Interchangeable fronts on the cx9

dishen34

:
Cx9
Hello all, I am new to the forum from Australia. I currently have a 2010 cx9. I would like to upgrade both the front and rear to the 2013 spec. I have sourced headlights, grill and bumpers. Can this be done? What else do I require?

Cheers

I can see changing the front - they made some very nice changes. But the back I feel they took a step backwartds. Went from LED to incandescent lights, and they just dont look as good. But, the front does make up for it...

The rear tail lights are really easy, I swapped out the 2013 incandescent tails with the previous generation LED tails,mechanically all the screw locations and notches are the same,
it's not true plug and play though,electrically you have to splice in the connectors to match the tail lights your are installing. So if you are buying 2013 tail lights you also have to get the matching connectors so you can splice into the wiring. Also, if you're going from 2010 to 2013 tail lights, you may not be able to light up the two red lights on the liftgate, the Mazda cost cutters took out those bulbs entirely, so you have may to run new wires, see here:

no lights.jpg

The front looks to be a very expensive endeavor, I did a one to one comparison for you and it looks like the
engine hood sheelmetal and the driver/passenger side panels with headlight cutouts on the sides looks different,

I may be wrong, you should double check the hood and side panels first before you buy anything.
see attached photo:

cx-9 2010  2013.jpg

also as you mentioned, headlights have to change to match bumper, there's an extra chamfer in front tip of the 2013 headlights

different headlights.jpg

or you can always change the whole look of the CX-9 with just a $10 spray can of plasti-dip,
a fellow forum member did a great job here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841458-First-time-plasti-dip-on-cx9&highlight=plasti-dip

You can always peel off the plasti-dip if you mess up or trade in.

Last edited:
At least the fenders look to be the same. So that cuts the costs some to do the swap. I def think its doable as both are really the same car with just a refresh.

Hello all, I am new to the forum from Australia. I currently have a 2010 cx9. I would like to upgrade both the front and rear to the 2013 spec. I have sourced headlights, grill and bumpers. Can this be done? What else do I require?

Cheers

I have on question about swapping parts on the cx-9. Has anyone try or does anyone think that is possible to swap the 2007 cx9 front bumper for a 2010 front bumper with the bigger grind? I know headlights are different, n the fog too. Would like to do a swap, prefer the 2010 look.

Thanks.

I have on question about swapping parts on the cx-9. Has anyone try or does anyone think that is possible to swap the 2007 cx9 front bumper for a 2010 front bumper with the bigger grind? I know headlights are different, n the fog too. Would like to do a swap, prefer the 2010 look.

Thanks.

This thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123845229-2012-CX-9-Deer
discussed in some detail the thoughts on swapping from 2012 to the newest 2013+ front end after a collision. This might get you started on looking at any differences between 2007 and 2010. I really doubt that there is difference in the connection points, as Mazda was pretty lazy with updating the looks of the CX-9 over the years (I believe the sides and rear end are the exact same since it's introduction in 2007, just differ in trim pieces and exhaust tips).

Back