GT-R vs. BMW x3 comparison

giphy.gif

I did

There*s a 70$ workaround for that annual fee. [emoji2369]

Haha. I have no reason to own two similar crossovers. If I were gonna spend the money on a second car, it would be an impractical sports car for pure fun.

Yup. There really is no reason I'd advise anyone to buy the non-turbo CX5 unless they were looking t o buy a stripped down model for cheap, honestly. If you can't afford the Signature/ GT-R, over the Grand Touring, then you can't afford a new vehicle at the moment.

[emoji23] At the time the GT-premium was the top of the line. I looked inside the new Mazda3. Im going to wait for the updated CX5 interior before I consider anything seriously. Right now the change isnt great enough to trade in the GT.

[emoji23] At the time the GT-premium was the top of the line. I looked inside the new Mazda3. I*m going to wait for the updated CX5 interior before I consider anything seriously. Right now the change isn*t great enough to trade in the GT.

It's evolutionary. Always better model next year. Since you don't need a new vehicle today, I think it's sound to wait. If nothing else you can get one new old stock '19

I went from an E83 X3 to a CX-5 last month and I did cross shop the new X3 before doing so.
The new X3 is nice, there's no way around that, they do have this whole luxury thing down pretty well but it comes at quite the premium. When you look at value, the CX-5 wins hands down given the comfort and tech it has at the price.
Sure the Bimmer has a little more prestige and the M series is killer but is it worth all the extra money? Not IMHO.

the 4cyl. xdrive x3

I thought I addressed that. I have the low end X3. Its punchier than the CX-5 turbo.

As I state led before the differences in perspective are subjective. Im a bmw guy, so Ill probably always have one...unless they continue to serve up hideous EVs.

Torque vectoring? Lol! I dont know. It drives well and is adequately quick when I want it to.

ok, what DO they have?

Who really cares? You said it yourself, the BMW drives and feels "heavier". If you prefer the drive of the Mazda or the BMW, does it really matter what tech each car uses to achieve it? Let's say you prefer the handling of the CX-5. Then you find out that the X3 has tech that mimics torque vectoring. Would you now reconsider the CX-5, even though you preferred the handing of it during your test drives? If so, then you're really just buying into bragging rights and marketing.

At a certain point, drilling down into the weeds of terminology and tech becomes.. unnecessary. I think you've reached that point. IMO, buy whichever you feel most comfortable with and enjoy it.

Yup. There really is no reason I'd advise anyone to buy the non-turbo CX5 unless they were looking t o buy a stripped down model for cheap, honestly. If you can't afford the Signature/ GT-R, over the Grand Touring, then you can't afford a new vehicle at the moment.

Oh **** off. Some of us just have limits to what we are willing to spend on a new car. At this point, if I am interested in a turbo in the future, I'll look for a CPO GT-R. I'm not really willing to spend more than $30k on a car (talking OTD total with taxes and fees, etc.). That's not from a lack of ability.

Who really cares? You said it yourself, the BMW drives and feels "heavier". If you prefer the drive of the Mazda or the BMW, does it really matter what tech each car uses to achieve it? Let's say you prefer the handling of the CX-5. Then you find out that the X3 has tech that mimics torque vectoring. Would you now reconsider the CX-5, even though you preferred the handing of it during your test drives? If so, then you're really just buying into bragging rights and marketing.

At a certain point, drilling down into the weeds of terminology and tech becomes.. unnecessary. I think you've reached that point. IMO, buy whichever you feel most comfortable with and enjoy it.

Your 'analysis' assumes that someone can analyze handling behavior or 'feel' in a short drive on dry pavement with no bumps.

Additionally, some people like to know how things work.

Oh **** off. Some of us just have limits to what we are willing to spend on a new car. At this point, if I am interested in a turbo in the future, I'll look for a CPO GT-R. I'm not really willing to spend more than $30k on a car (talking OTD total with taxes and fees, etc.). That's not from a lack of ability.

I*ve told you once, and I*ve told you again, you*re a smart man! My ole girl is the same way...

This guy rolled negative equity into his GTR from 3 cars ago, and he wants to talk affordability...Lmao, you can*t make this stuff up around here...

Your 'analysis' assumes that someone can analyze handling behavior or 'feel' in a short drive on dry pavement with no bumps.

Additionally, some people like to know how things work.

All I personally needed was a short drive. I don't intend to off-road my CX-9, so I didn't bother with an off-road test. But I did take it on a 15 minute test drive around the block and on the highway. That was enough for me to decide whether or not this would be the right car for me (vs. other cars I test drove in the same manner).

If you need more time behind the wheel, take a longer test drive. Take multiple test drives. Take different routes on your test drives. There's nothing stopping you from doing any of that.

And I agree, people do like to know how things work. But again, if you prefer the drive of one car over the other, does it really matter what tech each car uses to achieve it? Knowing what the tech is will not change how each car performs. Additionally, if you wanted to learn what the X3 has, you could have just Google'd it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526189

Agree. For me I had a ceiling of $25,000 /- for a new car that too because the significant other wanted to have new.
If I were buying right now, used in the 15-18K range. It is shocking the number of options you get at that price range.
S80, Azera, MKZ Hybrid, Accord Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid, CT200h, ES300h, Fusion, Taurus - eco hybrids, V6, turbos you name it. All of these will run 200K miles happily with the exception of S80 which I haven't researched much. Even if I get 20% off a GT Mazda6, never going to have a chance against some of these cars in terms of value for money.

Whether its choice or ability, if $<100/mo will break your budget, maybe you should keep what youve got unless its become a liability.

Its not a flex, its common sense.

Back