How difficult is it to update maps?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
For those that do their own map updates - is it relatively easy. I know you have to install the Mazda toolkit but after that is it just plug the SD card in and
tell it to do a map update.
Any advise appreciated.

some related reading:

tldr; on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is replacing the cabin air filter, and 10 is replacing the entire engine - I'd say this is a solid 3.5.

It's not difficult, but it is time consuming.
You're right about the process: download the Mazda tool kit program and insert your SD card.
It will read it and tell you whether you need the update or not.
It will also tell you when your three years are up.
I found that on several occasions, it quit half way through, and I had to start over again.
The last time I did it in January, it took several hours to complete the download.
I'm assuming it's slow because of something at Mazda's end, and not my computer.

It's not difficult, but it is time consuming.
You're right about the process: download the Mazda tool kit program and insert your SD card.
It will read it and tell you whether you need the update or not.
It will also tell you when your three years are up.
I found that on several occasions, it quit half way through, and I had to start over again.
The last time I did it in January, it took several hours to complete the download.
I'm assuming it's slow because of something at Mazda's end, and not my computer.
How does it know when the 3 yrs is up? Wonder if it goes by VIN. I have nav in my 2019 but I just bought an SD card for my 2016. I want to try and update the maps on that one. How would Mazda know that the 2019 sd card didnt fail or got lost and I replaced it. Wonder if it's just 3 yrs from the last vehicle purchased.

How does it know when the 3 yrs is up? Wonder if it goes by VIN. I have nav in my 2019 but I just bought an SD card for my 2016. I want to try and update the maps on that one. How would Mazda know that the 2019 sd card didnt fail or got lost and I replaced it. Wonder if it's just 3 yrs from the last vehicle purchased.
This is a bit of a guess but I think the first time that you put the nav card in a vehicle then it becomes associated with that vehicle and the 3 yr clock starts ticking.

This is a bit of a guess but I think the first time that you put the nav card in a vehicle then it becomes associated with that vehicle and the 3 yr clock starts ticking.

Date of purchase starts the clock. VIN is stored on SD card to lock it to that vehicle only after driving 60(?) miles with card inserted. IIRC!

map updates are free for 3 years after vehicle reaches 63 miles with sdcard inserted.

Hi, Not sure if it has been covered but if you are having problems updating maps, make sure you have the correct card reader, it is SDHC from what I recall (suitable one on ebay for about £2)

Back