How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Since my service my mpg has dropped noticeably by up to 4mpg.

Before service locally I was averaging around 44mpg on the average computer reading, last year it was around 43mpg on a new engine.
Today its dropped to 39.7 mpg. Something's not right.

Has your economy suffered? Or anyone else had this issue?

My fuel economy has been around 39 MPG since day one. I do approx 23k per year, 90% of which is on the motorway and I don't drive like a loon by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Mazda stated MPG figures are hopeful at best.

Perhaps Mazda are allowed to quote MPG over an average distance without a regen. If I sit at 60mph max then the mpg between regens is close to 60.

My fuel economy has been around 39 MPG since day one. I do approx 23k per year, 90% of which is on the motorway and I don't drive like a loon by any stretch of the imagination. I think the Mazda stated MPG figures are hopeful at best.

I get around 39mpg on the motorway, but normally around 44mpg locally, best on A and B roads is 55mpg

I have never seen 60mpg Dr Watson.

I have a 150bhp 2WD and am now typically averaging 48 mpg over the life of a tank. The best I have seen is about 53-55 and that was driving like a saint. Extended M'way driving drops that figure to more like 42-44mpg but I do tend to push the indicated speed to just below 80.

Nowhere near the official figures of course but one only has to go and look at the Real MPG figures on the Honest John website to realise that virtually NO car gets near the figures and certainly not since they revised the test in the recent past since which time the figures became even less representative of real life conditions.

I have numerous friends with Hyundais, Hondas etc none of whom can even consistently exceed 40 mpg so comparatively I think the Mazda is pretty decent.

Sorry to go off at a tangent but thought you need to know I have been monitoring my oil quality due to the regens causing oil rise.
I had the first oil Change early at 9800 miles i am now on 17605 miles and my oil quality is coming back as fair I am 6 mm off the x mark my driving is 95% motorway.I personally think oil changes should be carried out before the 12,500 miles.

Hey guys, completely off-topic (and I hope I am not stepping into a hornets' nest) but can someone explain to me the current situation with the Scotland vote? The media here really did not seem to have picked it up until the latest polls came out last week, but they are doing a piss-poor job explaining the circumstances and arguments/reasoning from each side...

Hi Xtrailman can you give me more feedback on the MGI towing mirrors you use please. Are they easy to mount and remove ? Are they affected by bow wave of oncoming HGV ? Are they easy to adjust ? etc

Hey guys, completely off-topic (and I hope I am not stepping into a hornets' nest) but can someone explain to me the current situation with the Scotland vote? The media here really did not seem to have picked it up until the latest polls came out last week, but they are doing a piss-poor job explaining the circumstances and arguments/reasoning from each side...

Read Paul Krugman's analysis.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/opinion/paul-krugman-scots-what-the-heck.html
Essentially, if Scotland keeps UK currency, and becomes an independent country,
they will be in a very dangerous position if there is another economic crash.

All you could possibly want to know is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides

My car had its second service today with approx 25k miles on the clock.... Cost was 197.00 which I thought wasn't too bad, however I also needed new front brake pads installed which was another 110.00.

Has anyone else needed new front pads at only 25k miles? If so, how much were they?

Hi,
Just to return to my earlier query, has anyone had to have an 'unscheduled' oil change between services because the level was too high and if so, was it done FOC?

Hi,
Just to return to my earlier query, has anyone had to have an 'unscheduled' oil change between services because the level was too high and if so, was it done FOC?

I did in the early days but the modification sorted it out as well as improved my fuel consumption. Mazda did reimburse me as well.

Alex

Very easy to fit and remove.
Obviously there is a routine, but once you have sorted that the mirrors are easy to fit.

Because they are small oncoming traffic doesn't really affect them, and adjustment is easy.

I have put two strips of black electricians tape on top and bottom of the mirror housing to ensure the mirrors are fitted in exactly the same place every time, I found if the mirrors where folded back the bottom of the strap, the plastic part could touch the door, so the bottom tape is just to make sure I don't put the strap to near to the window. It probably not something anyone would normally notice?

My routine is first loop lanyard over the mirror, slide the clamps over first ensuring the clamps are unscrewed just enough, too much and the clamp pads come off or twist out of line.
Fit straps I double back the spare strap underneath, then finally secure the clamps, don't tighten too much as the screws are only nylon.

Just been using them while away hence the delay in my reply.

Hi Xtrailman can you give me more feedback on the MGI towing mirrors you use please. Are they easy to mount and remove ? Are they affected by bow wave of oncoming HGV ? Are they easy to adjust ? etc

Last edited:
Hi Xtrailman, Thanks for the detailed fitting instructions for MGI mirrors. They are on my Christmas List. Hope you enjoyed your break. Spotted a CX5/Unicorn outfit in Stirling but got a funny look when I shouted Xtrailman ?

My car had its second service today with approx 25k miles on the clock.... Cost was 197.00 which I thought wasn't too bad, however I also needed new front brake pads installed which was another 110.00.

Has anyone else needed new front pads at only 25k miles? If so, how much were they?
Not at 25k, but just had the 37.5k service (270) and have been told that front brakes are 75% worn and the rears 60% worn. They quoted 180 for the fronts and 150 for the rears which I thought sounded expensive, and your 110 quote backs that up.

With Nissan the pads needed to be changed at 2mm thick, I can't see Mazda being different?

Just got 60.7mpg overall consumption from a 180 mile drive from north to south wales. At one point it had reached 67.2 overall which is almost close to my high score. After passing through the highest village in Wales got stuck in a bit of a queue of slow moving traffic due to road accident, and then took a detour on some narrow b roads, so not much chance to cruise in 6th gear. Still happy with the numbers.

Just got 60.7mpg overall consumption from a 180 mile drive from north to south wales. At one point it had reached 67.2 overall which is almost close to my high score. After passing through the highest village in Wales got stuck in a bit of a queue of slow moving traffic due to road accident, and then took a detour on some narrow b roads, so not much chance to cruise in 6th gear. Still happy with the numbers.

How many buses, trucks and bicycles overtook you? :)
But seriously, that's impressive. How many miles do you have on the clock just now?
Some of the roads in mid-Wales around Rhayader and Builth Wells are just wonderful for their beauty and comparative lack of traffic.

Currently on a holiday tour of California, Arizona and Nevada and interesting to see the CX5 is quite popular over here, especially in white.

Funny you should mention your car coming back from service with oil at the same level as it went in. Mine was EXACTLY the same, service at a GK dealer.

Oil did look slightly cleaner and oil quickly gets dirty on diesels quickly from experience. But now you've got me thinking.
Time was when I would mark the oil canister but on recent cars the filter isn't easily accessed, its under an access cover under the engine.

I did check the oil spec on the invoice but perhaps I am getting too trusting myself. I did only 7K miles so I'm not that worried about it, I usually change under 30K miles.

I think you should challenge them, I now wish I had done, but two people with the same oil level seems odd.

Had my first service done at 5400 miles on 4 Sep at 1 year & 1 day old - no problems at all with oil level before or after. Cost was 175, pleased that.

I have been really pleased with the car but have decided to trade her in for a Volvo XC60 SE Lux Nav D4 with the new 2 litre diesel engine and 8 speed dual clutch auto. I got a great deal and was extremely pleased with trade in price of 21k

Delivery is due in early November.

Back