iPod alternatives?

Rickman

Contributor
:
91 NA + 09 Mazda5
I loath the iPod.. I honestly can't say why, but I just do. Maybe it's because I'm a PC guy, maybe it's because it's so trendy, who knows...

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you guys have used any other HD MP3 players? If you have how, do you like them? I'd like something that is at least 8-10GB, but bigger is better.

I'm selling some network equipment to raise the funds, so I expect to have around $200-400 (I know, it's a wide range) to spend. Any thoughts?

-rick

Dell jukebox?

Honestly the only other one I have heard of that has big storage...I know there is others though...

I carry my hacked xbox around. Kind of heavey, but not as heavey as the damn car battery to power it.

AS for hating the ipod, me too. Also a PC guy :)

Hey, OSX is out in beta for the PC now. Guess what it runs better on .... A PC INTEL chip.....ha.ha.h.ah.a.ha.

i had a dell DJ (the jukebox) but it got stolen. i had the first gen model and there was this problem with it freezing and you would have to reset it. now i have the zen micro (which shares the same firmware as the DJs, i think, or i know the layout is the same) and it has no problems. i would recommend the the DJ only its just a little big (again refering to the last gen0 the second gen is smaller and sleeker.

*edit* right now the 30 gb is 224 and the 20 gb is 199.

There are lots of good alternatives and I'm in the same boat. I'm an Apple fan, but everyone and their mother has one.

I want a good player that has line-level inputs so I can hook a mic. up to it (for recording, etc).

Still looking.

Nice.

About the biggest thing the iPod has going for it is aftermarket support, but I can live w/o most of that stuff...

dell, iriver, iaudio are all great

I'd put creative and archos' products lower on my list, but they are probably less expensive

i have a Dell DJ 2nd gen. My only complaint is that it used to freeze up. But after the firmware upgrade it freezes once in a blue moon.

toucci said:
dell, iriver, iaudio are all great

I'd put creative and archos' products lower on my list, but they are probably less expensive

Reasoning why you dislike Creative? They make some of the best players out there. I love my Zen Micro.

You also *do* know that Creative makes the Dell MP3 players, right? (peep)

After looking all last night, and reading thousands of reviews I think I like the iRiver H10. Looks good, FM reception, and voice recording, plus it accepts about 6 formats that the iPod does not.

-rick

I always thought the iRiver stuff were a bit overpriced. I dunno..when I was at a stopover at the Incheon Intl Airport in Korea...they had a big iRiver booth where you can sit in leather seats/couches and just listen/demo the iRiver products. They were expensive. A 512mb mp3 player would be around 240-290USD. Of course this might be due to the fact that it's an international airport and lots of tourists go through there.

i was debating between my zen micro and the H10 after my DJ was stolen. i went to best buy and held both and the zen just felt a little more solid. probably because its got a little wieght to it and makes it feel stronger. the H10 felt flimsy to me. but iirc its got a color screen that i thought was pretty nice. o ya the zen micro will soon be available with a color screen. about half a year ago they said it would cost 300 but i highly doubt that now since the ipod 20GB with a color screen is 300.

Back