How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Picked up my new CX-5 today after a 3 month wait. Seems such a long time since the test drives, but worth the wait. I still like the conservative interior (conservative compared to the Kuga, iX35 or Sportage in my opinion) and so pleased I opted for auto gearbox - my first on my own car. A 175 AWD Sport would have been nice, but given my budget, I'm very happy with the 150 FWD SE-L.

Observations on a couple of the dealer fit extras I've got -

1 - the boot LEDs are an improvement on the single standard lamp, though for some reason the dealer has wired them up to the interior lights, not the existing boot lamp, so they're not always on when I want them to be. I did mention this to the sales rep, but was told that the existing boot lamp is manual only, i.e has to be turned on and off via the built in switch, and will not turn on/off with opening and closing of the tailgate, hence wiring the LED lights to the interior lights. The standard boot lamp is definitely automatic as I expected it to be, so next visit to the dealers (to pick up the spare wheel) I'll be asking them to connect the LED lamps to the existing boot lamp.

2 - I had the Rear Bumper Step Foil put on, which is essentially glorified selotape and I'm not convinced that it will be very effective over a long period of time. Has anyone bought the Mazda Rear Bumper Step Plate? Does it look like it will offer effective protection and is it just a self-stick fit ?

Just fitted the Mazda roof bars to my CX-5. Even less impressed now with the lack of roof rails as an option for UK models.

I'll be fitting & removing these on a weekly basis in all likelihood. The process, however, is more than long winded. It's secure - don't get me wrong - I wouldn't want a slipshod method of fitting bars. But what I would *really* like is to have had the option of fitting roof rails, which would make the process of fitting & removing roof bars much simpler.

Bah.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Just checking in! First post on this forum, and just to say I have an SE-L Nav Auto diesel on order, expected delivery 3rd week in August but will hold on till 1st Sept for the new plate. Really looking forward to it, and very interested to read all the comments, particularly from UK owners.

I was slightly pressurised to go for the Sport (175 bhp) model, but all the reading and advice from the car mags, etc was that the SE-L was a good compromise between performance and economy, so that's what I settled for. Really the only additional features on the Sport I would have liked were the powered seats, and the reversing camera - guess I'll have to settle for an aftermarket device.

Incidentally, I've heard on the grapevine that there's a price increase from Mazda in the pipeline, I think 1st July, and am really hoping I'm not going to be affected. There's nothing in my purchase agreement as far as I can see to suggest my agreed price isn't fixed.

Hi,
I collected mine, identical to yours - except for LED DRLs - 3 months and 2,000 miles ago and I am sure you will be very pleased with it.
My previous car was a 2.0 TD VW Touran auto and the CX5 beats it in virtually every aspect. Happy motoring when you collect it

Hi all,
Just checking in! First post on this forum, and just to say I have an SE-L Nav Auto diesel on order, expected delivery 3rd week in August but will hold on till 1st Sept for the new plate. Really looking forward to it, and very interested to read all the comments, particularly from UK owners.

I was slightly pressurised to go for the Sport (175 bhp) model, but all the reading and advice from the car mags, etc was that the SE-L was a good compromise between performance and economy, so that's what I settled for. Really the only additional features on the Sport I would have liked were the powered seats, and the reversing camera - guess I'll have to settle for an aftermarket device.

Incidentally, I've heard on the grapevine that there's a price increase from Mazda in the pipeline, I think 1st July, and am really hoping I'm not going to be affected. There's nothing in my purchase agreement as far as I can see to suggest my agreed price isn't fixed.

If you've ordered and paid a deposit you have no issues whatsoever; that is the point at which a contract is formed so they cant put the price up on you.

Had some bad news today, my estimated delivery date of Sept 2nd is now 11th October!!! Great as my current car goes back late Sept :eek:(

My dealer informed me something very similar and I'm not happy but not much can be done.

Hi all,

It's always best to try things for yourself and make up your own mind. Some car mags have said the CX5 is suffers from excessive wind noise whilst others praise its quiteness! Hope your car arrives on time.

I ordered the 173 bhp sport, but only because I tow a 1565kg caravan, and it has most of the extras that we like, and have got use to.
The 148bhp turbo diesel is a wonderful car to drive, plenty of power for solo driving.

My car is due end of July, reading the above perhaps I should contact my dealer, as I have decided to sell my xtrail now rather than run two cars.

I drove four different CX-5's, and only one had excess wind noise on the motorway, along with mirror vibration, so I'm hoping I get one of the other three.

Hi m4zda.man I had to wait 17 weeks for mine I have done 1300 miles now and can tell you it was worth the wait, it is strange how the car reviewers can disagree so much I had been a bit worried by some over tomtom and 19" wheels but have found both to be very good. By the way you talk about powered seats, in fact only the drivers is powered.

And frustratingly there is no memory function to save 2 seat settings!!

