heating/air issue cx5

Wrinkles

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
Hello; new to forum and to Mazda. Bought my 2015 Touring in August and love it. However, have noticed that every time the air system is anything other than defrost, the windows fog over. Today, for example, was 28degrees and clear on way to work. Turned on heat at feet and head. W/in 5 minutes, the windows were fogged. Turned on defrost and cleared right up but was cold again. Does the same thing when it's warm outside & running just the vent instead of A/C. Have been in a Ford for the last years so maybe am just not familiar w/ how this system works.
Any guidance on how I can stay comfortable and still see to drive? Or is this a defect that I need to have checked out?
Thanks!

While you have it on heat at feet and head, make sure to turn the A/C on.

Hello; new to forum and to Mazda. Bought my 2015 Touring in August and love it. However, have noticed that every time the air system is anything other than defrost, the windows fog over. Today, for example, was 28degrees and clear on way to work. Turned on heat at feet and head. W/in 5 minutes, the windows were fogged. Turned on defrost and cleared right up but was cold again. Does the same thing when it's warm outside & running just the vent instead of A/C. Have been in a Ford for the last years so maybe am just not familiar w/ how this system works.
Any guidance on how I can stay comfortable and still see to drive? Or is this a defect that I need to have checked out?
Thanks!

I'm having the same problem in my 2016. I run it on head/feet until the cabin warms up then switch it over to feet/defrost. I don't want to run the A/c when it's 20 deg outside.

I have a 2015 Sport and do not have this happen. I wonder if there is some trapped water due to a clogged drain in your vent system.

When you are in DEFROST mode, it AUTOMATICALLY turns the A/C on, to dry the air and unfog the windows.

If you are in FACE vent, you have to turn the A/C on manually to unfog. Keep the temp on the HEAT side...

Make sure recycled air setting is OFF.

this. And make sure it stays off.
My CX-5 loves to turn on recycled air without me realizing it. Whenever I turn the temperature dial all the way cold, both the AC and recycle comes on. I'll turn off the AC, but I often forget to turn off recycle and driving with recycle on too long causes moisture to build up.

My CX-5 loves to turn on recycled air without me realizing it. Whenever I turn the temperature dial all the way cold, both the AC and recycle comes on.

Whenever you turn the temperature selector all the way to the cold end (labeled "Max Cold") it activates the recirculate air feature. This feature is triggered electrically (not cable operated).

The solution (if you don't want recirculate) is to never turn it 100% to "Max Cold" because the air conditioner is already on full blast before you reach "Max Cold". It's just a convenience feature so you don't have to turn the knob AND look for the recirculate switch.

Fyi, turning on ac when the heat is on will not make it cold. Ac removes moisture from the air, thus helping to prevent window fogging when heating the cabin

Whenever you turn the temperature selector all the way to the cold end (labeled "Max Cold") it activates the recirculate air feature. This feature is triggered electrically (not cable operated).

The solution (if you don't want recirculate) is to never turn it 100% to "Max Cold" because the air conditioner is already on full blast before you reach "Max Cold". It's just a convenience feature so you don't have to turn the knob AND look for the recirculate switch.

It's obviously not a big deal, but IMO, it's more of a pain in the ass feature than convenience.
Usually I turn the HVAC knob without looking and 90% of the time when I turn the knob to "cold" I don't want either AC or recirculate.
If I do accidentally turn it to "max cold" I need to look for the AC switch and the recirculate switch to get things back where I want them.

Ideally, the recirculate light should really be a different color (amber vs green? like it was in my old protege 5). That way it would be obvious that the recirculate setting is on.

Ideally, the recirculate light should really be a different color (amber vs green? like it was in my old protege 5). That way it would be obvious that the recirculate setting is on.
+1
I put red tape over the light on the recirculate button and black electrical tape over the fresh air button so now I get a dim red light indicating when I'm in the recirc mode. That's all the info I need.

It's obviously not a big deal, but IMO, it's more of a pain in the ass feature than convenience.
Usually I turn the HVAC knob without looking and 90% of the time when I turn the knob to "cold" I don't want either AC or recirculate.
If I do accidentally turn it to "max cold" I need to look for the AC switch and the recirculate switch to get things back where I want them.

Most cars, I am aware of going into recirculate mode when MAX AC is selected.

Why are OP's windows fogging up under these conditions? As I said I don't have this happen in cold dry conditions.

Thanks for the many responses. I am still a little confused, but I will certainly try the suggestions: circulate vs no circulate, a/c w/ heat, etc. Hopefully I am just not running the system properly and that is the cause for the constant fog. That would answer mine and Martyd's questions as to why it does this in dry conditions.

It just depends on what the air in contact with the window is doing compared to what the ambient air temp/dewpoint. If the conditions are right for dew to form, it'll form.

I followed all advice and it worked both on way home and way in this morning! Still seems like a waste of energy and maybe gas to condition/heat outside air coming in, but what do I know?! Thank you all so much for your assistance. Saved me an embarrassing and costly trip to the dealer or mechanic.

Latest posts

Back