hello from the PNW with a 2014 CX-5

polarbill1999

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
I just wanted to pop in and say hi. My fiance just bought a 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD a couple days ago. We are really excited to have the new car and hope it can be a reliable, fun and good family car for years to come. I know my fiance is extra excited is this is the first time she has ever bought a car she wanted instead of what she could afford. I am not sure if the car has any options other than the roof rails and even those may be standard in this trim. We opted not to get AWD as I don't think the intial investment, slight loss of MPG and potential mechanical problems/maintenance was worth the 1 or 2 days of snow we actually get here a year. Ironically it hailed like crazy today in Seattle. We weren't really planning on buying a new car right away but while on a transmission service for her 2008 3 she test drove one and fell in love. We did really need an SUV for her as I have a dog and as it was only had one vehicle to haul the mutt around.

Hopefully I am able to use this forum as a place to find tips on improving and maintaining this vehicle. I probably won't go to the dealer for anything outside of warranty work and hopefully that doesn't happen much. My family owns an automotive warehouse(mostly geared towards heavy duty/industrial) in Seattle so will hopefully be able to get most if not all normal maintenance parts for wholesale. Is there anything outside of the normal maintenance schedule that I should look at or service? I am really hoping there isn't much outside of filters, fluids, belts and tires for the first 100k. Seeing how this thing has a timing chain hopefully just a the previous and a small tuneup in the first 150-200k. That should be a long time out though if she follows a similar mileage pattern to what she had with her 2008 mazda3 which only had 48k on it when she traded it in.

A couple questions:

Her 3 called for a transmission flush at 30k although I don't think I saw anything in the service book for transmission service on the CX-5. What is recommended and/or what should we do with that? 30k? 50k? etc?? Keep in mind that I am not big on following factory/dealer advice. I would rather follow a good independent mechanics advice.

We are going to need to find a trailer hitch for our bicycle rack. Any suggestions? I would really like to find something that doesn't hang below the rear valance/cover thing although obviously that would require some cutting or an aftermarket valance.

Here is a pic of the rig.

cx-5.jpg

The auto transmission is permanent factory fill. Dealer instruction are not to drain/flush unless it is broken, the implication is flushing can screw it up. The type of fluid used is unique so if you have a leak and need to add some be sure to use the designated type. I think the driveline warranty is good for 60,000 miles.

There are several threads on hitches, curt seems to be the most widely used.

I did some research on the hitch too, and finally bought a Curt 2" hitch from AutoAnything.com. for $140. They do offer free shipping to all states except Hawaii and Alaska. I haven't received it yet because I had it shipped (free) to a friend's residence in Indiana, then he boat mailed it to me in Hawaii. There's also a video on youtube showing the installation of a Curt hitch onto a 2013 CX-5. Check that video out so you can see the "hanging" of the hitch at the end of the installation. Not too bad at all.

Back