GB: Signature Products Oil Catch Cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
AN is overkill for a PCV system, and adds a lot of cost to a setup that would be equally as functional with cheap hose connectors.

This may be true for some people, but not for all. The braided hoses have a tougher inner liner, resist abrasions, hold their form in the heat and have a VERY secure connection. The AN fittings are reusable and easy to take off if you ever need to remove the catch can from the car. If you are running lots of boost, the peace of mind knowing they arent going to come off is nice, plus vacuum leaks suck no matte rhow you look at it. When the motor warms up, so do the hoses and if they arent clamped right, it can make them leak.

Some people will choose the braided hose just for looks. If they have braided hose for their fuel system, then it looks bad ass to have it on the catch cans too. But its all preference.

Keep in mind that just about anything to configure the tanks is possible. Hose barbs, AN fittings, push-lok, finishers, worm clamps, crimp on, PEX style... doesnt matter. The concept of all his products is tailor made and one of a kind. To have something nobody else does at a very reasonable price is not easy to come by. Especially for something that functions as good as the PCV eliminator. The one-off custom paint jobs on the catch cans alone are worth more than what he charges for the entire unit.

Looks good. (2thumbs)

What's an estimated date for production of the catch cans and later, the coolant cans?

Looks good. (2thumbs)

What's an estimated date for production of the catch cans and later, the coolant cans?

Catch cans can be made right away. The coolant tanks are in a "raw" state and need a few days for fabrication. They are all made to order. All you gotta do is place your custom order, give him a week or so and you will have a one off set! Its best to discuss your custom requirements with him so he can give you an idea on overall cost.

Ohhh, I thought you were making a bunch of catch cans and coolant cans and were going to let everyone know when they're ready. Shoot. My bad.

May I please have a quote for black cans with silver tops, please? Oil and coolant. Thanks. :)

(just the cans for now since I'm not sure of hose length or fittings for a while)

received my parcel from CR3 and all i can say is a huge Thank You

I only opened the box to make sure everything was in one piece and to take the few parts out i needed today for the garage.

IMG-20120402-00146.jpg

Last edited:
I like and also noticed you have a power steering resevior in the picture. Something I've been asking for; for some time now.

I like and also noticed you have a power steering resevior in the picture. Something I've been asking for; for some time now.

I've owned that PS can for a long time now, i actually sent it back to Brian to be coated. IIRC it was one of the very first ones he made. But i have heard that there might be a very limited run of those some time soon..

Last edited:
I never put the final picture in this thread. My bracket was a little flimsy but the hoses stabilized the cans well enough. I went with push lock because it was a littler cheaper and since I didn't have anything else braided in the engine bay I thought it might look out of place.

My only problem is after half a tank of gas my car threw a lean code while idling. I have a scanner and the O2 is oscillating just fine at idle. The short term trims seem a tad high at idle, but the torque android app isn't reading LTFT correctly, so I don't know how far off from the base maps I am.

I've always had the suspicion that if the breather pulls in fresh unmetered air and then the crank case ventilated it back into the IM, then I would run lean. This is why the breather was connected to the intake post MAF in the stock setup. However, if this was the case, everyone who has replaced the breather tube with a filter would throw a lean code. Perhaps they do.

The other quirk is that the bottles whistle when I shut off the car. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I am running more air through them than I should be, hence the lean code.

3acGj.jpg

I never put the final picture in this thread. My bracket was a little flimsy but the hoses stabilized the cans well enough. I went with push lock because it was a littler cheaper and since I didn't have anything else braided in the engine bay I thought it might look out of place..

The brackets are made of 1/8" thick aluminum. This is twice the thickness of the others offered out there.

My only problem is after half a tank of gas my car threw a lean code while idling. I have a scanner and the O2 is oscillating just fine at idle. The short term trims seem a tad high at idle, but the torque android app isn't reading LTFT correctly, so I don't know how far off from the base maps I am..

Only about 500 catch cans sold for everything from Hondas to Nissans and BMW's to Mazdas, 7.0L turbo diesels with 800whp/ 1200tq and even LS1 Vettes have this system installed. This is the first hearing of this issue. Sounds to me like the motor might need to be tuned for running so much better breathing easier and less drag from windage reduction. Trims may have been over compensating to begin with.

I've always had the suspicion that if the breather pulls in fresh unmetered air and then the crank case ventilated it back into the IM, then I would run lean. This is why the breather was connected to the intake post MAF in the stock setup. However, if this was the case, everyone who has replaced the breather tube with a filter would throw a lean code. Perhaps they do..

The breather is pushing and pulling all the time. If this were the case you would be lean with the stock setup too. When the PCV closes the lower crancase air is being sent into the intake tract. Did you make sure to plug off the hole in the intake where the breather tube originally plugged in?

The other quirk is that the bottles whistle when I shut off the car. Anyone else notice this? Maybe I am running more air through them than I should be, hence the lean code.

Both tanks whistle? The PCV Eliminator tank is sealed... The breather tank could be the culprit, but sounds like you have some serious blow by issues to be pulling that much air at idle. Have you done a compression test yet?

I haven't had someone turn off the car for me so I can listen to the cans closely, but I would assume only the breather can is actually making the whistle sound, since the PCV can is sealed.

Perhaps I do have bad compression, but the car runs fine otherwise. I suppose I could go pick up a tester from harbor freight or borrow one from Autozone.

At idle the IM has good vacuum, so wouldn't the vacuum hold the PCV open and then just pull air through the valve cover from the breather? When stock, this wouldn't cause it to run lean because the breather tube is connected to the intake tract post MAF.

I blocked off the old breather port on my Injen with a rubber nipple I found at Autozone. It is on pretty snug, so it is probably not the culprit.

There may be some other vacuum leak I haven't found yet. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

BTW, the brackets on the cans are plenty sturdy, but the bracket I made to attach them to the transmission mount is a little flimsy and the cans wobble a bit without the hoses attached.

Last edited:
CEL keeps reappearing at idle. Done a couple walk-throughs on the engine bay. Not sure what else it could be. I have those extra straight push lock AN hose ends. I think I could still connect the breather to my injen and see if that stops the CEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back