How difficult is it to replace EGR valve?

jcolman

:
2007 MS3
My Mazda shop wants about $650 to replace it.

Is there a cheaper aftermarket valve that will work? Also, is replacing this valve something that a backyard mechanic can do?

there are several on eBay, part is expensive but 650 seems VERY steep....thus the labor is not going to be cheap thats for sure...but definately with patience it's DYI

its easy. BUT you should clean it first and check the continunity of the valve before replacement, if you haven't already. I know someone here has a link to the service manual for this procedure.....

I just got mine replaced under warranty, just sneaked it in at 33,000 miles. Otherwise would have been about $650 including labor. There is a DYI on the internet on how to remove and clean it, just search 'how to clean mazdaspeed 3 egr' . It has pictures and everything. Looks like a 2 hour job, but you might want to use oven cleaner as opposed to brake cleaner, seems to do a more thorough job if you read all the comments near the end.

Thanks Jabba i will try that search on the How to remove the EGR valve and see what comes up.

That's a Rip off! Those guys are ripping you off ! I just finished replacing my EGR Valve on my 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and it was the biggest pain in the neck you could ever imagine. Its really hard to get to because when you put the 3/8 Rachet on thter the Ratchet hits the Motor Mount and you cant put it on straight so i just used a 1/4 Ratchet and a 12mm socket and that did the trick

That's a Rip off! Those guys are ripping you off ! I just finished replacing my EGR Valve on my 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and it was the biggest pain in the neck you could ever imagine. Its really hard to get to because when you put the 3/8 Rachet on thter the Ratchet hits the Motor Mount and you cant put it on straight so i just used a 1/4 Ratchet and a 12mm socket and that did the trick
well, that was pertinent

You can order the part for less. I don't remember now where I got mine but it was about half that. Biggest pain in the procedure as far as I was concerned is the fact that the radiator has no drain valve. You have to put a bucket underneath where the lower hose connects and take out enough to allow you to pull the valve without making a mess. With a decent tool set you'll have no trouble doing this job.

I had the same problem, engine light came on last year about this time. took it in and said it was a bad egr valve and needed to be replaced, wanted about what they're asking from you. I was literally like 30 miles past warrenty. But they called mazda HQ or w/e and they replaced it for free as a "one time gift" or some bs they called it. But it appears to be a very common problem with this car, next time I get it, I'll look into cleaning it/replaceing it myself.

Back