Info screen not coming on. Dealer says entire CMU unit needs to be replaced

vinaymazdacx5

:
Mazda CX-5
Hey guys,

I own a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT, driven around 48k miles. So I am out of warranty and my infotainment screen just went off and wont switch on. When I try to do the reset using Nav+Back+Mute, sometimes I see the Mazda logo come on for a few seconds and it goes off again. If I keep trying this occasionally I see the reverse camera come on but again the screen goes off after 10-12 seconds.

I took it to the dealer, and he said the CMU unit has gone bust and needs to be replaced and it costs upward of $1300 before I pay so much, I wanted to check if anybody has faced similar issues and if anyone did indeed replace the CMU, does it really cost so much?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vinay

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 12.01.21 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-11-14 at 12.01.21 PM.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 351
I'm sure a big chunk of that $1300 is the shop labour involved with taking the dash apart, replacing the CMU, then putting everything together again. If it were me, I'd try sourcing a used CMU on ebay or from a junked CX-5, then visiting an audio install shop to see if they can replace it for you. Of course, this assumes that there is no special procedure the dealership has to do to sync the new CMU to the car.

Just some suggestions...

1) Do you have NAV SD card ? eject it and see if the head unit reboots without the SD card

2) Check the fuse for the headunit (I don't know where it is right now, but I'll try to find it for you later), it may be a fuse that is broken already but still touching when cold so it may work for a few seconds then heats up and the circuit breaks and you get a black screen.
either way try to find the fuse and replace it and see if that works

I'm sure a big chunk of that $1300 is the shop labour involved with taking the dash apart, replacing the CMU, then putting everything together again. If it were me, I'd try sourcing a used CMU on ebay or from a junked CX-5, then visiting an audio install shop to see if they can replace it for you. Of course, this assumes that there is no special procedure the dealership has to do to sync the new CMU to the car.

i actually did think of doing this. i have the exact same doubt. will it need a seperate sync to the new CMU for which i will have to go back to the dealer?

I found this online... https://visser.io/2017/04/how-to-soft-reset-the-mazda-connect-infotainment-system/

his description sounds like your symptoms.... looks like need to reflash the CMU ?

Danial McCannsays:
May 30, 2018 at 6:23 am
did not work.
Working initial conditions when turning the car on the display displays the safety message and then the function icons. Now all I get is the Mazda logo which turns on and off a few times (non-periodic) and then the function icons are displayed for a few moments and then the Mazda loge reappears. This sequence of events repeats in a seemingly random manner.

Michael Vissersays:
June 5, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Hi Danial, you*re stuck in a boot loop. Unfortunately only re-flashing the CMU unit will resolve this so you*re either in the deep-end of the pool doing this yourself via terminal or require a visit to your dealership.

May be if you decide to buy new,
you try to see if the price of that oem part is available online from another dealer and ask your dealer to match it.
There are more than a few mazda dealers that have online catalogs/webstores with the oem parts and good discounts in the 20-30% range.

Regarding adding a 2nd hand one I have no idea if it needs reprogramming on the Mazda. Other car brands that I am more familiar usually require it to be matched/programmed.

Another option would be to give yours to an experienced electrical engineer that fixes electronics, preferably auto. Its probably fixable.

You didnt try to flash anything on it before it stopped, right? i.e. the aio tweaks or firmware upgrade.

If I were you, I would call MazdaUSA corporate phone line, and plead the case.
Your 2016 is just out of warranty (by yrs).
Best scenario? Mazda will share the cost with you.

Tell them how much you love your CX5....
Be nice, be reasonable. You might be surprised....

Last edited:
hey guys,
I took it to the dealer, and he said the CMU unit has gone bust and needs to be replaced and it costs upward of $1300
before i pay so much, i wanted to check if anybody has faced similar issues and if anyone did indeed replace the CMU, does it really cost so much?

(thought) Umm, yes, all of this techno-wonder BS that everyone must have, and just can*t live w/o, DOES cost this much. So get used to this phenomenon ($$$) in your daily automotive life.

Brings to mind a thread regarding extended factory warranties. My $1200 Mazda 9yr/100k B2B warranty is a cheap insurance policy. A little over $0.36 a day.
Not so expensive, aye?

I'd bet it's pretty plug n play. I know it's popular to bag on your dealer and all that but I really doubt they are lying to you. If they thought a reflash would fix it, surely they would try it...

Brings to mind a thread regarding extended factory warranties. My $1200 Mazda 9yr/100k B2B warranty is a cheap insurance policy. A little over $0.36 a day.
Not so expensive, aye?

Meanwhile 1,000s of people buy those warranties and never get their money's worth. They wouldn't offer them if that wasn't true. Fact.
Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I'd bet it's pretty plug n play. I know it's popular to bag on your dealer and all that but I really doubt they are lying to you. If they thought a reflash would fix it, surely they would try it...

You would think so, but there are plenty of crooked dealers out there who would try to fool you into paying them to replace the CMU vs. reflashing the software and only getting paid for half an hour at their shop rate. These are the same dealers who keep dirty filters under the service desk so they can pull the filter out, claim it's yours, and then trick you into "replacing" a perfectly good filter (instead they just tag the charge on the invoice and don't actually replace anything). Sometimes it's best to do your due diligence and get a second opinion.

Not sure if this is the right thread. It's my first post! Happy about my car and the community.

My '16 CX5 is stuck in a reboot loop. Called Mazda NA per this thread and they gave me a $250 gift card for the diagnostic ($160 at local dealer), or toward the installation of new unit ($1600 for new CMU and new SD card).

They quoted me for the part no. TA0A-66-9C0B. Hopefully, I can find an older unit for about $100. This part is going for $300+.

Will update this thread as I find a way to replace the CMU. Any advice on finding this part, or older part outside of google or ebay?

Thanks in advance.

Back