I've posted this in the Engine Oil Rise thread, but thought it prudent to pop it in here as well as it seems Mazda UK have recognised/identified something.

Received a letter the other day from Mazda requesting I make an appointment with my dealer as part of a "Special Service Programme". This is to have the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor replaced.

"It has been found on diesel vehicles exhaust gas could damage the protective barrier inside one of the gas sensors on the vehicle".

Failure of this sensor could cause the following to appear:-

# The engine warning light may illuminate

# The i-stop function may not work

# There may be excessive "shift-shock" on vehicles with auto transmission

My first post. Just a quick hello, from sunny Berkshire. I ordered my car way back at the beginning of Feb 2013, it arrived at the dealers today, so hope to get my hands on it soon. Thanks for all the information that you have all been posting, it's kind of helped to pass the time whilst waiting for my car to arrive. Got some DRL LED's coming from iJDMTOY in the US, a silicone key cover (Ebay Singapore) and a hood edge protector (ebay 71 Heritage Mazda USA) to be fitted.

Just finished reading the 40 pages in this thread, and thought I'd comment on some of the points made. After the initial euphoria of waiting for, and then delivery of, the new cars it seems the inevitable reality has set in, with gripes starting to appear on a number of fronts, e.g. fuel consumption, oil levels, exhaust pressure sensors, rattles, TomTom issues, and so on.

I guess I'm hoping, with my SE-L Nav FWD auto expected in 8 weeks or so, that for every 'complainant' there are 10 others very happy, with no problems! I'd done a lot of research before the purchase, and Mazda feature highly in several brand reliability surveys. I suppose as a relatively new design the CX-5 is likely to have more issues in the early stages, hopefully to be modded out as time goes on.

Regarding fuel consumption, as has been pointed out somewhere, the official EU figures that all manufacturers have to quote are based on carefully controlled tests where the car only "drives" for less than 7 miles to generate the urban, extra urban and combined figures. I use the combined mpg as a guide, and only in comparison with other car's data. On my short list were the diesel automatic versions of the Kia Sportage, Hyundai Ix35, BMW X1 and the CX-5. Their combined mpg figures were 40.4 (Kia), 39.2 (Ix35), 56.5 (X1) and 53.3 (CX-5). I ruled out the BMW because its seating position wasn't high enough, and also it was at least 6K more for the same spec. So on the basis of the official mpg figures the Maxda wins by a mile! I certainly don't expect anything like 53.3 mpg in real life. For comparison, my current car, a Golf Plus 1.6 Blumotion DSG (twin clutch auto) bought from new Jan 11 has given me 51 mpg - calculated from the actual fuel put in over 12 months (11k miles) use. The Golf official combined mpg is 64.2. Consequently, I'm expecting around 40 mpg from the CX-5, anything more is a bonus.

Incidentally, for those interested the Golf Plus is an excellent car . . . except for the DSG! Whilst a very smooth transmission (7 speed) on the move, and doubtless very efficient, its erratic behaviour at low speed on inclines, and the delay when taking off from rest finally got to me, and hence the change. For this reason I'd ruled out all those cars with twin clutch semi automatic transmissions (i.e. all the VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi, Ford/Volvo, and many others). I did try the new Mercedes B-Class and was assured by the salesman that the problem (delay at take off) didn't apply to their twin clutch diesel - yes, it did! My shortlist only includes what might be described as 'traditional' automatic gearboxes, those with torque converters, albeit having much improved efficiencies.

So, I'm optimistic and hopeful that my CX-5 will meet my expectations, if not, my research was wrong!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry - your hope for 40mpg is realistic, I average about that in my 175 sport auto, although it varies considerably with driving style and route profile. Oil level issues are overdone (IMO), mine crept up too, they've taken some action, the car's under warranty blah blah blah ;). All cars have rattles/squeaks/creaks - admittedly some far worse than others. TomTom works fine for me, it did have a period where it wouldn't connect to the mobile network for a while but TT/vodafone must have sorted something out, it burst into life again in January.

My biggest complaint is still lack of DAB, so overall I'm still happy after a full year of ownership :)

I wouldn't worry - your hope for 40mpg is realistic, I average about that in my 175 sport auto, although it varies considerably with driving style and route profile. Oil level issues are overdone (IMO), mine crept up too, they've taken some action, the car's under warranty blah blah blah ;). All cars have rattles/squeaks/creaks - admittedly some far worse than others. TomTom works fine for me, it did have a period where it wouldn't connect to the mobile network for a while but TT/vodafone must have sorted something out, it burst into life again in January.

My biggest complaint is still lack of DAB, so overall I'm still happy after a full year of ownership :)

100% agree. Love my Sport-Nav 175ps manual AWD! Fuel economy is great, running around 47mpg consistently now and couldn't be happier.

5000 miles and 5 mothers later and the car is great. One buzz by sunglasses holder when temps are low. It's a super car. Not enough storage cubby holes though. I'm getting 45+ wherever I drive.

Back