HELP shift bushing install

Minishotglass

:
03.5 mp5 5spd
Did a quick search or the forum but found no answers to my problem. I got the car jacked up right now and when I proceeded to install the kartboy bushings I got enough leverage to turn the nut holding the outer washer but then I realized that the entire stud was turning and that I was loosening the stud from the transmission instead.

help.JPG

What the hell am I supposed to do? I cant grip the damn stud. Can I please get some answers before it gets dark? haha

I did mine back in March, and I think the same thing happened to me (though don't quote me :) ). IIRC, I just ended up taking out the entire stud because the nut was stuck on.

I can't remember, is there a nut or something on the other end to hold onto with one wrench while working on this one??

nope no nut.....it's just a stud all the way into the transmission. It seems like the damn nut is welded to the stud. Anyways you said you took the ENTIRE stud out of the tranmission and installed the bushing from the other side? Maybe I should do this instead but I just wanted to make sure it was safe and I want to know the torque specs when I tighten the nut back.

Maybe someone else can chime in from more recent experience, but I believe that's what we did... Obviously, it's threaded at the other end and not welded in or it wouldn't be turning. Just simply screw it back in there, rather than screwing the nut back onto the stud.

Actually, now that I'm thinking more about this, I'm certain this is what we did. There's a metal tube that runs through the center of the stock rubber bushings that you need to remove in order to take them out. Maybe it was due to the 3 Canadian winters that the car went through prior to doing this, but the bushings were stuck good. We ended up putting the stud back in (just a little) and used it as a punch to get the bushings out. Hope this helps!

alright thanks, I'm gonna go ahead and just remove the entire stud from the transmission and ty to get the damn thing installed

anybody else have comments please do post!

When I installed mine, the nut seemed welded on the stud as well. The stud is threaded on both ends...one end threads into the transmission and the other is threaded for the nut. I ended up removing the stud from the transmission, pulling it out of the bushing assembly, reassembling it with the KB bushings and then rethreading it into the transmission. I then slipped my torque wrench onto the nut and torqued to specs.

Anyway, I was concerned I ****** something up, so I contacted Tom at Kartboy (designer of all Kartboy parts). He said that removing the stud instead of the nut is alright and wouldn't damage the transmission or linkage in any way (thumb). Hope that helps.

I ended up having to take out the entire stud from the tranny since the nut wouldnt turn.

- remove stud / nut
- remove metal sleeve in bushing
- pry busing out using screw driver

i did a customers car that was all nasty underneath( shame on him) the nut was frozen on the stud. it all came out as one unit. no problems what so ever. just put a dab of locktite to make sure it wont back off.

Tom

Re-tighten the stud into the tranny, and try an impact. Those generaly work.

Yeah I just backed the stud all the way out and used lock tite like tom had mentioned in the previous post.

Back