Found an engine oil leak (2019 CX-5)

It is also a common problem on 3.5V Toyota/Lexus V6 engines.
Expensive job. He said $2600.
He does say that there is no urgency to get it fixed unless it bothers the owners.
Mine 16 RX350 quoted for $4500 that’s the reason I traded in a brand new CX-5

It is also a common problem on 3.5V Toyota/Lexus V6 engines.
Expensive job. He said $2600.
He does say that there is no urgency to get it fixed unless it bothers the owners.
Neither the front timing cover oil leak (nor the two other most common engine problems he cites) are common in that Toyota 2GR-FE 6 cylinder. When an engine problem occurs those three issues are the most common and can be quite expensive. That's very different from being common.

As the Car Care Nut observes, the 2GR-FE was a Toyota/Lexus go-to 6 cylinder engine for a decade or more, many millions of units sold. If it was anything but a very good engine Toyota's and Lexus's reputation for reliability would not be what it is. The Car Care Nut says as much saying it is a beautifully designed engine.

Anecdotal experiences with one unit are not predictive of reliability in the model year in general, if that needs to be said. While a reported problem is unfortunate for that particular owner it's the aggregated data that matters for other owners. I happen to have this 2GR-FE in my 2014 Toyota Sienna purchased new with 110,000 miles. It has not leaked or burned a drop of oil yet with an average 7,000 mile oil change interval and general indifference toward the oil put in it. But that does not matter. What is more relevant is the many Toyota model years with this engine where Consumer Reports has assigned 5 out of 5 for major and minor engine reliability, including my 2014 Sienna.

I've watched a number of the Car Care Nut's videos. He's obviously an accomplished Toyota mechanic and good at presentation. But if he doesn't do videos on broken vehicles he wouldn't have much of a youtube channel. There wouldn't be much to say about the many millions that never entered his shop. The other think I've noticed: he often does not say how many miles are on the vehicle in question, sometimes he doesn't even mention the year! I don't think he mentioned the miles on that 2015 Lexus.

Feel free to apply here the lesson that anecdotal reports are worthless to anybody other than the person making the report or the very small percentage of other owners experiencing the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
In follow-up to the above post, go to the 4:05 mark in the following video:

Note that the 2014 - 2016 Highlander is on his list of most reliable "middle aged" Toyotas, a "star". That vehicle has the 2GR-FE engine and he even singles it out by name as easily a 200,000 mile engine with just basic maintenance.

See how this works?

Back