Help! Oil on a spark plug when I did a tune-up???

im just going to say its kinda hard to figure out what the issue is from 1 picture from 1 tune up over the internet. changing the valve cover gasket def wouldnt be a bad thing.

A Valve seal could do that too but not to the amount that you are talking about..

Brian, when my valve seals were bad. It would cuase a huge cloud on start up and normalize after about 5 minutes of idling.

Is this another symptom?

Me thinks it is hard to get oil to form inside a combustion chanmber of an operating car. it would burn off.

What could have also happened is the oil was on top, until you removed the plug, then drained all over the plug as it was removed..

^^^This........also change your spark plugs to the long reach or regular NGK ones, those multi tip platinum ones are just a waste of money

Me thinks it is hard to get oil to form inside a combustion chanmber of an operating car. it would burn off.

What could have also happened is the oil was on top, until you removed the plug, then drained all over the plug as it was removed..

This. You'd have a serious problem if there were so much oil coming from the rings ro valve seals to the point that it would soak the electrode and the spark plug threads when the car is running. You'd burn like a gallon of oil per week. As you unscrew the plugs, oil that has dripped down from the valve cover is being spread on the threads. Because there is clearance, it is feasible to have oil in the hole around the base of the plug where the threads start but not on the wire.

Clean the plugs and the hole thoroughly, go out for a drive, and then pull the plugs again. If you have a piston ring or valve seal issue it'll show up right away; ie the oil would be back. If it's a valve cover issue, you probably won't see anything at all until the oil has had a few days/weeks to build up.

I am still having this problem even after replacing the valve cover gasket. It's not as bad now, but I would get oil all over the threads and electrode. It takes a while for it to build up to that point. I don't know what the deal is, but it's pretty annoying to see that much oil leaking. I torqued all the bolts to spec.

Last edited:
Did you get the valve cover gasket with the spark plug part? If not get one if you did take some gasket maker and go around where the spark plugs sit you do need to make sure you get the curves where it goes over the cams it will leak from there if you dont

Did you get the valve cover gasket with the spark plug part? If not get one if you did take some gasket maker and go around where the spark plugs sit you do need to make sure you get the curves where it goes over the cams it will leak from there if you dont

Would you do that just to try and get a better seal?

The only thing the shop manual recommends is a dab of gasket sealant in two corners close to the cams (look it up in the sticky). Putting it anywhere else is not necessary and will not cause the seal to be any better.

I actually had the same issue 2 months ago where I was doing a tune up and one of the plugs had oil all over it, came out to be my piston rings but my car was smoking almost all the time. Me and my bro took my motor apart, built the block, had the head re done and now putting motor back together. Will be finished next week but I would suggest on doing the compression test. It will be expensive to take the motor apart and do everything unless you do it yourself like I did...Good luck

So I'm thinking about painting my valve cover when I get it off to change the gasket…what do I need to do to prep it an what kind of products should I use. Also…color ideas??? My car is red…stock everything (unfortunately)

Hey guys, so I have been watching the oil level and pulling the "crazy" plug every once in a while…and it hasn't happened since my tune up! No oil on the plug, and the oil level has stayed at "full" on the dipstick, and haven't seen any smoke from the tailpipe. So I don't know…I'll keep my eye on it, and might do the valve cover gasket anyways, since I want to clean it and coat it. Thanks for all the help!

Might be worth mentioning that you should put a little "Anti-seize" on the spark plug threads when installing them.

Latest posts

Back