GT-R vs. BMW x3 comparison

Has anyone compared the BMW x3 to the GT-3?

The X3 felt heavy to me, but very fast (this was the 4 cylinder with turbo - their low end model).

The BMW salesman claimed it was safer, and handled better - also shorter braking distances.

Ill cover the douchebaggery...

Theres no reason why I dont have two CX-5s in my garage. There are some intangibles that not even Mazda can replicate.

That being said, Mazda executes a few things better than my 18 X3.

Not knocking Mazda. I think the CX-5 is great.

Here is what get from short test drives in each, and specs.

BMW X3*- 8* gnd. clearance (better than CX-5)
- Turning circle 39.7 ft. (poor); Fuel tank capacity ~~17.2 gal.
- just a touch of lag when punching it for a pass from 40 or 45
- seat leg support tilts
- poor arm room on door; poor view to rear
- heavy; both feel & actual wt.
- lower reliability (Cons. Reports)
- much nicer leather (color)

I am not seeing much of a case to buy the BMW (and it seems a lot better than the VW, MB, or Volvo offerings)

Dang, the CX-5 slayed. That said BMW lists the X3 2.0T as a 6 second car https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-models/x3.html

This website claims that a 2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i does 0-60 in 6.3, with a 1/4 mi time of 14.9. The same website claims that a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature does 0-60 in 6.3 as well, with a 1/4 mi time of 14.8.

Like boandlkramer said, there are things the BMW has going for it besides the nameplate. It's up to you as the buyer to decide whether the price tag of either car is worth what you get. Also keep in mind that while the performance numbers are essentially the same, each car will execute quite differently. I read somewhere that one of the best ways to qualify the price of a BMW vs the competition is to put both cars on a lift and look at the undercarriage.

Test drive both for yourself, back-to-back.

Last edited:
This website claims that a 2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i does 0-60 in 6.3, with a 1/4 mi time of 14.9. The same website claims that a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature does 0-60 in 6.3 as well, with a 1/4 mi time of 14.8.

Like boandlkramer said, there are things the BMW has going for it besides the nameplate. It's up to you as the buyer to decide whether the price tag of either car is worth what you get. Also keep in mind that while the performance numbers are essentially the same, each car will execute quite differently. I read somewhere that one of the best ways to qualify the price of a BMW vs the competition is to put both cars on a lift and look at the undercarriage.

Test drive both for yourself, back-to-back.

Perhaps there was a change to the 2019 model. One important takaway from the head-to-head comparo article was Mazda had more dealerships than BMW. Perhaps BMW is sorta peaking behind its back on Mazda eating away from its entry model sales.

The CX-5 grew leaps and bounds since 2013 (turbo engine, quieter cabin, reliability trending, ect.) while the X3 has a ceiling in terms of pricing and not stealing sales away from higher models.

Last edited:
If the X-drive in the X3 is anything like the X-drive in a 4 series coupes, most likely better.

As a former BMW owner, I had lots of loaners from the dealer while my car was being serviced. Most of these were 3-series or X3's. I think I got a 4-series once. To me, the 3's were "Meh", lacking any soul. All of the 4-cyl BMWs I've driven had lots of lag when not in Sport mode. In Sport mode they did better. I really like the low-end responsiveness of the CX-5 Turbo, although it does seem to come at the expense of MPG. The BMWs did better at higher RPMs.

I made the mistake of buying into BMW and now I regret not noticing the CX-5 first. I plan to switch as soon as I find a great deal on a CPO. BMW is a nice car, but not worth the cost of ownership. Plus a lot of annoying douche things, like an annual fee for ACP and premium fuel requirement.

I made the mistake of buying into BMW and now I regret not noticing the CX-5 first. I plan to switch as soon as I find a great deal on a CPO. BMW is a nice car, but not worth the cost of ownership. Plus a lot of annoying douche things, like an annual fee for ACP and premium fuel requirement.

giphy.gif

I did

Theres a 70$ workaround for that annual fee. [emoji2369]

BTW, I just test drove the signature. Punching the gas in that is so different from the regular CX5. [emoji50]

BTW, I just test drove the signature. Punching the gas in that is so different from the regular CX5. [emoji50]

Yup. There really is no reason I'd advise anyone to buy the non-turbo CX5 unless they were looking t o buy a stripped down model for cheap, honestly. If you can't afford the Signature/ GT-R, over the Grand Touring, then you can't afford a new vehicle at the moment.

Back