How often should the CX-90 PHEV engine be used?

Although I am leasing my vehicle, I am curious about how often the gas engine should be used/fired up to ensure it's all in working order. I ask this because I only do short city trips mostly, hence why I'm getting the PHEV.

I haven't found any documentation about this so curious as to others' thoughts on this.

The car actually turns on the engine every so often on its own. I tend to use the engine when my EV miles get down to 5 miles. I also like to use the engine on the highway and then switch to EV mode when getting off the highway. That way the engine gets rid of any moisture and it gets weekly lubrication. I do not think it healthy to let the engine never get used even though I could do that in my situation. I mostly drive EV mode and I am getting between 78 to 80 MPGe. It goes down when using the gas engine which I expect.

Although I am leasing my vehicle, I am curious about how often the gas engine should be used/fired up to ensure it's all in working order. I ask this because I only do short city trips mostly, hence why I'm getting the PHEV.

I haven't found any documentation about this so curious as to others' thoughts on this.
About every week or two, from what I've read.

No documentation by Mazda but I talked to my dealer who agreed with once week use the SPORT mode on the highway to get the engine heated up and lubed well. I get free oil changes so he has me coming every 6-10 months for that.

Back