In built dash-cam : is it really true?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Today, being Sunday I hook up with some friends from Asia, Europe. My good friend in Indonesia told me that he came across few modders and they have successfully tapped into the THING in front of my rear-view mirror, attached to the windshield.
Basically, what I understood is in GT+Tech/iActiveSense packaged CX-5 there's already very high end optics installed. Its just a matter of tapping into the correct wires and attaching a recording/display device. Basically, the camera is used for triggering Lane Departure Warning and High-beam control.
http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/active_safety/ldws.html
http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/active_safety/hbc.html

Next, the modders were successful in modifying the rear vehicle monitoring (RVM) to also do forward vehicle monitoring by attaching in parallel 2 more sensors in the FRONT bumpers.
http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/safety/active_safety/rvm.html

This I do find useful when trying to get out of a narrow driveway into incoming perpendicular traffic and there's 2 (say) SUVs on either side of the driveway and you can't really see left/right from your driver's seat. The front bumper is way out front and can detect traffic. I believe the latest Volvos have it.
Wondering - if this is indeed the case!!??

Last edited:
Wondering - if this is indeed the case!!??

Do you have any reason to doubt them?

But I'm not sure what you mean by "high end optics". HD video is cheap and ubiquitous but I doubt a car maker would use high-end optics to perform a job that could be done just as well with the cheapest lenses.

Do you have any reason to doubt them?

But I'm not sure what you mean by "high end optics". HD video is cheap and ubiquitous but I doubt a car maker would use high-end optics to perform a job that could be done just as well with the cheapest lenses.

I have, Mike (doubt them). It looks too damn futuristic..LOL. I mean if that's the case, man: we can have a dash cam for free! Actually, I think it will be HD level since I have seen my car detect even barely visible lane markings and that too in low light.

I mean if that's the case, man: we can have a dash cam for free! Actually, I think it will be HD level since I have seen my car detect even barely visible lane markings and that too in low light.

Dash cams are cheap. But one installed for other purposes is unlikely to be optimized for the regular reasons you might want a dashcam. It probably has no provision for recording the video. The angle of view may be too narrow to be useful.

My guess is that you would be time and $$ ahead to just buy an inexpensive dashcam.

You'd still need a central DVR device to record all the video. There is more to dashcam than just a camera recording video. It needs to be able to overwrite old clips, time and date stamped video, the ability to lock clips from being overwritten. Mine even locks clips when it detects severe impacts and embeds GPS info in the clip.

Ok. Now let's move to the sensors. Friend told me they installed 2 more, either side, front and now they have full coverage, front also. Does anyone know the schematics and part details of those sensors. That looks like a good idea.

Are you talking about the Blind Spot Monitoring Radar Sensors. If so how does that effect the BSM function? Does it go off with a car in front now?

Are you talking about the Blind Spot Monitoring Radar Sensors. If so how does that effect the BSM function? Does it go off with a car in front now?
No, I understood it as the modders were successful in modifying the rear vehicle monitoring (RVM) to also do forward vehicle monitoring by attaching in parallel 2 more sensors in the FRONT bumpers.
http://www2.mazda.com/en/technology/...afety/rvm.html.

If you had read the original post, you would have realized that I was speaking with a friend of mine who heard about these mods. Mike in fact asked about the reliability of this and I confirmed I don't know. Face value - seems possible, thus asked.

I didn't think they where actually cameras.

If they are Mazda could offer a after market kit?

Back