Kumho Ecsta ASX vs. SPT

DaleNixon

:
2001 Miata, 2011 Mazda 2
I need a set of tires for my RX-8 wheels. I want to get 235/40/18 tires to throw on.

How do the Kumho Ecsta ASX compare to the SPT's? I don't want to compromise wet traction as it rains a good bit here. Which tire would be the better one for wet traction of these two?

If anyone here is running ASX's or SPT's, how do they compare to stock? Thanks!

my thoughts on the asx's. this time i am talking abou the right tire! haha

i had them on my wifey's civic before switching to some general altimax hp's. the reason for the switch was two sidewall bubbles on two different occasion on two different tires on two different sides of the car. i actually liked the performance of them quite a bit. they had very good dry traction, excellent rain traction and even decent in some light snow. but for me the reliability of them was questionable after the second sidewall bubble. i just didn't feel comfortable with her driving with them

ASX are all season tires. If you don't need that then go with the SPT's. Will put a set on my Miata when I wear out the originals.

Had them on my P5, very good tire.

I had ASX on my Protege5. They were awesome tires.

Would the SPT offer superior rain traction over the ASX or vice-versa? That's my primary concern.

SPT's do great in the wet, but if the temps drop to freezing or below, watch out! Just make sure you rotate them when you should, and you will get longer wear out of them.

i like asx in all conditions. i had them on my wife's one si, and they were really great tires. great wet, even good in snowy/slushy conditions...

nice tires, esp for the price!

Ought to consider Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs. I just replaced my RE050s with these and I'm surprised by how well these perform. Wet/rain performance was very important for me and I didn't want to give up dry traction, and at the same time not spend the money for RE050s though they are little bit more then the SPTs but not by much.

I've had them for 1k miles now and they're fantastic. Read the reviews on Tire Rack. Folks over on the BMW forums love them also. A lot of M3 drivers switch to them instead of replacing their uber expensive PS2s and have been very happy.

I just got the asx's they were very cheap i got them in 235/40 and i only paid 83 each. so far im happy with them. They do have less traction by far in my opinion compared to the reo50s but then again allseason sub 100 tire vs max summer $200 tire. also the asx i will say performed very well in the snow and slush for me. I was doing like 40 on a windy road with 3 inches of snow on the road and slush on top. that was a fun night

Tooch, does a 45mm offset stick out more than a 50mm? I have RX-8 wheels which are 50mm offest and no rubbing so far. Sacrilicious is running Cobb springs with my same setup with no fender rolling and has no rubbing. I wonder if I'd be safe doing that as well. </offtopic>

To go back on topic, the SPT's are pretty phenominal tires. If you live in an area that rarely dips below freezing, I highly recommend them.

I have the ASX on my wife's Focus. I don't like the lack of traction in the rain.

Ought to consider Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs. I just replaced my RE050s with these and I'm surprised by how well these perform. Wet/rain performance was very important for me and I didn't want to give up dry traction, and at the same time not spend the money for RE050s though they are little bit more then the SPTs but not by much.

I've had them for 1k miles now and they're fantastic. Read the reviews on Tire Rack. Folks over on the BMW forums love them also. A lot of M3 drivers switch to them instead of replacing their uber expensive PS2s and have been very happy.

I have those for my Speed. After 12000 miles, I hate them. While there is plenty of tread left, they have lost most of there grip.

I have the ASX on my wife's Focus. I don't like the lack of traction in the rain.

I have those for my Speed. After 12000 miles, I hate them. While there is plenty of tread left, they have lost most of there grip.

OH man I'll have to keep track of the milage and performance. It's been another 3k miles and they're doing great, though the sidewalls are def not as stiff as they're were but still give good feed back.

i had the asx on my protege and they only lasted a year with normal driving and not spinning any tires

I just got the asx's they were very cheap i got them in 235/40 and i only paid 83 each. so far im happy with them. They do have less traction by far in my opinion compared to the reo50s but then again allseason sub 100 tire vs max summer $200 tire. also the asx i will say performed very well in the snow and slush for me. I was doing like 40 on a windy road with 3 inches of snow on the road and slush on top. that was a fun night
Tooch, are you running the 235-40's on your stock wheels?

Question. They put the new tires on the back and moved the old ones to the front. I have a protege 5, so front wheel drive. My hubby says they only did that so the front ones would wear out quicker now and I'd have to new ones faster.. I thought you were supposed to put the good tires where the drive was ???

Latest posts

Back