally aspirated 2-rotor that Mazda ever made (in OEM form)?

As far as beauty is concerned, I think the RX-8 is one of the sexiest looking cars in the world, only slightly less so than the FD RX-7, and dramatically more so than the previous RX-7s. Considering the comments and looks I get from strangers, including a very attractive woman asking me if she could have sex with my RX-8, I'm apparently not the only one who feels that way. I've never understood the scorn that the RX-8 gets from so many rotary enthusiasts. I know for many it's simply not being able to get past the rear suicide doors and usable back seats. I couldn't care less about that. If it looks like sports car and drives like one, it's a sports car.

It seems like you're coming from a VERY subjective point of view. I don't dislike the RX-8, but I would never spend my own money on one. Just as you state how many like it, there's even more who will forever deem the 7 as the superior sports car.

Take or it or leave it, that's just how it is, doesn't mean the RX-8 is a failure and not a true sports car.

Rotary powered car sales figures

Cosmo Sport:1,176 units

Familia/R100: 95,706 units (coupe: 70,624 units / sedan: 25,082 units)

Capera/RX-2: 225,003 units (coupe: 121,242 units / sedan: 103,761 units)

Savanna/RX-3: 286,685 units (coupe: 159,732 units / sedan: 48,201 units / wagon: 78,752 units)

Savanna Van: 72 units

Proceed: 16,272 units

Parkway: 44 units

Roadpacer: 800 units

Cosmo/RX-65: 104,513 units

Eunos Cosmo: 8,875 units

Luce: 253,267 units

REPU: 15,xxx(waiting confirmation of this number)

RX-7: 811,634 units

RX-8: 191,026 units (As of the end of Nov 2011)

I can break it down year by year for ya, but it's not even close.

Still, I really want to see this concept, and I'm hopeful that Mazda has indeed figured out how to make a new rotary engine fuel efficient and clean. I want that laser ignition I read about! :) If it is a rotary sports car, they build it, it's reasonably priced, significantly faster than my RX-8, and as good as I expect it would be, there's a very good chance I would sell or trade my RX-8 for one, probably after the new car has been on sale for a couple of years. I know some old RX-7 owners who are very interested in this announcement, too.

I'm going to go NUTS waiting until October 28th!

Unfortunately those are going to be mutually exclusive and if a new Wankel-powered vehicle is released RX-8 values are going to plummet. That being said I think we're more likely to see an up-scale, hopefully RWD, sedan than a sports car. Mazda is one of the few Japanese manufacturers to lack an up-scale market in the U.S.

I don't agree with that. I seem to recall reading somewhere that, in terms of sales, the RX-8 was the most successful rotary-powered car Mazda ever produced. I don't know if that's accurate, but it sold quite well initially. When it was first released, it's acceleration numbers weren't that far behind the competitors, and the RX-8 was, and still is, one of the world's best handling sports cars. Real suspension improvements were made over the FD RX-7. The engine had necessary changes to meet stricter worldwide emissions standards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RENESIS rotary the most powerful normally aspirated 2-rotor that Mazda ever made (in OEM form)?

As far as beauty is concerned, I think the RX-8 is one of the sexiest looking cars in the world, only slightly less so than the FD RX-7, and dramatically more so than the previous RX-7s. Considering the comments and looks I get from strangers, including a very attractive woman asking me if she could have sex with my RX-8, I'm apparently not the only one who feels that way. I've never understood the scorn that the RX-8 gets from so many rotary enthusiasts. I know for many it's simply not being able to get past the rear suicide doors and usable back seats. I couldn't care less about that. If it looks like sports car and drives like one, it's a sports car.

The rotary engine is a special design, and has it's place. Perhaps modern technologies and materials might be able to bridge the chasm.

