Jerkiness at low speeds when AC is on - Common?

Hi all-

We have had our new '22 Premium, non-turbo, for a few months now and one thing I've noticed is that the car seems to feel a bit jerky when you just start to engage the accelerator at low speeds/coasting, but only when the AC is on. For example, if you're in a parking lot, going slowly, the car just feels jerky when you slightly depress the accelerator, and it's tough to keep it smooth until you start to pick up more speed.

Is this normal behavior for this car? We're not used to this engine/tranny, so not sure how much to tolerate.

Thanks!

Hi all-

We have had our new '22 Premium, non-turbo, for a few months now and one thing I've noticed is that the car seems to feel a bit jerky when you just start to engage the accelerator at low speeds/coasting, but only when the AC is on. For example, if you're in a parking lot, going slowly, the car just feels jerky when you slightly depress the accelerator, and it's tough to keep it smooth until you start to pick up more speed.

Is this normal behavior for this car? We're not used to this engine/tranny, so not sure how much to tolerate.

Thanks!
This is a somewhat common complaint with the non-turbos across model years since 2018 when cylinder deactivation was introduced. There are several threads on the subject, some of which are shown below under "Similar threads," I also experience mild lugging situationally, a less common complaint, but at least one poster experiences the same in a 2017 pre-cylinder deactivation. It would take a deep dive into posts to see if this is unique to AWD versions. Then again, many posters don't disclose which they have.

Yeah, it's the go-slow-go sequence at lower RPMs where the complaints are concentrated. I can't say I notice a difference in wintertime, so if AC off under the same go-slow-go circumstances relieves you of those jerks it could be something different.

Is it normal? Well, in the sense that it's been going of for 5 model years I guess the answer is "yes". In the sense that it is a bothersome idiosyncrasy, then "no". They can't get the engine-torque converter-transmission integration quite right for these situations.

You could try the higher revving sport mode--some say it relieves the issue. Personally I don't care for it, makes for a noisy ride and probably burns more gas. Or try turning on the off road mode which probably turns off traction control and stability control. In earlier models where there was a traction control off button some have reported that the off mode provided relief. That should be reserved for dry roads.

When younger had a little 4 cylinder VW rabbit that would jerk once the AC kicked on. Back then you learned to turn the ac off to power up hills, etc.

The mazda CX5 has continually gained weight with each new model year to the point that imo, the NA 4 maybe isn't enough to power it, especially with the AC on.

Like HardRight Edge says, the sport mode may run different for you and resolve the problem.

Since i've downsized to smaller lighter rims and tires, my CX5 NA performs very well and accelerates well even with the AC on.

Other things to check are the AC belts and maybe the motor mounts. These could potentially cause kick/jerk when compressor kicks on.

As yours is still under warranty, have the dealer check it out. If it continues to bother you and the dealer doesnt provide answers or fix it, then contact mazda corporate and lastly then consider taking to your local mechanic.

So far mazda dealer and mazda corporate has been a major disappointment as they failed to address issues under the 3 year bumper to bumper as well as charged me for PCU and TCU firmware updates during warranty period.
Reasons to not fix some of the problems included many excuses to include :
1.Thats normal operation
2. We can't recreate the problem during test driving it or while in garage.
3. Thats not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

Can't wait til i have engine problems during the powertrain warranty.

Good Luck!

Thanks, all! I will clarify for Jack Rabbit - there is no lack of power or jerkiness when accelerating or at normal and cruising speeds. This issue really only happens when you are slowly (0-5 MPH) coasting and need to try to feather the gas pedal to maintain a slow crawl. Think stop and go traffic.

thats how it is for the non turbo model.
its not exsctly jerkiness but more like lack of torque between the car trying 2nd gear while in motion (super slow speed and rpms) or starting from 1st gear when fully stopped.

I notice this a bit of that on my CX-5 turbo when the a/c is on. Our cars (at least up until 2021, the 2022's may be different as they use the newer r1234-yf refrigerent) use a cycling compressor; the elecro-magnetic clutch engages & disengages the compressor to maintain the desired evaporator temperature, typically a few times a minute once past the initial cool-off phase. When this happens, the change in load on the engine gives you the feeling of a slight jolt. The ECM attempts to correct the idle speed but you still feel a slight jolt. My previous car, a SAAB 9-3, used a variable displacement style compressor that stayed engaged anytime the a/c was switched on. This setup virtually eliminates the sudden change in engine load.

Back