JD power rating for mazda cx5 is LOW !!!!!

My cx5 door has fallen twice. Once on my neighbor and once on a cop. So for me this has been the best car ever. Plus you get free transmission every 40k miles. Win win.

I just scheduled my appointments for the four recalls on my '16 CX-5. This will require time off from work.
Being the type to avoid dealer service departments, opting to do my own maintenance and repairs, this is a negative for me.
I can see how JD Powers might gather some unfavorable statistics regarding perceptions of quality. That said, I do enjoy the vehicle and think it was a good value.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet; that's how WWI got started.... (shrug)

Ask your self, are YOU happy with what you purchased..?? If the answer is yes, then go on and be happy, if not, trade it in and start over..

Use the dealer all you can under warranty that's what it for...

Last edited:
The JD Power survey doesn't hold much weight with me any longer since it was reveled they weight all problems equally--i.e. problems with infotainment systems carry the same weight as a failed transmission.

I no longer put my details in any car survey, because I don't agree with how the results are calculated.

I just scheduled my appointments for the four recalls on my '16 CX-5. This will require time off from work.
Being the type to avoid dealer service departments, opting to do my own maintenance and repairs, this is a negative for me.
I can see how JD Powers might gather some unfavorable statistics regarding perceptions of quality. That said, I do enjoy the vehicle and think it was a good value.
4 recalls for 2016 CX-5? Fuel filler pipe、liftgate lifters and bolts、passenger side airbag reprogramming, and I can't come up with the forth one? And the revised parts for liftgate recall haven't been available yet according to recall letter.

Like you, I avoid dealer service, and do my own maintenance and repairs. So far I haven't done any recalls yet. And my nav hasn't worked for more than 3 months now ⋯ (whistle)

Probably better off using your phone NAV anyway as our 2014 with all the updates is blind to finding many destinations properly. My wife is a traveling infusion Nurse and she read me the riot act last night telling me to get rid of the car! Since it as screwed me many times as well I can see her frustration with it's beyond inferior Tom Tom POS.

If JD power said the CX-5 was great everyone who discredits it including me would be on the band wagon!

JD Power is primarily a marketing firm that creates awards at behest of the car companies so they can all pat each other on the backs. They are not a consumer-focused entity. As such, to me, they and the "awards" they peddle are meaningless.

Last edited:
4 recalls for 2016 CX-5? Fuel filler pipe、liftgate lifters and bolts、passenger side airbag reprogramming, and I can't come up with the forth one? And the revised parts for liftgate recall haven't been available yet according to recall letter.

Like you, I avoid dealer service, and do my own maintenance and repairs. So far I haven't done any recalls yet. And my nav hasn't worked for more than 3 months now ⋯ (whistle)

You got 'em, the fourth is the cold weather power loss (which may be for the 2.0 only).

No recalls ever in the UK with both cars I've had, do US regulations use different criteria?

No recalls ever in the UK with both cars I've had, do US regulations use different criteria?
It can be. Fuel filler pipe recall is initiated by NHTSA who found the excessive fuel spillage during the rear end crash and rollover test. Liftgate lifters and bolts recall is due to some of them would rust and fail to hold the liftgate. Passenger side airbag reprogramming is a Special Service Program (SSP) A6 which is supposed to prevent fabric tear of the passenger front air bag during deployment. I also suspect this has something to do with 2016 CX-5's 3-star rating on passenger side for NHTSA Frontal Barrier Crash Test dropped from 5 stars of previous MY.

There's Electrical Parking Brake control module replacement recall in Australia but not in the US. (uhm)

Saw JD power rating and surprised to see that they rated 2016 CX5 low !!!!! (eyeballs)
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Mazda/CX-5/2016
I don't agree with that rating . What you guys think about that low rating by JD power ?

Disappointing. But counter to my experience, with my CX-5 and Miata vs the Power ratings. However, Mazda has a spotty rep with my friends. One says they are either s****, or perfect and run 200k miles and you can't predict which one you'll get. Nobody says that about Hondas, yet mine had to have a new Trans and the new one was doing the same thing 35k miles later.

Mazda has to kill the little gremlins before people will trust them, and buy more. Chrysler products usually have bulletproof drivetrains, but the rest of it falls apart. Do you wonder they went bankrupt several times and are now owned by Fiat (!!!!!!!)?

Probably better off using your phone NAV anyway as our 2014 with all the updates is blind to finding many destinations properly. My wife is a traveling infusion Nurse and she read me the riot act last night telling me to get rid of the car! Since it as screwed me many times as well I can see her frustration with it's beyond inferior Tom Tom POS.

If JD power said the CX-5 was great everyone who discredits it including me would be on the band wagon!

Get a Garmin.

I didn't mess much with the factory radio, I have purchased a refurb Kenwood and I'm pretty happy with it. The startup is a bit slow and the screen mirroring is a hit and miss, but other then that, it works well. Has Garmin in it as well.

Issues, like shaking mirrors and lumbar support braking, shouldn't be an issues these days.

My personal experience doesn't corroborate their study findings/rating. My 2013 CX-5 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, my next vehicle won't be a Mazda.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Issues, like shaking mirrors and lumbar support braking, shouldn't be an issues these days.

This is absolutely true.

HOWEVER...

...neither should destroyed 2.0T's, vibrating CVT's, oil-drinking 2.5L's, transmission-eating RAV4's, and a host of other issues that other similar vehicles from other makers have that made me go with a CX-5 and it's bad interior and exterior quality/accessories but solid drive-line instead. I'd rather a stripped out rattletrap that I can always count on, as a daily beater, than a nicer vehicle with expensive driveline issues.

Those shouldn't happen either, but at least these basic thing, that are not complicated mechanical devices, shouldn't have any issues.

Back