Getting closer to a Goat...

What are some of the problems with American cars? I've never owned one. Can I rely on American cars?

1. I don't really need a 4 door... although the G8 is looking good too, but won't be out till early 2008
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_chicago/0702_2008_pontiac_g8/photo_01.html
2. I don't really need a large trunk, all I have in there now is my gym bag, first aid kit and flashlight.
3. Not concerned about snow (also I'm in STL majority of time) I can switch out the tires with winter tires during winter months, as I did when I had a G35 (rear drive). I can also use my girlfriend's SUV if need to. Plus STL is not as bad during winter months. Very mild on snow days, except this year.
4. I don't trade, always sell the car on my own first. I'll have 2 cars until it sells.

Bottom line... is this a good quality make??? I've owned Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti and Mazda and not once did I have to go to the dealer b/c something broke down. I just hope American cars is just the same or close to it???

i have a few friends who work at two Pontiac dealers here in Lake County who deride the GTO and Solstice as repair nightmares.

the Solstice they say is simply junk from back to front. the GTO has a fine motor and tranny (i would hope seeing as GM has been cranking out cam in block pushrod v8s for about a million years now) but the rest of the car is a warranty nightmare. the parts come right from down under, so there is the occasional wait, and they spend a good deal of time for stupid things in the shop. this comes from some techs at the two dealers, so its thier .02 not mine mind you.

i love this quote;

Bottom line... is this a good quality make??? I've owned Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti and Mazda and not once did I have to go to the dealer b/c something broke down. I just hope American cars is just the same or close to it???

there's a reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in major financial straits. they'll tell you its "cost of labor and pension plans" but it really boils down to "we ain't selling cars." in 1970 GM commanded close to 50% of auto sales in the US and they are struggling now to maintain 25% globally. its generally been the perception over the last twenty years that imported automobiles are made to a better standard than a domestic car. Toyota has never offered a rebate program and can't keep Camrys on the lot while Chevy can't dump Malibus for thousands less. Quality is alot better, but its taken them decades to get there and its still not on par with Japan.

My family has owned several Fords, a Dodge and a few GMs. The Fords are true POS status from the day we drove them off the lot, and the current GM we own has seen its fair share of the shop. The best cars in terms of quality my family ever had were a Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tercel, 76 Monte Carlo (dont build em like that anymore), VW Scirocco and Toyota Celica. Every domestic sans the Monte Carlo we have owned has just never come close.

I'd bleed on the flag to keep its stripes red, but you'd never catch me buying an American car. and please don't give me the lip about "keeping jobs in america." buying an ohio made Hyundai Sonata keeps more jobs in America than buying anything made by the General or Blue Oval in Canada, Mexico or Korea.

ChicagoKid said:
That dude is a dumb ass!!!
But that what I'm talking about... pure American muscle!!! (usa)
I usually listen to these burnout videos, I don't really watch.

Before you take Ken's words to heart, really look into it. I have more to say in response to Ken's reply, but I'm at work. Don't get discouraged..

k-lea said:
Before you take Ken's words to heart, really look into it. I have more to say in response to Ken's reply, but I'm at work. Don't get discouraged..

i am sure there are differing opinions and different experiences to be had with the car, my word shouldn't be taken as gospel, and like i said its just my .02 and that of the people i know who regularly work on them here. to be honest and aric will confirm, both the solstice and GTO were at the top of my list a year+ ago. i had hopes that either one of them would bring me to the stables of the red white and blue, but alas was not to be.

damn k-lea, is that you in your avatar?

anyways, GTO are fast cavaliers...with all due respect. They are a POS, over all...fast? you betcha. Slam the door and you will hear your car rattle for 5 seconds...wait 10k miles and the problems become intense. etc etc...if you want muscle, buy a stang like half the US has done. The GTO is the RWD version of the SRT4. Fast and bad. If you want something fast in the same range buy an EVO RS, the tunning market is beyond limits, and you can put a GTO to shame any day...if you have the patience. then just wait until tuner market for the MS6 develops.

If what you're looking for is pure american muscle, then i suggest you wait until committing something stupid and buying a GTO cuz you lack patience. Next year, they are releasing the G8 (sick pontiac, as much as i hate the make) and the dodge challenger.

to each, his own.

Where the hell are you people getting your information?!

ps: no, that's not me. it's my main squeeze.

Made up my mind... I am picking up a 350Z instead. I'll keep my MS6 until it sell and I will buy a used Mazda3 for winter months. I just can't decide to go with a convertible or not??? Spring fever just hit me! (cool)

Last edited:
Karma_hunden said:
damn k-lea, is that you in your avatar?

anyways, GTO are fast cavaliers...with all due respect. They are a POS, over all...fast? you betcha. Slam the door and you will hear your car rattle for 5 seconds...wait 10k miles and the problems become intense. etc etc...if you want muscle, buy a stang like half the US has done. The GTO is the RWD version of the SRT4. Fast and bad. If you want something fast in the same range buy an EVO RS, the tunning market is beyond limits, and you can put a GTO to shame any day...if you have the patience. then just wait until tuner market for the MS6 develops.