I always felt that it was FORD's fault that there was not more progress on the Rotary. They were more interested in Mazda for the MZR engine platform, which they continue use of today as ecoboost. Now that Mazda is officially on it's own again, I would not be surprised to see some further developments here. The rotary doctors have been busy concentrating on producing some great new cars that appeal to a much broader market, such as the Mazda 3, 6, CX5, CX3, Miata, and soon to be released CX9. Now maybe they might have the room in the budget they can pop out an enthusiast car...(huh)

Last edited:
Ford had nothing to do with the demise of the Rotary or the RX8. They stopped producing it due to emissions and fuel economy standards. Simple as that.

Ford had nothing to do with the demise of the Rotary or the RX8. They stopped producing it due to emissions and fuel economy standards. Simple as that.

Yes, but if FORD wanted to put some money into the development of the Rotary, it could have been possible to overcome these hurdles...(bang)

FORD did not like the rotary. Ford owned the controlling interest in Mazda. Ford prevented Mazda from making any further developments on the Rotary.

Last edited:
I really hope whatever it is they're scheming up won't be priced far above reasonable reach for the average middle class guy. Looking at you GT-R, Supra, and NSX.

It seems like you're coming from a VERY subjective point of view. I don't dislike the RX-8, but I would never spend my own money on one. Just as you state how many like it, there's even more who will forever deem the 7 as the superior sports car.

Take or it or leave it, that's just how it is, doesn't mean the RX-8 is a failure and not a true sports car.

All of those comments, on both sides, are subjective, so, yes, I was. I was also providing evidence that the sexiness of the RX-8 is not just my subjective opinion alone. I would also lay a substantial amount of money on a bet that most people on the street would find the RX-8 sexier than the first two generations of RX-7. The third generation is, in my subjective opinion, one of the best looking cars ever made by anyone. The FD was also, in relative dollars, quite a bit more expensive than the RX-8, which is one of the reasons the FD died an early death in the U.S. Reduced price and lower cost of insurance were two of the main goals of the RX-8 program.

Rotary powered car sales figures

RX-7: 811,634 units

RX-8: 191,026 units (As of the end of Nov 2011)

I can break it down year by year for ya, but it's not even close.

To be fair, the RX-7 sales would need to be broken down by generation, with notes on how long each generation lasted, but at 191,026 sold, the RX-8 was hardly a failure, which was my point. The Series II (which I own), certainly was, by sales numbers. That's unfortunate, as the Series II had a large number of significant reliability improvements, and was, in Mazda's words, "The RX-8 we wanted to build in the first place." Based on rumors I've heard, it was Ford who kept Mazda from fully developing the original RX-8, which was largely why it was so troublesome.

I still suspect it will be a rotary. Mazda stated that it has a “...sense of lineage and authenticity, appearing almost to condense Mazda’s entire history of sports car development into a single model.” If they make that statement, and it doesn't have a rotary, they will look like fools. They have to know that hinting at a new sports car that's not a Miata, everyone will be thinking one thing: ROTARY. I hope they don't disappoint. Either way, I'm wondering if I would actually be able to part with my RX-8. My original excitement has worn off a bit, and reality has set in. I wonder if I would rather spend less money and do something drastic with the RX-8 to get more power, like an engine swap.

Rotary confirmed!

I still suspect it will be a rotary. Mazda stated that it has a ...sense of lineage and authenticity, appearing almost to condense Mazdas entire history of sports car development into a single model. If they make that statement, and it doesn't have a rotary, they will look like fools. They have to know that hinting at a new sports car that's not a Miata, everyone will be thinking one thing: ROTARY. I hope they don't disappoint. Either way, I'm wondering if I would actually be able to part with my RX-8. My original excitement has worn off a bit, and reality has set in. I wonder if I would rather spend less money and do something drastic with the RX-8 to get more power, like an engine swap.

ROTARY CONFIRMED!!!

SKYACTIV-R is under development!

(nailbyt)

How do you know? Where did you see that? The reveal isn't until 7:30 PM Eastern Time tonight.

Back