I present: Slacker Mobile 2.0

Beautiful car. How did painting the valve cover go? I'm trying to decide how to do mine. Paint or powder coat…just weighing the cost etc...

If I had wanted to spend the money I would have gotten it powdercoated. It will hold up better. I spent 5$ and got some of the yellow engine enamel. I just scuffed the valve cover up with one of the sponge-type sanding blocks and then hit it with a bunch of thin layers. I was actually painting in 50 degree weather which is lower then what the paint recommends but i think it came out nice.

I think that's the route I'm going to have to go. I'd love to powder coat mine, but not sure I can justify spending $60-$90 on it, and having to steal my wife's car to drive to work while it's being done. (however long that takes…)

UncleShrek....those are SRT4 rims aren't they? Very unique. Same bolt pattern? (5x114.3)
Seems like you needed a (5x100) Correct me if im wrong.

Looks awesome! Excellent choice on the rims and ride height ;)

It may be too hard/not worth it (perf -wise) to get the ram air effect of the hood scoop...

Quick updates:

Cracked 190,000 miles! I got the rear spoiler painted but i didn't get it mounted yet. I have all the car audio stuff to build the front sound stage up. My speakers are rated for 100w RMS which is great since the amp I got is supposed to be 100w RMS... except the birth sheet says 144w X 2 @ 4ohms. Once I get the adapter plates for the 6.5" speakers made on sunday i'll snap some install pics. I got the front lip spoiler mounted but about 6 hours after having it on I cracked part of it good. Looks like I get a fun project of fixing it. The paint on it wasn't the greatest and I have something a little but more custom in mind (and fix some of the fitment). Here are two shots from right after I got it on.
333435_10102996549083504_2119098050_o.jpg

468984_10102996550705254_967444533_o.jpg

Been a busy weekend. I have been dreading for the last two years taking off the side skirts and looking at the rust damage. Turns out this may be the last weekend I have this summer to work on cars so i decided to do it. Drivers side wasn't that bad, passenger side was sort of rough. I sanded down what I could, dremeled out the rust bubbles where I had to and coated the hell out of everything. I used rust reformer on everything that was really bad, the hit it and everything else under the car with the duplicolor rust fixer. Goes on clear but turns the rust black and is supposed to stop it. After that I threw a coat of paint on everything: Black for stuff under the side skirt and yellow with clear for the wheel arches. I figure even if it doesn't last all that long I'm okay doing this once a year to keep the car running. I've replaced or fixed so many things on it I just want to keep it now. Here is to rolling 300,000 miles with it. On to the pictures from the long weekend.
IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg
IMAG0213.jpg

I also had some old 'bumper chrome' paint laying around so I painted the inside of the factory rims. The previous owner didn't really clean them ever so they were rough. Sanded and masked then sprayed. I think they turned out nice. I also painted the calipers red as well. They were looking a bit ratty so color always helps. Also resprayed my rear exhaust valance: it wasn't black enough before. With the rest of the black paint I freshened up the windshield wiper arms as they were starting to look really weathered.

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

Here are the finished product pictures. Not the prettiest of jobs but I wanted to make sure the rust was good and dead.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

And here is the yellow car back together, washed, waxed, fully cleaned inside and happy.

IMAG0220.jpg

I am still working on fixing the front clip and painting it slightly differently thats hopefully unique to the p5 community. Also need to fit the rear wing since its been sitting for two months now painted.

Quick updates from today:

Finally got the rear wing extender installed again. Looks better this time. Also got my CF eyelids in the mail so cleaned them up and got them installed. Will be fixing the front lip tomorrow.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0236-1.jpg

Rolled 205k miles the other day so I figured it would be nice to do something for the car:

2007 Mazda6 brake upgrade with goodridge stainless lines the whole way around. I'll get some pictures up when I get back from South Carolina.

Last edited:
Sad day but it looks like its time to part the big things off the car and get it onto a new owner. New job that doesn't require me to carry things or drive crazy miles so i think i'm going to get into something more comfortable for my 5 mile ride to work.

Sad day but it looks like its time to part the big things off the car and get it onto a new owner. New job that doesn't require me to carry things or drive crazy miles so i think i'm going to get into something more comfortable for my 5 mile ride to work.

Part what type of things? I'd love to get my hands on that hood! Sooooo dibs if its an option and no ones called it yet hah.

Car sold yesterday with all the parts on it for an okay price. Its making the trip from PA to MI to be a new car for a kid going to college. Guess thats the end of this story.

thanks for the help guys!

Back