If what you're looking for is pure american muscle, then i suggest you wait until committing something stupid and buying a GTO cuz you lack patience. Next year, they are releasing the G8 (sick pontiac, as much as i hate the make) and the dodge challenger.

to each, his own.

I want to go on record as categorically disagreeing with this whole post. My friend has a 2006 GTO (400hp) with just and intake and exhaust. He let me drive it for a week while he was on biz recently. I thought the car was heavy in the turns and a little loose in the caboose but once you figure out when the power really comes on the car is fun and SOLID. The doors shut like my Acura(Tight and quiet), the car had no rattles and the only thing that really bugged me was it was much louder inside than my Acura. Other than that...a fun ride for Florida. Would I like to own one...if gas was cheaper...yes.

Oh, and for what it is worth his has 30k miles on it and it has never been in the shop once.(rockon)

1killercls said:
I want to go on record as categorically disagreeing with this whole post. My friend has a 2006 GTO (400hp) with just and intake and exhaust. He let me drive it for a week while he was on biz recently. I thought the car was heavy in the turns and a little loose in the caboose but once you figure out when the power really comes on the car is fun and SOLID. The doors shut like my Acura(Tight and quiet), the car had no rattles and the only thing that really bugged me was it was much louder inside than my Acura. Other than that...a fun ride for Florida. Would I like to own one...if gas was cheaper...yes.

Oh, and for what it is worth his has 30k miles on it and it has never been in the shop once.(rockon)

*nods*

When I was in the car market, the GTO was on my list, but it lost beacuse of RWD and I needed a 4 door. 400 HP was extremly nice, but that is what my mustang is for.
Just buy it and get a beater FWD for snow days.

Is 30k miles a big milestone for dependability these days? Dude, it's GM, never a good idea. Personally, I'd rather keep the MS6 than get a 350Z.
I love the sleeper factor, as well as the practicality of a 4-door.

TinmanMS6 said:
Is 30k miles a big milestone for dependability these days? Dude, it's GM, never a good idea. Personally, I'd rather keep the MS6 than get a 350Z.
I love the sleeper factor, as well as the practicality of a 4-door.

GM makes great trucks and SOME of thier cars are just as good or better than Japanese. Let's not be ignorant and generalize about cars brands.

1killercls said:
GM makes great trucks and SOME of thier cars are just as good or better than Japanese. Let's not be ignorant and generalize about cars brands.

Wrd.

I don't know about the states you guys live in but Ford and GM take up 95% of the roads. IF they were such crap, I don't see this happening.

I'll give you that GM is coming out with some interesting cars, and their quality appears to be improving, but in recent history their cars have been crap. My girlfriend works at a Chevy dealership, but drives a Jeep because there's nothing on their lot that she'd want to drive, short of a Corvette. Also, IMO the GTO looks too much like a Grand Prix.

The GTO the Mustang the 350z are all very nice cars. Each one does somethign better that the other two and vice versa. I would say go get any of them....if you can afford to have a "winter beater". I don't even want to drive my MS6 in the salt and snow. Any of those cars deserve to be garaged in the winter. :D

TinmanMS6 said:
I'll give you that GM is coming out with some interesting cars, and their quality appears to be improving, but in recent history their cars have been crap. My girlfriend works at a Chevy dealership, but drives a Jeep because there's nothing on their lot that she'd want to drive, short of a Corvette. Also, IMO the GTO looks too much like a Grand Prix.

When I worked at Mazda I didn't want to drive anything Mazda, does that mean Mazda is crap? No.

Everything has a history, everything can use some improvement. I've done a poop load of research on these things and nothing is really telling me to not buy. The only thing that was a *major* problem was one shipment from Aussie land. Some GTO's suspension was damaged and it was causing the front tires to rub the struts and blow out. Easy to find out if the GTO you are looking at has this problem, but anywho..

For what it's worth..my Miata (first one) was in and out of the shop. BUT, I didn't discredit Mazda because every car is different and this s*** happens.

The GTO looks nothing like a Grand Prix, don't know how you got that one.

Last edited:
HAHA I just read the thread title and got a little scared. By goat i thought you meant the animal. Some people into that. HAH (dunno)

if you can afford 13mpg and blizzaks then you dont have to worry. who the hell has a problem driving 25mph and under in the snow? traction control works on the goat fine. my best friend has shown me in 3 inches of snow. blizzaks on anything will work. 2004 GTO with 50 less HP and a smaller engine TOYS with the ms6. same goes for a new Mustang. Blizzaks all around.

Back