Horn Replacement

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Does anyone know what is required to get to the stock horn(s) on the CX-9? What needs to be removed to access them?

lol never thought about it =)

I guess it is as simple as pressing the horn a few times and following the sounds, but I just wanted to save my neighbors the noise. Figured someone would just know already and advise.

Must get a better set of horns...

the stock horn sounds good to me but yeah it would be nice to replace them with a ferrari horn =)

That's why they print Service Manuals...........

You're still at it with your comments, huh?

Ok... let's put a positive spin on your comment... If there is someone with a Service Manual, I would appreciate it if you would look up the location of the horns? Thanks.

This is the only info I found in the Workshop Manual...
Horn.jpg

Zoom Five - did you ever find how to replace your horn? Would love some info on that. I have a 07 CX9 with no horn sound. i press the steering wheel and hear the relay clicking but no noise. how tough was/is it to replace the horn or to access that area? I can't even FIND the horns!!?

@mcskife, if they didn't change anything from gen 1 to the refreshed 2013 model (I have a 2014) then getting to the horns is really easy. Underneath the front of the car below the fog lights are 3 screws and two plastic trim clips. Remove those on each side and you can look up behind the bumper. Right there mounted to the frame (on each side, driver and passenger) are the horns.

If you can't find the screws I'm talking about, I can post an image from the owner's manual.

voldsom, can you please post a pic of what you're talking about? I tried lowering my phone down into the engine bay to try and capture a video or pic of the area but i couldn't figure it out. based on what i've read here and in other forums, it seems like an easy enough job to replace the horns - something that i think i could do myself. i'd rather try than get hit with an $85/hr shop charge for a crazy amount of hours!!

BTW, i don't have fog lights - but you're telling me to check out the area underneath where the fogs would be, right? I'd certainly appreciate any input and thanks!

It's hard to get a picture zoomed out enough the way the car is sitting now, but the owners manual has a good diagram of the screws/clips required for removal. Granted, this is for the newer 2013+, but from other threads we've learned that nothing changed behind the front bumper, so this access panel should be there regardless of if you have the fog lights or not:

foglights_hornaccess_zpsb63c95d1.jpg

I really want to find a horn from a CX9 to put on my bike. Maybe a trip to the junk yard is in order Monday. The only thing I am worried about is the size. It can't be too large since it is going on the bike...

I really want to find a horn from a CX9 to put on my bike. Maybe a trip to the junk yard is in order Monday. The only thing I am worried about is the size. It can't be too large since it is going on the bike...

One question, is the horn on the driver or passenger side?

One question, is the horn on the driver or passenger side?

There's two, one on each side.

Back