K&N filter=wow

BadKarma said:
The K&N drop-in air filter (that goes into the stock airbox) had no noticable gain for me. Apparently, it also deposits oil on the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor resulting in a CEL (Check Engine Light), so unless you're ready to clean the MAF at regular intervals, it may just be best to stick to OEM filters.

I've got one as well. I felt slight gains, but I expect that's because when I bought the car the filter was FILTHY. I also noticed the sound above 3.5k rpms is just slightly deeper.

The oil issue isn't really a big deal. From what I've heard, that rumor comes from people over-oiling it when the clean it out. Just be careful how much you oil it when the time comes.

Basically, if you're going to bother upgrading your intake you may as well go all the way and get a CAI.

I was paranoid about getting filter oil on my MAF. So what I did was clean and oil the filter as instructed, then removed the MAF from the intake system. I ran the car up and down a local major road (20 min round trip) with most of it cruising and a couple hard accel spots. Gets the engine nice and warm and also sucks any excess filter oil into the engine with out dirtying your MAF. Then reinstall, and your CEL will turn off.

I just checked my air box (to see the condition of the filter), and to my surprise, the previous owner put a K&N air filter in there! And, now I laugh at myself for being fooled by a normal filter that had been sprayed with "K&N oil treatment". Crikey, what a LA-who-ZA-HERR!

Last edited:
i have a k&n cold air intake, the throltle is so much snapier, and it makes it kick in around 4500 rpm for me then it takes off like a bullet, dispite the 300$ setback, its one of the cheapest way to make power!

Back