Hi..Please Help.. Knocking sound at higher rpm (I am a newbie)

s00thing

:
mazda protege 2001 1.6 ltr
Hello.. everyone. I don't know where to start but.. I think damage may have done on the car already but I want to get some opinions from you.

I bought a 2001 protege lx 1.6 ltr. 150k I bought it from lady that never took cared any parts on this car. I did fresh oil change, flush and change again. tranny service once, fresh plugs, seafoamed...etc.. Now Check engine light is off. Still oil pressure light is ON. When I bought the car it was ON and then as soon as I finishsed the oil change (10w30) the light went away.. and then after five minutes it came back ON. While I was at the parts store.. I was happened to meet master tech and trying to find out what is knocking sound is coming from and it was rod bearing knock. (shocked)(nailbyt)(nailbyt) So he said damage may have already done and he recommended to change the oil with motor honey and 20w50 to reduce sound of knocking because its thicker and heavier oil. Oil pressure light is Still on Knocking sound is coming on higher rpm than idle. I went to Autozone and the manager says it maybe oil pump that is not working and recommend to test compression and then try to replace oil pump. so I did the compression test and it came out Good on all of 4 cylinders. I just dont know whether to pay more labor to replace the oil pump or just sell it as is. I hate to let it go.. but what would you do??? Any ideas or comments? I would really appreciate your thoughts and your opinions..

Thank you.

Last edited:
How many miles have you driven since the knocking started? If you can't check it, yourself, have someone check your oil pressure. If the pump is bad, that would explain the knocking and oil pressure light. If it is the oil pump, find out what the cost would be to replace it. Whether you'd be better off selling the car would depend on that amount and the overall condition of your car. If the repair costs more than half of the car's value, it's time to get rid of the car.

I probably drove less than 20 miles. I will find out the oil pressure right away from a shop. if its the oil pressure... Do I have hope for this knocking sound to go away?!(wow) Cost of the oil pump is around 110 dollars. labor around 130. if this will help the knocking sound... Thank you(bowdown) so much!!!! I will let you know whether oil pressure is bad or not and then. if its bad then oil pump will be replaced. And then I will definitely let you know...

If you have the required 3.1 quarts in the engine (required for the 1.6)...and your oil light is on...your oil pump is probably the culprit (unless there is a blockage in one of the oil passages, that will cause it too...but that doesn't happen as often as an oil pump)

the 1.6 can take a crap ton of abuse....replace the oil pump and see about getting the knock serviced...it's not as extreme as you may think it could be..

Thank you.... I looking forward to test the oil pressure. And then order the oil pump online.. do you know any good online store? maybe at good discount?! Thanks a bunch!!!!(cool)

www.rockauto.com

That place has some of the best parts at the best prices. I paid $75 for two front struts on there once... $13 for an outer tie rod for my old protege and some odds and ends for all my cars. cheapest around to be honest. Rockauto tends to ship their stuff super fast as well even when you use the economy shipping.

Back