How long is a clutch to last

Chatguy86

:
03 6s
Mazda 6s 30,000 miles
I have had my Mazda for about seven months. Recenty (last week) my clutch started slipping, Monday dealer said ok no prob bring it by on friday. My car made it to Wedsday. In a matter of a few blocks my clutch went from taking off at 2000rpm to 5500rpm. My problem is Mazda's factory rep told me it is awear and tear part costing me 1700$.... Bs bs. I drive a truck for a living and my work truck has over 150k on it with the same clutch.also this is not the first clutch I have owned. I have noticed other people complaining of clutch problems and want to know what other people have experienced or think. I have talked to the government agency that regulates automotive parts and service he said he was "appalled".. but what is he going to do?

Thomas Dean
tdean18@msn.com
sf California

Last edited:
1700$ FOR A CLUTCH (shocked) Tell that dealer (fu) and go somewhere else, it shouldnt cost you more than 700-800 bux installed taxes included. How stupid do these dealers think we are?

Last edited:
Call Mazdausa. Many members have had their clutches replaced under warranty even at 35k+ miles. If you don't fight though, the dealers will rip you off.

yea but crossbow, isnt there a amount of time limit from the date of purchase that the clutch will remain under warranty, and isnt 1700$ for a clutch a big amount of bull s***.

Technically wear items are covered only for the first 12k miles. However due to some complaints with clutch shutter and such, some dealers can and have replaced clutches as last as 35,000 miles (on the odo) without cost to the customer.

Thats why I encourage a call to mazdausa. It can't hurt, all they can say is no, but they could get the dealer to drop the parts cost (maybe only pay labor) etc.

The transmission on the 6 is a b**** to drop. Standard mitchell labor rate is 7.5 to 8.0 hours. Most dealers charge around 90 bucks for out of warranty...parts will cost 500-700.

If it's anything like my SVT Contour (practically the same drivetrain), it requires dropping the entire subframe, then removing the tranmission case. 8-10 hours is pretty accurate. $1700 is high though, My Ford dealer quoted me at $1000. Parts should be more like 3-400. Cheaper if you go aftermarket.

Cept if your going aftermarket...you might as well bank out for some decent stuff...light a lighter flywheel, stage 1 clutch, etc :). I think those two items alone are around 600 USD...probably due to lack of demand and competition.

And ya Jay, I think its pretty much identical to what has to be done with the contour. Its pretty damn nasty to do.

crossbow said:
Cept if your going aftermarket...you might as well bank out for some decent stuff...light a lighter flywheel, stage 1 clutch, etc :). I think those two items alone are around 600 USD...probably due to lack of demand and competition.

And ya Jay, I think its pretty much identical to what has to be done with the contour. Its pretty damn nasty to do.

Yeah, if you are going to be in there anyway (and you have to pay for it), you might as well get it all done. Flywheel, LSD, Stage 1 or 2 clutch kit. My disc is fine, it's my pressure plate bolts that are bad, but I'm still guttin the whole thing. I never want to have to pay that labor bill again.

Too bad there isn't a LSD yet for the 6s. One company started working on one, till everyone found out it was the cheap kind. Another ones looking at getting a quaife setup. The 6 is one car that really needs an lsd :). Just with slight mods your already pushing 200 whp...FWD just doesn't work well under those conditions.

Does the 6 use the MTX-75 transmission on the V6? Doesn't seem like Ford would bother to develop an entirely new transmission when they have one that allready mates to that engine, as well as the 4cyl.

If so, i bet the Contour/Cougar/Focus Quaife could be made to fit.

Maybe your clutch plate isnt bad at all, maybe its an issue with the spring or clutch fork holding pressure against the disk and flywheel. That happened in my old CRX. Just an idea.

crossbow said:
Transmission code is...A65M-R

That match up to the contours?

Hmm, No, Contour/Cougar/Focus/ and pretty sure Mazda 3, all use the MTX-75. Unless it's been renamed.

That's odd that Quaife has not jumped into the ring on this. They are usually pretty quick.

Back