How to temporarily disable headlights?

for the M3TH go to car settings. Lights - DRL- OFF
Yes, my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (a Mazda2 in disguise) has such easy DRL setting change selection in “Mazda Connect” infotainment system. May be it’s by Toyota’s request Mazda added such feature as Toyota vehicles usually have a “DRL Off” position build-in to the headlight switch so that drivers can select it easily.

What is “M3TH” anyway? :unsure: “Mazda3 Turbo Hatchback”?

Last edited:
I don't think DRL can be turned off by user for Gen 2. DRL is always ON while driven.
But it can be disabled by a dealer.
The trick to turn off the headlights from the daytime running light setup that worked for 2013s also works on second generation (2017) and makes the switch in the car do what you want. Off is off, on is on, parking lights is the thin lights, auto is auto. It’s not something that has to be fixed by the dealer.

I’m asking about headlights, NOT the daytime running lights) I was at an nighttime event where it was requested to turn off headlights as we drove through a 5 mile holiday lights display. In my 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, even with the stalk position on Off, headlights remained (much to the chagrin of the car right in front of us). What can I do to override this? (what I assume is a safety feature). Thanks.
You remove the DRL relay and that will fix your problem. The reason your low beams stayed on it's precisely the DRL feature.

Yes, my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (a Mazda2 in disguise) has such easy DRL setting change selection in “Mazda Connect” infotainment system. May be it’s by Toyota’s request Mazda added such feature as Toyota vehicles usually have a “DRL Off” position build-in to the headlight switch so that drivers can select it easily.
If our CX-5 has this version of Mazda Connect system that would be nice!

E78B7A44-3284-4CFB-8140-DFCB48497AA7.jpeg

9B93C8DB-9AF4-4C32-B7E9-B750FCE80E79.jpeg

511B490F-0FCF-45D2-9CC5-B64289B8F8C5.jpeg

You remove the DRL relay and that will fix your problem. The reason your low beams stayed on it's precisely the DRL feature.
Or just use Mazda official instruction mentioned in post #20 previously to disable the DRLs.

I’ve tried that and I did not succeed.
If you read the entire thread with link in post #20, you’ll see many 2020 and newer CX-5 owners did it with that Mazda official procedure unless you’re in Canada. People said they failed to disable the DRLs with the procedure most likely they missed or misunderstood some steps.

That’s awesome! Which Mazda is this one?
That’s in my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA which is a Mazda2 in disguise. Toyota has always been offering an easy way to turn off the DRLs and they just have a build-in DRL switch position on the headlight switch stalk. Apparently that’s the requirement by Toyota when Mazda was building the Yaris iA for the Toyota. And adding a DRL selection in the Mazda Connect menu apparently is easy enough to satisfy the DRL requirement by Toyota.

Back