How do I disable (turn OFF) the alarm on 2021 CX-5? Lock only but NO alarm?

Hi all,

First posting for me, though I've been searching and reading other threads; great forum.

My question; new CX-5 member. I have a 2021 and want to DISABLE the alarm but still lock the car (already saw how to turn off the beep when I press lock on the remote). How? Still want the car to lock, but how do I disable the alarm system? I read something in the manual, but the explanation was quite confusing as it referenced "any window car request button?" Thank you.

No alarm? Interesting. That could explain why I cant find it!!! But in the manual it talks about "Disarming an Armed Alarm system" I have a CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve. No alarm on it? (Not a big deal as I want to turn it off). I thought Alarms are standard on most cars. So if someone breaks into a CX-5, it doesn't dtat blaring horns and so on?

Upvote 0
There is an alarm according to the US manual...a theft deterrent system...typical engine immobilizer...flashing headlights...horn sounding...which can be turned off by the remote.

Security System

If the theft-deterrent system detects an inappropriate entry into the vehicle, which could result in the vehicle or its contents being stolen, the alarm alerts the surrounding area of an abnormality by sounding the horn and flashing the hazard warning lights.

The system will not function unless it's properly armed. So when you leave the vehicle, follow the arming procedure correctly.

Upvote 0
There is an alarm according to the US manual...a theft deterrent system...typical engine immobilizer...flashing headlights...horn sounding...which can be turned off by the remote.

Security System

If the theft-deterrent system detects an inappropriate entry into the vehicle, which could result in the vehicle or its contents being stolen, the alarm alerts the surrounding area of an abnormality by sounding the horn and flashing
the hazard warning lights.
The system will not function unless it's properly armed. So when you leave the vehicle, follow the arming procedure correctly.

I don’t meant turning it off remote once it is blaring and horn is going off. I mean DISABLING the alarm entirely. The manual talks about how to do it but I can’t figure it out.
Anyone?

Upvote 0
That is a good question! I did not pick up on the real ask. Let us know when you find out.

As far as I can tell there are two systems,
1. the engine immobilizer, which always works in concert with the electronic key and
2. the theft deterrent system, which is the horn, headlight and flashers and is usually always armed upon locking up the car. I do not see how you can turn that theft deterrent function off, only how to turn it off once it is activated. In fact, I never knew that turning off the theft deterrent was an option in any car!

Upvote 0

Security System

If the theft-deterrent system detects an inappropriate entry into the vehicle, which could result in the vehicle or its contents being stolen, the alarm alerts the surrounding area of an abnormality by sounding the horn and flashing the hazard warning lights.

Is this new for '21?

Upvote 0
There is another thread with a lengthy discussion on the matter, probably predating the 2021 model release. The 2020 manual also describes a theft deterrent system "if so equipped" but no one could identify it as present in their vehicles across trims, at least in the US. I believe Canadian participants agreed.

The 2020 manual is global. I imagine 2021 is the same. For example, you'll find references to European-specific features in the 2020 version. Which markets might have this system is a mystery to me, but evidently not in the US and Canada.

There's a simple way to test if you have it, as theft deterrent is commonly understood. Roll down the driver window, lock the doors, move the key fob out of range, then reach through the window and open the door. A theft deterrent system would sound an alarm. Or just look at the window sticker if you still have it. It would stand to reason it would be noted if the car was so equipped.

Unlike you, some folks have been disappointed that their vehicle does not have this system. As a consolation, it was observed that the front side windows are two or three ply laminated or some such, perhaps for noise deadening, I can't recall the details. That type of window would make a smash and dash somewhat difficult if the object was to steal the car.

The rear windows evidently are not so robust. If one parks where smash thefts are a concern I would not leave anything of value in the back seat. Even so, it's a deterrence not a prevention device. A smash and dasher might not care if an alarm goes off, so not leaving things of value in plain sight in the back seat is generally good practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Yes for 2021, but I can’t understand the manual.
I did a quick check of the 2021 digital manual available at the Mazda USA web site. It still looks like a global manual. For example, enter "Europe" in the search field and you'll get Europe-specific references. 2021 may be the same as 2020--theft deterrence not available in all locations. Again, try the test in my previous post or just check the sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
In reading through the specs on the Mazda USA website. They list: Engine-immobilizer anti-theft system, but say nothing about a security system.

Upvote 0
Certainly no alarm on my 2014 and 2019. Easiest way to check is to lock the car with the window down. Move the keys out of range and come back to the car, reach through the window and open the door.

Upvote 0
If I recall lack of interior sensor is lack of alarm system. It’s in the headliner between the front dome/map lights. All Eu models have it.

As far as I know no US gen2 model has alarm up to 2020 included. No clue for 2021 though.

Upvote 0
Back