How do you get 30mpg or better with the MZR DISI?

Just finished a day-trip. Avg. speed: 73.8 mph. Max speed: 100 mph. All interstate except about ten miles. MPG: 25.0

Just finished a day-trip. Avg. speed: 73.8 mph. Max speed: 100 mph. All interstate except about ten miles. MPG: 25.0
The reason you only get 25 is because you use boost to get to 100, the people who get 32mpg have better throttle control and can get to 140mph without getting into boost

the only time i got 30+ MPG was on a trip where the main highway was 55mph speed limit so i didn't do over 65. ANytime your cruising at 70+ your not gonna get 30MPG.. 25-28 on best is what i've gotten cruising above 70

I can't get much over 30 at any point right now, and I know I won't average 30 until the weather warms back up. I'm telling you all it's possible. I wish I had taken a photo of the average MPG's I had as I was driving home for the 1st time the morning I took ownership of the car. I've noticed it takes a while for that number to jump up. Like - A week or two. The person I bought my car from did mostly highway driving. The average must be over some crazy amount of time.

Idk if you want to stick with a stock setup or not but if you add a few bolt-ons, especially an intake, you get a pretty good mpg increase. The OEM intake/exhaut is super restrictive and by getting rid of those nasty parts you can let the turbo breathe much more efficiently. I'm currently running a full intake/turbo-back exhaust setup and a cobb tune (stage 2 +sf). According to the access port (which may not provide the most accurate reading) my average long term mpg is at 30.9. As alot of people mentioned above, the mpg also depends on your driving style. I typically drive like a granny, especially on longer trips which I've seen the mpg peak at abut 35.5. Anyways thats my .02
Peace

I can't get much over 30 at any point right now, and I know I won't average 30 until the weather warms back up. I'm telling you all it's possible. I wish I had taken a photo of the average MPG's I had as I was driving home for the 1st time the morning I took ownership of the car. I've noticed it takes a while for that number to jump up. Like - A week or two. The person I bought my car from did mostly highway driving. The average must be over some crazy amount of time.
AHHHhh, MPG is equal to miles driven/gallons pumped....

an arithmetic problem, not a "readout" on the dash

I've heard there's a different program written for vehicles not in the U.S. because of the sulfur content of U.S. gasoline. i.e. - Non-US vehicles can run leaner. I read than in a article.

The reason you only get 25 is because you use boost to get to 100, the people who get 32mpg have better throttle control and can get to 140mph without getting into boost
Of course I used boost. Some left-lane bandit in a POS Chevy pickup was trying to close a door on me. As for 32 mpg - not likely at over 60 mph. 140 mph and no boost sounds unlikely as well.

AHHHhh, MPG is equal to miles driven/gallons pumped....

an arithmetic problem, not a "readout" on the dash
The computer has been proven to be pretty optimistic. Mine is off as much as 14%. As you say, there is only one way to compute mileage: fill it absolutely full, drive it, fill it full again and do the math.

Last edited:
Best I've ever done was 29mpg which was using cruise control at 70mph the whole time. The thing you need to be careful with when using cruise control is going up hills. When the CC sees additional load being put on the engine and the speed reducing, it does whatever it can to get the wheel speed to where you've set the cruise control. This can cause the turbo to go into boost which kills your MPG figures.

I've found it's best to use CC when the highway is relatively flat. When I see a hill coming up, I disengage the CC and modulate the throttle with my foot.

Also, if you're running the stock ECU map, fill up with 91 octane if you can find it. I've found that running 93 octane, while it helps with knock, does not produce better mpg figures than 91 octane which is what Mazda recommends for the Speed 3.

Hope this helps!

I'm impressed with those numbers, I get on avg about about low 20s, where I am. Elevation plays a big factor I found as well the as the type of driving you do. I'm living in a small city where is takes 15 mins tops to get from end to end lol. So not much interstate or freeway driving for me. But once I hit the highway the car will get about 25-28mpg. Then once I got closer to the coast and out of the mountains I could easily get 30mpg+ . Missed that and cheaper gas prices haha.

Weather conditions
Roads
Temps
Tire pressure
Weight
Oil changes on time

All play a factor in getting better MPG! Best i've seen in the MS6, is around 26-28mpg all highway miles

Back