Is the stock catch can/system replaceable on a 2017 CX-5?

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
Can the existing stock catch can system/setup be replaced/cleaned,/maintained?

Now I know some of you might say "Well, just put in the Corksport Catch Can system if you're going to go through all that hassle". Yes, that is a good point, but maybe just replacing the existing system would help.

Thank you.

I wasn't aware that these cars came with an OEM catch can? Where in the engine bay is it located?

AKAIK, there is no catch can on CX5. Only a oil separator.
Hence, feel free to install a catch can if you want it.

I prefer an oil separator to a catch can. In cold climates a catch can collects oil and water vapors that condenses into the can. When they freeze up in cold weather they can cause engine damage. The CX-5 oil separator drains the condensed oil and water into the crankcase where the water is evaporated when the engine is operated.

I prefer an oil separator to a catch can. In cold climates a catch can collects oil and water vapors that condenses into the can. When they freeze up in cold weather they can cause engine damage. The CX-5 oil separator drains the condensed oil and water into the crankcase where the water is evaporated when the engine is operated.
While your thought is worthy to at least think about they don't really work in the practical sense. A engine compartment is semi insulated from extreme cold temperatures. I am sure you can find someone somewhere that had what you said happen but it's just not usual. As for the oil separator vs Oil catch can, well the better companies that actually did development of a catch can are far better than an oil separator for a few reasons, all positive. The sad thing is there is everybody that wants to sell a CHEAP version of a catch can hurts those that have good ones and therefore they all kind of get a bad reputation along with information that is not indicative to a well-engineered catch can.
The MAZDA oil separator is for the most part sell servicing as long as you keep up on the recommend oil and filter changed schedule. I would guess unless damaged you would never need to change or service a MAZDA oil separator?

While I don't have any real world experience with a freezing catch can I do have real world experience with - 30 F to -40 F outdoor temperatures and I can assure you that at -20 F the engine compartment in very close to the outdoor temperature. The engine is not capable of producing sufficient heat to heat the outdoors and at -20F has trouble heating the interior of the vehicle in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, the catch can will freeze if it contains water just as the windshield washer bottle will freeze if it contains water. A Google search provided me with all I need to know about freezing catch cans.

While I don't have any real world experience A Google search provided me with all I need to know about freezing catch cans.
Googal is your friend. ;)
I cant fight that logic, 😂
Best advice for you is take your own advice.... just don't get one.

Is there any benefit to servicing/cleaning this part/system?

Personally, I think there is a benefit, but only if you are experiencing an oil dilution issue that you didn't have before. If all other driving habits remain the same (driving style, length of commute, etc.), then it's possible that the oil separator isn't doing it's job.

Personally, I think there is a benefit, but only if you are experiencing an oil dilution issue that you didn't have before. If all other driving habits remain the same (driving style, length of commute, etc.), then it's possible that the oil separator isn't doing it's job.
Then the suspected problem part would be the PCV valve not the oil Seperator.
If you actually inspected an oil separator off the engine, then I am sure you would understand why they are indirectly self-cleaning. When the engine is off the oil separator does not hold the oil it drains back into the engine. Part of the reason why it is at the lowest possible mounting position on the engine. There is no servicing procedure for cleaning a OE oil separator that I am aware of on most engine having them?
I just had mine off last summer, now I wish I had taken pictures ...oh well next time

Then the suspected problem part would be the PCV valve not the oil Seperator.
If you actually inspected an oil separator off the engine, then I am sure you would understand why they are indirectly self-cleaning. When the engine is off the oil separator does not hold the oil it drains back into the engine. Part of the reason why it is at the lowest possible mounting position on the engine. There is no servicing procedure for cleaning a OE oil separator that I am aware of on most engine having them?
I just had mine off last summer, now I wish I had taken pictures ...oh well next time
So in your opinion it gets cleaned with the free energy called.........gravity? Good design Mazda!

So in your opinion it gets cleaned with the free energy called.........gravity? Good design Mazda!
Well sure we will for the sake of argument say that gravity is a component of the part. Describing how an oil separator works was not an opinion of mine but simply how they work. MAZDA did not design it originally oil separators has been used on many manufactured engines for years. I never said nor suggested cleaning effect or to service clean regarding the oil separator. Cleaning is not what they do, nor do they in normal circumstances need it servicing.
Now for an opinion, the poor design is the intake manifold for at least none boosted MAZDA Skyactiv engines. The PCV port pulls from the far end of the intake cyd#1 drawing the air and oil from the engine into the intake which will eventually create carbon on the intake and other combustion chamber areas. Adding a well-designed CATCH CAN will reduce (not eliminate) most of that.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but has anyone figured out a way to get to the PCV without taking the intake off?

Back