Grinding issue left front

mitcher

2011 2 with 54k on it. Have had for about a year with 90% highway miles. Recently at speeds 30-60mph when making a slight left hand turn I am hearing a grinding noise from left front tire. Let it go until rotors were warped and thought that may have been the issue. Changed pads/rotors with no resolution of issue. Jacked car up and noticed some play in left front tire when hands placed at 12 and 6. Notice with that movement some movement of cv axle. Boot is intact and I hear no noise when tire is turned by hand. Is there a possibility of something just being loose? Is this definitely an axle issue or could it possibly be my wheel bearing?

Thanks
Mitch

Sounds like wheel bearing. Shake it while someone looks at it. Look for movement of brake rotor in relation to knuckle(bearing), LCA vs knuckle(ball joint), and tie rod end be knuckle(bad outer TRE).

Sounds like wheel bearing, due to the grinding noise and change in tone when turning.

Thankyou for the response. I will take a look at that. What if I were to say the noise is more of a metal rubbing together sound. Does that change you thinking it's a bearing issue.

Another thing to check is if the heat shield for the brakes is bent slightly and hitting the rotor somewhere. You should be able to bend it back by hand.

Another thing to check is if the heat shield for the brakes is bent slightly and hitting the rotor somewhere. You should be able to bend it back by hand.

This too, it may be possible you have enough play in the bearing that the rotor is hitting the shield anyway.

Or rotor hitting the caliper bracket.

Back