Mazda Announces Pricing and Packaging for 2023 CX-50

In that PDF that caffeinepwrd posted, it mentions a "Rear Direction Base Safety" feature for the turbo Prem Plus. I searched but could not find out what that means. Anyone else have any idea?

As I look further, in the table it mentions "Rear Smart Brake Support" - maybe that's what it means?

Last edited:
In that PDF that caffeinepwrd posted, it mentions a "Rear Direction Base Safety" feature for the turbo Prem Plus. I searched but could not find out what that means. Anyone else have any idea?

As I look further, in the table it mentions "Rear Smart Brake Support" - maybe that's what it means?
I would go by the detail in the table and the summary on page 4 rather than the line that references "rear direction base safety" which sounds like a catch-all or a garbled translation.

The features table and page 4 show rear-directed features related to safety that are unique to the top trim: 360 degree view monitor, Parking sensors- front and rear, Rear Smart Brake Support (R-SBS) and Blind Spot Prevention (BSP). That's the extent of it.

I would be interested to know what BSP does that standard blind spot detection does not, just as a matter of curiosity. Also the table shows the rear camera is dropped in the top trim which seems odd.

I would be interested to know what BSP does that standard blind spot detection does not, just as a matter of curiosity. Also the table shows the rear camera is dropped in the top trim which seems odd.
I found that on info for the CX-30 (maybe?). It seems to be similar to the Lane Departure feature, where it tries to steer you away if it detects something in your blind spot as you are moving over. Given how 'sensitive' the BSW is, I hope that the 'protection' feature is no stronger than the Lane Departure one.

UPDATE: Well, I searched again and can no longer find what I think I saw before. So take the above with a large pinch of salt :)

Last edited:
I found that on info for the CX-30 (maybe?). It seems to be similar to the Lane Departure feature, where it tries to steer you away if it detects something in your blind spot as you are moving over. Given how 'sensitive' the BSW is, I hope that the 'protection' feature is no stronger than the Lane Departure one.

UPDATE: Well, I searched again and can no longer find what I think I saw before. So take the above with a large pinch of salt :)
Still there.
Page #2, last line on the left.
"Turbo Premium Plus Package (in addition to Turbo Premium package): Front and Rear Parking Sensors, 360deg View Monitor, Navigation (w/3-year Traffic & Travel Link Trial), Traffic Sign Recognition, *Rear Direction Base Safety*, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated Rear Seats, Frameless Auto Dimming Interior Mirror..."

I think it means the SCBS-R. i.e. the vehicle brakes for you in a backing-up situation when the parking sensors detect obstacles (warning first, then brake). My guess.

Back