LankyKiwi's Rally-flavored SP20

Fo_Aw6DaYAUJ6Cd.jpg

Can you spot what I've done? :p

Extra bonus points if you can figure out why! :D

Close!

Door handle swap to a Capella/ 626 unit which has the lock tab on the handle rather than out the top of the door card, I'm forever bumping these things and they get in the way when cruising with an arm on the door top :D All 4 doors are getting the same treatment.

Fo_BLhdaIAA9Yly.jpg

Door cards are going to be retrimmed sooner or later to get rid of the plastic surround and hole 👍

Oh OK, 👌

I remember there was a mod where you could shorten the lock tab so that it was flush with the door when it was locked.

Oh OK, 👌

I remember there was a mod where you could shorten the lock tab so that it was flush with the door when it was locked.
That's what I ended up doing to mine but I like Kiwi's idea up there.

Reactions: pcb
FxltYV7acAEQIfr.jpg

All the original ball ends on the front swaybar links were shagged, the LH threaded ones were both bone dry and very loose! Got a few years out of them so not complaining :)

Swapped to rose joints as I can get them cheap through work :D had to shorten the links a bit more and make some spacers to get proper clearances. Haven't tested them yet but I suspect they'll be a bit noisy compared to the ball ends.

Annual roadworthy inspection next week, fingers crossed nothing pops up 🤞 that'll mark 2 years on the road!

FuxDM9PakAAx0U_.jpg

That looks pretty wicked! Hope you can get some action shots of your P5 in the rally.

This one was fun!
860ish Kms from Hamilton to New Plymouth to Taupo almost entirely on back roads including the infamous Forgotten World Highway.

It's worth noting this wasn't a race. It wasn't timed and no points were award for getting anywhere first. The whole point is exploring, driving with cool cars and having fun on some incredible roads.

F5nHbsSaYAAThN2.jpg

77 cars entered, about 150 people. Everything from a $500 Toyota Duet to a brand spanking new Porsche 911. Heaps of rally and road legends, a rented Nissan Bluebird (their intended car wasn't ready in time) and a fire truck. Top theme went to a couple of absolutely terrifying clowns in a yellow mini.

F5rruEHaYAA10-J.jpg

F5iVmDgbsAAp_um.jpgF5rrudTacAAN4FW.jpgF5neuHrbIAAFf_f.jpg

Used just over 2 tanks of fuel, not as thirsty as I thought it would be!

F5rtfANbwAAV8Yi.jpg

One of the MR2 drivers snapped a few pics, might get this one printed for the shed wall :)

F5rud6CaoAAV0g8.jpg

F5rueKDboAAtapz.jpg

F5uPPERbUAAKFws.jpg

Car did pretty well, handled like a go-kart and surprised a few people :p Had great fun chasing a Ver7 WRX and a group of well sorted MR2s. Couldn't keep up with the big Audi sedan or Porsche though 😂 Absolutely no brake fade or issues, only a few understeering 'moments'

There's a few things to sort out now:
- Badly chipped windscreen :(
- Front swaybar links loosened up over day 1, had to do a cheeky pit stop outside my accommodation :D
- A loud clunk developed in the rear on LH turns, think it's a swaybar link binding up. We did a gravel section and it stopped clunking for a while so it'll be interesting to get under it and see what moved
-Rear guards need rolling / massaging as they rub like mad.
- Day 2 only had half throttle under boost before it started stuttering, I thought I'd left a sparkplug lead loose after checking them over night but I suspect it's the fuel regulator as it's fine with the supercharger off.

Honestly I didn't miss the lack of top end power given how twisty the roads were, it was still fun!

If you get a chance to go for a drive like this, Do It! Being in a group is so much fun especially when the organisers are on to it, the weather is perfect and the roads are amazing.

Last edited:
F_wcM4-boAAXlvg.jpg

Another Gumboot Charity drive in the bag! Didn't take many photos unfortunately but it was a good day on the back roads with like minded people. $1600 and a bunch of supplies donated to the local SPCA animal shelter 😸

Prep for this run included welding up the lower factory O2 sensor adapter as it was loose and wouldn't tighten any more, and cleaning and rebuilding the rear sway bar
F_B4I7cboAABGAZ.jpg

F_QqVI1bAAAmjyO.jpg

And I gave it a wash :)

F_ud88gagAAsvXo.jpg

The swaybar bushes are just about shagged (again) and I need to source some more and make some saddle clamps that distribute the force more evenly - the current bushes are both worn right in the middle.

Nearly lost the lower rad hose as well, it had slipped and was leaking slightly on the drive home. Going to pull out the universal flexi hose and make up a hard pipe I think.

Also borrowed the boss's GPS timer/speedo because he wanted to know how fast the car is:

7.7 secs 0-100kph with supercharger
12.5 without

I'm not the most aggressive driver and those times could probably come down with a proper launch, but hey it's quick enough to have fun!

After the last run there was a bit of a coolant smell around, turns out the lower radiator hose had slipped and was weeping coolant everywhere :(
F_0jGgYaQAA_Njg.jpg

The universal flexi hose has been a PITA since day one and it hits both the supercharger and the headers, it keeps moving and leaks often,

So I gave myself a crash course in aluminum TIG welding, ordered some joiners and made a new hose :)

GAzTcabacAARVpV.jpg

I thought there'd need to be a whole bunch of pie cuts and bashing to get clearance but it turns out 2 90 degree bends worked out absolutely perfectly. Pressure tested it using a compressor and a bucket of water just to be safe

GAzTcscbQAA_vj8.jpg

Much nicer! Juuuuust clears the supercharger and miles of room from the headers. I'd like to get proper band clamps instead of the jubilee style clamps eventually

GA4RH0nasAAPiBF.jpg

Just to check everything worked I took it over to a cars and coffee event with my sister in her WRX 😀 No leaks, no overheating, no issues!

for rally have you thought about swapping in the AWD system? I've been looking in to it myself but I can't seem to find any photos of the drivetrain and transmission

for rally have you thought about swapping in the AWD system? I've been looking in to it myself but I can't seem to find any photos of the drivetrain and transmission

Very brief considered finding an 4WD version as they do come up for sale here, but they're a lot heavier and with no real benefits for what I wanted to do :) Plus the 4WD models are all high compression FS-ZE powered, which probably wouldn't like 9psi stuffed in it :D

I think the floorpan and rear suspension is wildly different but haven't had the chance to poke around one yet.

Very brief considered finding an 4WD version as they do come up for sale here, but they're a lot heavier and with no real benefits for what I wanted to do :) Plus the 4WD models are all high compression FS-ZE powered, which probably wouldn't like 9psi stuffed in it :D

I think the floorpan and rear suspension is wildly different but haven't had the chance to poke around one yet.
If you do find one please post pictures. I find them very interesting

Back